Is it play time yet?

Any 29er XC racers having luck going tubeless?

After browsing the 29er forum here on mtbr, there does not seem to be a consensus on a reliable tubeless system. Anyone here using a trustworthy combo for XC racing? I am waiting to see what happens with the upcoming Bonti tubeless system.

Thanks,

Erik

Student of the Bike
    Tubeless 29er can be very hit-or-miss. And the penalty for a miss can be great!

My mantra for 29er tubeless is only wire bead tires and use a proven rim. This lead me to the Delgado X and wire Nanos (& Motos). I'm getting a little more comfortable with the idea of Kevlar Ignitors & maaaayyybe Bonty XR's.

With that being said, I'm planning my next rim purchase around some of Stan's new rim stock coming the first of the year!!!

Is it play time yet?
    The whole tubeless thing seems like such a hassle. Sure, there is the chance you can quickly refill a flat during a race, but it's not a guarentee. It seems most still carry a tube anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've got a stans wheelset with the 355's , use the stan's tubeless system with schwalbe little alberts and the crow. I've had no problems whatsoever, it seems no different than my 26ers.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Bonty Mustang

My buddy races 100's and 24 hour events. He has the Mustangs with a Stans 26 rim stip, and runs ignitors. He has had good luck. Losing 700 grams of tube makes a big difference. We have identical bikes and his rides way better.
    I'm going to build some 355's this winter....

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    My buddy races 100's and 24 hour events. He has the Mustangs with a Stans 26 rim stip, and runs ignitors. He has had good luck. Losing 700 grams of tube makes a big difference. We have identical bikes and his rides way better.
    What the heck kind of tubes was he running that weighed 700 grams?

I race Maxxis 124 gram 26" tubes in my 29"er tires or Salsa/Kenda 144 gram superlight 26" tubes. Either way, when combined it is 248 grams for the Maxxis and 288 grams (plus or minus a few grams) for the Salsa's. A pair of WTB 29"er specific tubes weighs in around 408 grams for two. Either way - using superlight 26"er tubes or 29"er tubes, that's a lot less than 700 grams for a pair of tubes.

Unless you were talking about your buddy was previously racing with slime filled 29"er tubes...

BB

Is it play time yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    Hmm, I've got a set of Mustang rims and Ignitors. Maybe I'll 'speriment this winter.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Typo

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    What the heck kind of tubes was he running that weighed 700 grams?

I race Maxxis 124 gram 26" tubes in my 29"er tires or Salsa/Kenda 144 gram superlight 26" tubes. Either way, when combined it is 248 grams for the Maxxis and 288 grams (plus or minus a few grams) for the Salsa's. A pair of WTB 29"er specific tubes weighs in around 408 grams for two. Either way - using superlight 26"er tubes or 29"er tubes, that's a lot less than 700 grams for a pair of tubes.

Unless you were talking about your buddy was previously racing with slime filled 29"er tubes...

BB
    I meant 500 grams. I've got some ridiculously heavy Bonty 29" tubes in there. The difference is amazing....

mtbr member
    I have been runnning dt7.1k rims, stan's strips and Maxxis Ignitors
    200lbs, very rocky terrain
    zero issues

Ride, Sleep, Work

Race Lites & Karmas

....and working great with 26er Stans rim strip.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member

I am running...

Salsa Delgado's and Bonty mustang's both w/stan's and IRC Mythos xc's. Im 245 lbs and run 40 lbs rear 38 lbs front. Zero problem's for almost a year now.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Lazy People Suck
    I raced the whole DINO (Indiana Race Series) season as an Expert running Velocity VXC 29ers, Stans Strips and Kenda Karma's. I never had an issue the entire year. I usually run 32-35 psi. I weighed 160-165lbs most of the season, running a Gary Fisher Paragon. I thought it was a great combo.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member

Tubless #1

My team has been running 29er tubless all year on either Stans Hoops (the best) or American Classics. With Nano Raptors (kevlar and wire bead), Crows, Kenda Karma and Specialized Fast Tracks. We have had minimal issues and all used around 30 psi f/r. We also ran rigid most of the year and used out WB shocks at a few races.

Stans hoops lock the tire down and are wider than the AC wheels--we used rim brakes as well.

Mike won 2 huge races this year on a 29er rigid and tubeless

No longer 26
    Bontrager 29er Mustang Disc Rims and XR Front tires with 26" Stan's Strips. It has only been a couple of months rolling this way, but I use the same set for riding and racing a GF hardtail. Still experimenting with pressure. Lowest so far has been about 30F 34R. I plan on going about 28/32 on my next ride. Parking lot test seem to be OK.
    Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    I’ve had great success using a homegrown system. I used fiber reinforced packing tape to seal the AC wheels, cut out a valve stem from an old tube, and made a sealant from latex “mold builder”, slime, and water (credit for the system goes to Walt of waltworks). So far I’ve only tried the system with Ignitors and Kenda Karmas. I’ve done 3 races with the system without any problems.

It’s a very inexpensive system and very light. At a race just this weekend I witnessed two tires blow off the rim with the Stans rim strip system (not the Stans rims). Stans is fine if you’re careful about tire and rim choices.

Members who have read this thread: 0