Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    born to chill
    Reputation: flowmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    986

    Apparently Coke is a great recovery tool

    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    341
    yeah I keep the white stuff for pre-race breakfast

  3. #3
    is turning a big gear
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    504
    Good race. Who's your coach?

    My dad!
    Get it unlocked.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yeti2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    317
    If I recall Sprite was marketed as a sports drink as well.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    720
    It is. Especially during a 12 hour race, a "Mexican Coke" is fantastic!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    229
    Don't quite a few of the American Tour de France riders get a can of coke in their feed-bags? I know Lance Armstrong did quite often, and well, he won 7 tour de frances... it MUST have been the coke, MUST have!

  7. #7
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
    It is. Especially during a 12 hour race, a "Mexican Coke" is fantastic!
    Is that like a Mexican cigarette? Which involves coke as well...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    Chocolate milk is better. Better than sport drinks. Read a study in a recent bike mag.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Is that like a Mexican cigarette? Which involves coke as well...
    Pretty sure you are joking but, "Mexican Coke" is the cola, made in Mexico with cane sugar, instead of "American Coke" which is made with HFCS.

  10. #10
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Chocolate milk is great for post workout. Not as great as a whey sup but better than water or sports drink
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  11. #11
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
    Pretty sure you are joking but, "Mexican Coke" is the cola, made in Mexico with cane sugar, instead of "American Coke" which is made with HFCS.
    Doncha just love farm subsidies here in the states?

    And btw, there is nothing funny about Mexican cigarettes.

    Lol
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    195
    Mexican coke would work. I've been toting with the idea of a flat monster on the first lap. Caffiene, Taurine (osmotic regulation; cramp buster) and sucrose.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Mexican coke would work. I've been toting with the idea of a flat monster on the first lap. Caffiene, Taurine (osmotic regulation; cramp buster) and sucrose.
    Ive been thinking about that too, and I like your idea of letting it go flat

  14. #14
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    I used to do that with beer before chugging contests. Highschool...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  15. #15
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,989
    Ok so I saw this at my brothers 100k Leadville Qualifier and was a bit perplexed by it. So what is this about? I am going to start training for next year as I want to do the local mtb race circuit and just doing my research portion right now.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  16. #16
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
    It is. Especially during a 12 hour race, a "Mexican Coke" is fantastic!
    They were selling Mexican coke next to American,well United States of America(n) coke at the Mass. State Championships. I guess there is a lot of cost involved in transporting it from the wholesale club because it was twice the price as the domestic.
    What was it the P.T. Barnum said...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Poncharelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    They were selling Mexican coke next to American
    Kinda funny that Coke got so screwed up (with HFCS) that the old formula becomes the "healthy alternative".

    I remember in HS track in the mid-80s, coke was like a performance enhancer for us, before running our sprints at meets. The coach would also bring sliced oranges in an ice cooler, and we would eat them throughout the day. Sugar and Vitamin C, thats the ticket!!
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

  18. #18
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Kinda funny that Coke got so screwed up (with HFCS) that the old formula becomes the "healthy alternative".

    I remember in HS track in the mid-80s, coke was like a performance enhancer for us, before running our sprints at meets. The coach would also bring sliced oranges in an ice cooler, and we would eat them throughout the day. Sugar and Vitamin C, thats the ticket!!
    I'm not a soda drinker, but is there anything better than a coke after a race?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Poncharelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I'm not a soda drinker, but is there anything better than a coke after a race?
    Yes, a coke at mile 60 of a 70 mile off-road race.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

  20. #20
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Chocolate milk is great for post workout. Not as great as a whey sup but better than water or sports drink
    Try and find a "whey sup" at a 7-11.
    I don't rattle.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    874
    Just about anything is better than a coke. Pardon the jokesters to your question. Water, protein shake, recovery bar. Biggest thing you need is something that gives you protein and replaces electrolytes.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    176
    I often drink a Dr. Pepper or Monster Energy drink as a pre-ride boost.

  23. #23
    .
    Reputation: nomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Just about anything is better than a coke. Pardon the jokesters to your question. Water, protein shake, recovery bar. Biggest thing you need is something that gives you protein and replaces electrolytes.
    you need to get your body out of a catabolic state first, so you stop losing all the muscle you've worked so hard to gain. coke will do that because of the sugar.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    874
    That's why you consume a sugary drink (such as gatorade) during the race. Carbonation also is not good for a dehydrated body. Better than nothing, yes, but not better than just water.

Similar Threads

  1. Biketiresdirect.com is having a great tool sale
    By appleSSeed in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
  2. Great trail tool
    By harry legs in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
  3. Great little tool, Park MLP-1
    By AL29er in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 10:31 AM
  4. Great deal on tool kit
    By machinehead131 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •