mtbr member
    May 2010

Anyone racing xc on a Santa Cruz 5010?

I just bought a Santa Cruz 5010 and love it. I thought I would still race my 27.5 carbon hard tail but I'm loving this bike so much I want to ride it at the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde. If I race the 5010 I will lighten it up with lighter wheels and tires. Is anyone out there racing this bike? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fireclimber View Post
    If I race the 5010 I will lighten it up with lighter wheels and tires. Is anyone out there racing this bike? Thanks
    I did exactly this with a Turner 5 Spot several years ago, and it worked great at the Butte 100, which is a fairly rugged course overall, and very rugged in some sections.

It certainly beat the dickens out of using my carbon hardtail.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm "racing" a 5010, but I'm also not competitive in my age group! Since it's my only bike I ride it on local enduro and xc races. This winter I lightened the bike by going to x1 and carbon rims. Bike is now 27.0 lbs and I can feel the increased acceleration.

If I had a carbon hardtail and wanted to place further up the line, that would be my choice for short races. For a 12 hour race I would add some comfort!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    U sed to have a raced out 5010- XX1, light carbon wheels and everything- sub 23 lb. Bike.
    I liked it but I realized that I was losing time on climbs to 29ers- But I am 5'10.
    I would totally rock one if I was 5'4.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I race a 2008 Blur XCc. 22.71lb converted to 27.5. It works great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireclimber View Post
    I just bought a Santa Cruz 5010 and love it. I thought I would still race my 27.5 carbon hard tail but I'm loving this bike so much I want to ride it at the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde. If I race the 5010 I will lighten it up with lighter wheels and tires. Is anyone out there racing this bike? Thanks
    I have SC solo (first year before they changed the name) and would not XC race it. I have two light weight XC 29er HT I can ride instead. One is steel Singlespeed and the other is carbon SC Highball geared. I am MUCH faster on the climbs on my HT bikes. I am faster on some descents on the Solo, but that difference is pretty minimal for most places I ride and for the XC race courses even smaller. XC races are won on the climbs and flats and most course don't need the travel and capability of your 5010. I did 24hrs of Old Pueblo on 4 man team on my SC Highball. I have 24hrs of Enchanted Forest coming up will bring that to ride on my 4 man team. My "back up" for Old Pueblo was my SS.

That said if you just want to ride and have fun ride what you want. One my friends has completed a couple XC races on his specialized Enduro 29. He was not close to winning, but did not care. He just wanted to be a part of it.

I will say however one reason I have been racing SS in my local series is that it means less equipment variation so I thing the playing field is slightly more equal. We all have HT bikes. Could be carbon, steel or Ti, but that is about all the choices.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.