mtbr member
    Jul 2004

another tacx flow consistency question

from what i read on the internet the tacx flow is not an accurate power meter.
    even worse, it is not consistent in ergo mode.
    from what i understand, changing your cadence while ergo mode is set on a certain number is the cause for the inconsistency.
    my question is: if i keep the cadence the same and change the power in ergo mode will it be consistent?
    lets say i ride for a certain duration with ergo mode set on 250w at a cadence of 85 and some other time ride for the same duration with ergo mode set on 260w at a cadence of 85 with same calibration number, will the second effort be 10 watt higher?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    mine seemed to lose power quickly over time in ergo mode, even over the course of a 5 minute interval. I'm thinking perhaps using a lighter gear in ergo might help things by keeping the head cooler, also maybe putting a fan blowing on the head. Calibrating to zero and keeping a hard tire seems to help.

I had some great gains training on the flow in ergo for a couple winters. Keep the tire clean and pumped up, calibrate to zero wit a light roller pressure and just do the work. Or switch to slope mode.

I understand usin the I magic upgrade head and hooking it up to your laptop can help this issue a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Get a Computrainer if you want accurancy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the saris powerbeam also appears to be a nice product. The computrainer works well but has a lot of wires and 1980's technology like a serial port interface and those big DIN connectors like on the early computers. The software is very so-so and klunky.

Erg Videos are a fun addition to the computrainer.

I'm surprised there is not a better ergo trainer on the market. For the cost, all the major ones (CT, Tacx and Powerbeam) are all less than perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    the saris powerbeam also appears to be a nice product. The computrainer works well but has a lot of wires and 1980's technology like a serial port interface and those big DIN connectors like on the early computers. The software is very so-so and klunky.

Erg Videos are a fun addition to the computrainer.

I'm surprised there is not a better ergo trainer on the market. For the cost, all the major ones (CT, Tacx and Powerbeam) are all less than perfect.

I have a buddy who has way too much $'s who has a velotron. That thing is pretty badass but utlimately not that different than my computrainer (new purchases ship w/ the newer software). I don't have a copy of the new software but I don't really ride in anything other than the Ergo mode anyhow. There are some neat 3rd party things that take advantage of th Erg mode on the CT. Off the top of my head...

• TrainerRoad.com - works w/ other trainers/devices @ $10/month- I use this often because I'm too lazy to write my own erg files and love that they mate up w/ Sufferfest videos
    • Erg videos - I believe these work only w/ CT
    • Golden Cheetah v3 - this is in beta still but you can download a copy Here

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    I have a buddy who has way too much $'s who has a velotron. That thing is pretty badass but utlimately not that different than my computrainer (new purchases ship w/ the newer software). I don't have a copy of the new software but I don't really ride in anything other than the Ergo mode anyhow. There are some neat 3rd party things that take advantage of th Erg mode on the CT. Off the top of my head...

• TrainerRoad.com - works w/ other trainers/devices @ $10/month- I use this often because I'm too lazy to write my own erg files and love that they mate up w/ Sufferfest videos
    • Erg videos - I believe these work only w/ CT
    • Golden Cheetah v3 - this is in beta still but you can download a copy Here
    Or Sufferfest videos. You can also try PerfPro as CT software.