Thread: Ass Boil Issues

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ass Boil Issues

I have just missed my first race due to a boil that brought me down with a high fever and flulike body aches. Antibiotics have cured the latter symptoms but the boil is slowly healing and still pretty painful.

This is my second year of serious mountain biking having no issues last year and already 2 boils this year. My training rides are more intense this year but actual seat time hasn't changed much from last year.

How do I avoid this again? I have read to use chamois cream or Bag Balm but I would think that would plug the pores and keep things moist, especially after a ride or race when you cant get it immediately cleaned off.

I have started supplementing with fish oil over the winter, I am thinking the extra oils in my system may be the reason for the boils??

The only other change from last year is the switch to a 29er.

Any thoughts?

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Definitely the 29er, get a proper bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPH KID
    I have just missed my first race due to a boil that brought me down with a high fever and flulike body aches. Antibiotics have cured the latter symptoms but the boil is slowly healing and still pretty painful.

This is my second year of serious mountain biking having no issues last year and already 2 boils this year. My training rides are more intense this year but actual seat time hasn't changed much from last year.

How do I avoid this again? I have read to use chamois cream or Bag Balm but I would think that would plug the pores and keep things moist, especially after a ride or race when you cant get it immediately cleaned off.

I have started supplementing with fish oil over the winter, I am thinking the extra oils in my system may be the reason for the boils??

The only other change from last year is the switch to a 29er.

Any thoughts?
    You may want to back off on the ass butter.....Think dry, use a thicker water absorbant pad.

Boils might be due to ingrown hair, that has rubbbed off....

Are you sure you don't have a rectal abcess??? Totally different situation.

mtbr member

once healed, use rubbing alchohol

on the region of interest after every ride. This has kept the saddle sores away from me for the last year.

(I am assuming the problem is on the skin and not internal)

Giant Anthem
    I did this wrong for years but, don't wear underwear while riding. You may already not wear white tighties but no one told me until I seen on a post. Much less irritation as cotton hurts!

-No underwear

-Quality pair of biking shorts

-Chamois butter

-Take shower immediately after every ride and scrub all crevices thoroughly with antibacterial body wash.

Hope this helps
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The 29" wheels are definitely the problem.

Seriously though, a new bike with a different position and seat giving you different pressure points could have something to do with it. I personally don't have issues and don't use chamois cream, but I know a lot of people swear by it. I keep my neither regions scrupulously clean, as in use rubbing alcohol after showering. I also keep my shorts clean, pretty much run through a rotation of 3-4 pairs of shorts and hand wash after almost every ride. (Generally don't bother if the ride was under an hour and not wet/muddy)

BBW
    mtbr member
    take the bike shorts OFF as soon as you get to the car and use medicated or antimicrobial wippies. Chamois butter will displace the water. Also make sure your saddle is placed correctly and you are seating with the right bones (isquial tuberosities)
    if you ge the change, insulin needles and some antiinflamatory/antibiotic injected in the boil is the BEST and will go down in a matter of a couple a days

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    If you can't have a shower right away do what I do, baby wipes to clean the area. I keep them in a zip lock bag in the truck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    When I get a saddle sore I use Desitin. Gotta use the name brand, and it works well when used after the rides to help heal it up quicker. During rides I use clean shorts that have a good pad and apply plenty of Assos cream. Change out quickly and shower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sitz bath: definitely kills off the bacteria. Use 1/2 cup epsom salt to couple gallons warm water. http://www.ehow.com/how_4732284_do-sitz-bath-home.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks to all for the advice. Just need to heal up before riding again.

Waiting for Godot
    bag balm will block pores but give you better lubrication. it does load up on your chamois and is greasy. not the best choice. using different "clean" shorts everyday, and seat save from hammernutrition.com. its got some extra ingredients to help heal, lube and protect those sensitive area.

preventative measures are the best advice here. also you may need a different size or shape saddle to reduce inflammation and rubbing.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, I already use some Hammer products with great results, will try Seat Save.