mtbr member
    May 2007

Anybody running a bottle cage under the down tube?

I just set up my FSR with a second cage. I was wondering if people have done this for extended periods of time and can provide some insight. I understand the bottle will be dirty, anything else???

Are there some cages that work better than others for this application?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody running a bottle cage under the down tube?-img_2225.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've run it on my specialized for year's, it's so much nicer than having to carry a camel back. Just remeber to save the last squirt in your top bottle to clean the mouth piece of your bottom bottle.

mtbr member
    May 2007

makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by bigherc
    I've run it on my specialized for year's, it's so much nicer than having to carry a camel back. Just remeber to save the last squirt in your top bottle to clean the mouth piece of your bottom bottle.
    I never thought of that to be honest... I'd been trying to figure out if I'd wipe it off on a jersey or just spit out the first sip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have run this before on my FSR Stumpjumper but found it too hard to drink from the bottom bottle so I would only drink from the top bottle first and then stop to swap them over. The bottom bottle would get really dirty when riding wet/muddy conditions but easily fixed with some glad wrap and a rubber band to protect the mounthpiece until you swap bottles.

I don't run it anymore because when I'm racing I don't want to waste time to stop to change bottles so I just run one bottle and a small camelback if I need more. And when I'm not racing it's easier to just carry a large camelback.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i run like this all the time on my mojo. i use the same style...a ti one

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Enjoy your **** flavored water!

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Cages are made to get you to the races..

No cages for me, specially during a race, trying to fumble around looking for a straight away steering one handed without loosing time worrying about falling off the bike or running into a tree as you take your eyes off the trail for a split second looking or begging for a simple thing as a water bottle..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nalgene and Ravx make bottles with lids. I use the Nalgene and they do a good job of keeping things clean.

mtbr member
    I run an under the down tube bottle cage on my Hi Fi. I use a Cateye cage, which holds the bottle more securely than your's does. Even then, I have still ejected a bottle from it on very bumpy downhills. I now use a toe strap to hold the bottle in.

The bottle does get very dirty. I put a piece of Saran wrap over the bottle top held on with a rubber band.

mtbr member
    mud catcher around here. I'd just put the 2nd bottle in my jersey

mtbr member
    May 2007
    or just get a seat post bottle holder like the tri guys use.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

love it

I'm running a king ti cage down there, and have never lost a bottle. Yes, it gets dirty, but on Enduro stuff, I need it even with a full camelback or bottle in the jersey. I like having 2 strong bottles of Endurox with a couple hours of water in the camelback.

In an XC race, I usually get a hand-up or throw a second one my jersey pocket.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    or just get a seat post bottle holder like the tri guys use.
    seat post bottle holders are wicked heavy. It's not worth the weight. I use my third bottle holder when I am taking extended trips where I don't want to carry much on my back. i also use the bottom down tube cage with a stash bottle to stash my tube and repair kit. I dig having all of the weight down lower on the bike. I think it helps with handling, but it could all be in my head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody running a bottle cage under the down tube?-12442_175063254840_614474840_2575052_5033292_n.jpg  

Just Ride.
    I don't use bottles for the reason that the only holder is bolted under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my gt had it under the down tube. worked fine for regular rides where I could strap it in, but not for racing. I would never be able to get a drink from it while strapped in without stopping and could not run it without a strap as it would eject on fast technical downhills. I've tried a bunch of diferent cages, and have not found one that holds the bottle securely. of course, there was alwasy that first dirty sip too.

Bro Mountainbiker
    How will this work with downtube cable routing on a hardtail with your derailleur cables crossed?

Would the crossed cables get snagged on the cage or bolts?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I have a cage mounted under my mtb and my gravel grinder bike. Don't use 'em unless I need to, but they're there. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I use a toe strap to uber-secure the bottle. Place a sandwich-size zip loc bag over the top and secure it under the strap, it'll keep the top clean.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    How will this work with downtube cable routing on a hardtail with your derailleur cables crossed?

Would the crossed cables get snagged on the cage or bolts?
    Unless the cables cross right at the cage, shouldn't be a problem. If you need some space to make it work, take a couple of the knurled nuts that come on valve stems (you remember tubes, right?), place them between the cage and the frame.

mtbr member
    I put on the second cage for endurance races on my Jet 9, but I needed a really firm cage to keep the bottle from ejecting. I use the Profile Design KA1 cage under there and it definitely does the job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Another option I raced with last year is to get those clamps Specialized makes and put on the seat post. Here is my SS bike with one mounted (ohh she use to be so clean and wound free )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody running a bottle cage under the down tube?-nineri1.jpg  

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    If I'm out on a longer ride then I'll just toss a bottle in my jersey back pocket. Races ill get a hand up or I built a stand/holder that I grab from.
    I never fully understood the under down tube water bottle, it falls out unless you strap it
    and is guaranteed to get gnarly from riding under there!
    I remember in the 90s they made a little cover for the top of water bottles, anyone remember those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt View Post
    Another option I raced with last year is to get those clamps Specialized makes and put on the seat post. Here is my SS bike with one mounted (ohh she use to be so clean and wound free )
    ^^ This You can also get those special two bottle holders that the TRI specific bikes have. It works well if you dont throw yourself behind your saddle much.