mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Any advice for setting up short track course?

I am in the planning stages of developing a weeknight short track series for next season. I have never attended a short track event, thus I'm seeking advice on what riders prefer in this type of event.

Looking for information like: lap distance, ratio of singletrack to open passing areas, lap race or time race (e.g., 40 minutes plus 1 lap). Any other advice?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think there should be minimal singletrack?

Enough chunk so that a cyclocross bike would not be the whip of choice.

I like to ride my bike.
    I've always thought that a short track course should have some small jumps in it, just for the fun of it. Maybe a couple hundred feet of singletrack, but mostly wide-open fast doubletrack. 5 minute loop, maybe.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Currently I'm thinking 1 - 2 mi loops depending on venue, with 80 - 90% in open passing areas. A small amount of high speed single track and maybe a small jump or two with a longer bypass option. When looking up information on other series it appears that there is a lot of variation in the length for short track events. How long time wise should the races be? With a 1 mile loop and 15 mph average speed, each lap should be completed around 4 minutes, thus a 10 lap race would be 40 minutes. Is that too long for short track?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think short track races are often based upon time, such as "20 minutes plus 2 more laps." So once 20 minutes is up, they call two laps when the leaders go through. I'm pretty sure that is how they were doing it for the Pro XCT series short track races.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    Pro/expert level times should be between 2-4 minutes max per lap. Total time is usually 20-30 minutes plus 1-3 laps (depending on lap and race length...shorter laps and race times get more added on at the end). The course should be mainly double track, and I agree that there should be some single track since it is a mountain bike race and all.
    Personally, I enjoy a wide open climb/flat section, with a solid, fun descent in between. Make sure you have a long, wide open straight at the finish...
    Also, just from personal experience, there is nothing more frustrating (and confusing for results) than when the officials don't pull correctly. I don't know if you plan to pull at all (many people don't for training type series), but if so, the leaders essentially should never lap anyone. If someone is in danger of being lapped, they should come out. I think the rule for pro races is either being out of contention or 80% of a lap behind.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.