XCdude

Any golden cheetah experts

I started to use the program a couple of weeks ago, I see a few things that I can't fix or better yet I don't know why it happens. I use it wiht my PT, but just for he HRM function, I have the hub on my road bike.
    thanks

beer is good for u
    I'm no expert but I switched to it from WKO+ a year or so ago. What's the problem?

XCdude

HI Eric well the biggest issue

is that when I download from my PT, using it for HRM only. I get a 4005 watt read on all my downloads, I can't figure out where it comes from. So all my performance numbers are all over the place. I figure out that if I click on the metric, for a manual entry is gone but it seems wrong to do it like that.

So if you have any ideas, they are welcome.

mtbr member
    I did something similar yesterday. Used my PT in HRM mode (did a road race with race wheels, and was to lazy to change back to PT wheel) and did a ride . Uploaded the data (HR vs. time) in PowerAgent which is linked to Trainingpeaks.com.

The graph does come out (HR vs. Time), but everything else is blank. I was hoping for at least "ride time" to be populated. I just typed in ride time manually into training peaks.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    well the biggest issue is that when I download from my PT, using it for HRM only. I get a 4005 watt read on all my downloads, I can't figure out where it comes from. So all my performance numbers are all over the place. I figure out that if I click on the metric, for a manual entry is gone but it seems wrong to do it like that.

So if you have any ideas, they are welcome.
    As there isn't any actual power data without your Powertap that's an easy fix in Golden Cheetah v3.0.

Open the ride file - go to Edit - Right click on the Power column heading and select "Remove Column" from the menu. Save the file and that will remove all of the incorrect power readings, correcting your reports after you close and re-open the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any golden cheetah experts-golden_cheetah_remove_column.jpg  

XCdude

Wow thats information I can use

Thanks guys.. I also found the golden cheetah group on google.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have recently started Golden Cheetah 2.1 and on the whole I much prefer it to Poweragent which I have been using previously.

I have noticed though that the average power for the same ride file is about 3-4% lower when down loaded to Golden Cheetah than when downloaded to Poweragent.

This means that if I want to compare, for example, FTP tests accurately I have to download to Poweragent and then export to Golden Cheetah.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    If you're getting varying average power figures in different programs that will probably be down to how the programs treat stationary time in the ride files. Have a look at this post comparing power figures from the same power file when it was uploaded into Golden Cheetah v3.0, WKO+ 3.0, Strava and Garmin Connect.

Whats your current 30 minute TT power average?

For FTP tests, without any stopping during the test period, you should be able to create a manual lap marker covering just the FTP test. The manual lap summary ought to give you the same average power result in either program for that particular section of ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the reply but the differences were 3% on a non-stop 3 minute interval and 2.6% on a non-stop 20 minute interval. Both carried out on a flat course with no junctions.

mtbr member
    So the difference is still there when you're doing intervals without any stopping, suggesting that it isn't a zero averaging or null power issue.

The problem you describe is listed here as a bug / data issue when using a Cycleops Cervo head unit (often referred to as LYC, little yellow computer) with Golden Cheetah 2.1. The case was closed but doesn't appear to have actually been fixed.(Google cache)

"the average power reported is high for certain files. Some examples are given below. I believe that i've identified the problem to be related to saving files recorded on a powertap LYC and then converting them to .gc (native) files. The powertap files have a recording interval of 1.2 seconds, but when saving to the .gc format samples are exported at 1.0 second intervals. Additionally the tag in the gc file is set to 1.2 which leads to errors in calculation. This seems to be an issue with how we are handling .gc files rather than how we calculate the "best intervals"." Jamie Kimberley

Golden Cheetah - Bug #388: Incorrect power values for "Best Intervals" - Golden Tracker

I've attached the webpage as a PDF file for you in case the cached page doesn't display. It sounds almost exactly like your problem :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101912480/G...wertap_LYC.pdf

Have you tried Golden Cheetah 3.0 to verify whether you still have the same issue in that program? If you're going to keep using Golden Cheetah then I'd be inclined to use Golden Cheetah 3.0 in preference to Golden Cheetah 2.1 as it has more features.

I use WKO+ 3.0 for my power files. It's getting a little outdated in places but still works well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Helpful and informative as ever WR403 Thanks again. Maybe I will give V3 a look, but in the short term I will download to Poweragent then export to GC so I can compare directly to last seasons numbers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I tried downloading GC V3 and it appears to have a very effective training aid; every time I open my E-mails or FB my computer crashes.

I'm going for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    Thanks guys.. I also found the golden cheetah group on google.
    golden cheetah is very good about responding to email questions if you hit a dead end.