mtbr member

Any opinions on the new real time over-the-net racing application?

Tour de Giro-Online Cycling

Anyone tried it yet?

I know this looks like road racing, but is this the stimulation in march april (and sometimes may) that us snow/ice bound, trainer crazed, racers need to get ready for summer season?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This looks like it could be really fun! I'd also love to hear if anyone has any experience with this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coryell View Post
    This looks like it could be really fun! I'd also love to hear if anyone has any experience with this.
    +1!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey guys, I'm Art Hare, and I'm the main (ok... only) developer on Tour de Giro. This is our first indoor cycling season that we've been publicly available, so reviews and experienced riders are pretty scarce.

We try to make the game extremely easy to set up and use. If you've got an ANT+ powermeter or CompuTrainer, you can be registered and in a race in about 10 minutes. It's a 2-week free trial, so there's absolutely no risk to trying it out. We had 10 races today, including several with multiple humans in them. We had a couple races this weekend with a half-dozen people, and we're growing very quickly. We also support calculated power via ANT+ speed/cadence sensors riding on trainers with known power curves. We can support 60 or more people in a single race, so as we grow we should start seeing some pretty epic races.

In a mountain-biking context, if someone sent me a GPX of a good MTB or CX route I might be able to see if it'll render well (we generate all maps dynamically, so nearly any route on the planet can be raced on TdG). The game and physics engine is focused heavily towards road-riding, but I don't see why it couldn't be adapted to MTB riding if there's demand. I guess the main shortcoming is that since mountain bike riding is a bit more of a skill/finesse sport than road riding, it'd be harder to capture as much of the sport as a PC game.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Hey Art,

Sounds great. What a neat idea. Best of luck to you and your venture. I may just have to try this soon..

-Ryd

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I tried this last night, and it's definitely a big step up in entertainment vs a traditional solo trainer ride. With other real riders (I had only the AI competitors) I imagine it would be even better. Had a couple of support questions and response was very quick. Looks very promising.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I tried this last night, and it's definitely a big step up in entertainment vs a traditional solo trainer ride. With other real riders (I had only the AI competitors) I imagine it would be even better. Had a couple of support questions and response was very quick. Looks very promising.
    Did you use a power meter? If so, were you able to pair it to both Tour De Giro as well as your head unit? I asked them if this would work. They said it should be said they had not tested it.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I used my computrainer, so didn't mess with pairing Ant + devices. Pretty sure Ant + can transmit to multiple units.

I tried mapping a ride out using ridewithgps.com, exporting the gpx, and setting that as a ride in Tour de Giro, and will try riding that tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Pretty sure Ant + can transmit to multiple units.
    Ok, thanks. That's what I thought too.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Tried it again tonight. Using a computrainer, it works pretty smooth. I mapped out a course I knew in real life using ridewithgps.com. I exported a gpx file of that course out, and imported it to tourdegiro and then was able to ride a simulation of the course. Made for an interesting ride. Tour de giro saves the data files online in pwx, tcx and csv formats, and they can then be imported into other programs or sites.