Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mnoutain bkie rdier

Aspartame and muscle cramping issues

I was lurking in the "race day food" thread and this came to mind...

Anyone have any idea (research done) or personal experience that would lead one to believe that perhaps aspartame and other artificial sweeteners can lead to muscle cramps.

I have really never had muscle cramping issues till this season. Yeh yeh..I know...train harder to prevent them right

BUT, this is the first year where I have really cut back on sugar as a sweetener for my coffee and replaced with my daily 2 packets of splendid SPLENDA each morning for coffee.

Ironically this is the first year where I have been having issues with muscle cramping. Hmm..

Thoughts?
    Last edited by rydbyk; 06-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.

XCdude

Well a couple of years back I switched to diet coke

and after 6 months or so I started to get some of the most insane full body cramps ever. The legs would just cramp up at night, I mean painful cramp's you could see the muscle knot's. So I stopped the diet soda and the cramps when away.

I did a 100km race not properly trained and no cramps, so that's my story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting theory! Justin still cramps at certain time/distance races (e.g. Sea Otter this past April he still got cramps, but generally is ok in "normal" XC races), but I don't think anything we eat has aspartame in it. 3 years ago? Sure, I bet a LOT of the processed foods we ate included it.

PS - be a real man and drink it black! Buy a hand grinder and a French press :P

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    Interesting theory! Justin still cramps at certain time/distance races (e.g. Sea Otter this past April he still got cramps, but generally is ok in "normal" XC races), but I don't think anything we eat has aspartame in it. 3 years ago? Sure, I bet a LOT of the processed foods we ate included it.

Evolution of my coffee drinking has been as follows:

Grande iced mocha with whip

Grande iced mocha without whip

Grande iced mocha with no whip and only 2 pumps chocolate

Grande iced mocha with no whip and only 1 pump chocolate

Grande iced coffee (no mocha), nonfat milk and 2 splenda

Adios Starbucks...make my own coffee at home with nonfat milk and 2 splenda

So...yeh...I am getting there. Patience lady..ha

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

So...yeh...I am getting there. Patience lady..ha
    ha! I hear you... Justin didn't used to drink coffee without about 3-4oz of French Vanilla creamer

mtbr member
    I shall try that evolution! I'm not a coffee drinker at all. "I like my sugar with coffee and cream!"

mtbr member
    But I thought Splenda and Aspartame were two entirely different sweetners?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by KAriadne View Post
    But I thought Splenda and Aspartame were two entirely different sweetners?
    Yes, you are correct. My title is a bit misleading it seems..sorry. When I cut out sugar, I ended up with Splenda and other artificial sweeteners such as aspartame in Diet Coke etc...

Seems like it is hard to avoid if you want ANY sort of "help" with beverages being somewhat sweetened.

Maybe I would be better off with a teaspoon of real sugar in my coffee each morning??

mtbr member
    Agave? I dont know if it mixes with coffee well though.

XCdude

Agave mixes great with coffee, is what I use as

a sweetener for everything now. You can find 2 types light and dark, I use it for pancakes and so on, very low in the glycemic index.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Maybe I would be better off with a teaspoon of real sugar in my coffee each morning??
    This is how it started for me, now I've dropped it all for nearly calorie-less crappy-tasting straight black coffee that we get for free at work. I throw a few cubes of ice to cool it down, and straight slam it. I don't like the taste, at all, really but I consider myself a utilitarian when it comes to drinking coffee...

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones View Post
    This is how it started for me, now I've dropped it all for nearly calorie-less crappy-tasting straight black coffee that we get for free at work. I throw a few cubes of ice to cool it down, and straight slam it. I don't like the taste, at all, really but I consider myself a utilitarian when it comes to drinking coffee...
    LOL...seriously. I rarely write LOL, but LOL Also, I have some agave at home...will try in coffee. Kinda tastes like honey imo... might be odd in coffee, but thx for the idea from other poster..

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    yes! fake sugar is the devil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    yes! fake sugar is the devil.
    Agreed...no way artificial sweetener can be healthier than a natural sugar.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    You can try Stevia instead of Splenda.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    LOL...seriously. I rarely write LOL, but LOL Also, I have some agave at home...will try in coffee. Kinda tastes like honey imo... might be odd in coffee, but thx for the idea from other poster..
    There is flavored agave as well

mnoutain bkie rdier
    There is flavored agave as well
    Well, I am happy to report that I have been using agave in my Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Sumatra now for a few days and like it.

Flavored agave? Really? Does it come in mocha

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, I am happy to report that I have been using agave in my Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Sumatra now for a few days and like it.

Flavored agave? Really? Does it come in mocha
    Pretty sure also either Espresso or Chocolate?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    so we are using some sort of processed agave stuff with fake flavoring in it on the grounds that it is better for you than simple cane sugar?

XCdude

Real gave has nutritional value, has a very

so we are using some sort of processed agave stuff with fake flavoring in it on the grounds that it is better for you than simple cane sugar?
    low glycemic index. So is better than sugar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't use any of that stuff in coffee, I was just passing along the info I'm sure it is no healthier.

Saw dried coconut meat at Costco yesterday and got excited, until I read the ingredients list and saw a bunch of ish I try not to ingest! Back to having Justin open the coconut, letting the water drip out, then cutting up the "hairy" meat to bake off the outside and eat. Stuff is so good.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    ah, yeah, there is that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Artificial sweeteners aren't "food"...Its powder that sort of tastes like sugar that you can't digest.

Don't ask me how i know but thread lock has a sweet taste to it.....might as well drip some of that in coffee your body can't digest it....same idea

If you are craving sugar eat sugar, your body wants sugar.

mnoutain bkie rdier

meh

Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    Web MD:

Is Agave Healthier Than Sugar? continued...
    Agave nectar or syrup is as high as 90% concentrated fructose (a simple sugar that occurs naturally in fruit), and the rest glucose. But the agave you can buy ranges from 90% to as little as 55% fructose (similar to high-fructose corn syrup), depending on the processing, says Roger Clemens, professor at the University of Southern California and a spokesman for the Institute of Food Technologists.
    And concentrated fructose sweeteners don't seem to offer any health advantages. In fact, a study in the Journal of Clinical Investigation suggested that consuming fructose may be less healthy than consuming similar amounts of glucose. Study participants who consumed fructose were found to gain more unhealthy visceral fat, were more insulin-resistant, and were at greater risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
    One of the most celebrated properties of agave is its profile on the glycemic index, a scale that measures how much various foods raise blood sugar levels. Agave ranks lower than many other sweeteners on the glycemic index. As a result, some manufacturers tout it as a "diabetic friendly" sugar. But, according to Clemens, "there is inconsistent evidence to assign a glycemic value to any food, and it should not be used as a green light for diabetics."
    In fact, the American Diabetes Association lists agave along with other sweeteners (table sugar, honey, brown sugar, molasses, fructose, maple sugar, and confectioner’s sugar) that should be limited in diabetic diets.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008

French presses are for boys, Bialetti are for MEN!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast