mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Another First race!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have been lurking on here for a little while, and everybody says go race, so I thought Id give it a shot. I took my trusty hardrock sport out this morning and signed up for the beginner class. I finished DEAD LAST, got killed for the entire nine miles, and felt like crap afterwards. But Im still sitting on a rainbow, that was the most fun Ive had in a long time. I think after taking that spanking now Ill get a little more serious and try to go faster. Thanks to all of you who urge people to go out and try it. I will have to say that everybody there was cool wether they had all the cool goodies or not. This looks like I have just picked up another exspensive hobby. Wifes gonna love it. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Hats off for finishing! The first race is always a learning event, you will figure out a bit more each race and learn what your body is good or bad at.
    It never gets easier, but you will have some brilliant days along the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by _hamilton
    Hats off for finishing! The first race is always a learning event, you will figure out a bit more each race and learn what your body is good or bad at.
    It never gets easier, but you will have some brilliant days along the way.

Great advice! Also, start hanging out with riders in your area who have race experience. Check out the corporate team races as well. Be a sponge and connect with a honest LBS owner who will take care of you...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fourfourtwo
    Well I have been lurking on here for a little while, and everybody says go race, so I thought Id give it a shot. I took my trusty hardrock sport out this morning and signed up for the beginner class. I finished DEAD LAST, got killed for the entire nine miles, and felt like crap afterwards. But Im still sitting on a rainbow, that was the most fun Ive had in a long time. I think after taking that spanking now Ill get a little more serious and try to go faster. Thanks to all of you who urge people to go out and try it. I will have to say that everybody there was cool wether they had all the cool goodies or not. This looks like I have just picked up another exspensive hobby. Wifes gonna love it. Thanks again.

If you don't mind, would you tell me what kind of training/riding you had been doing before the race? Or what pace you kept up during the race, and what kind of terrain you raced on, etc? All the details you care to share.

I'm asking because I'm going to do my first race in late June (it's the first race that is within 30 miles of me), and I'm wondering how I'll do/what beginner (or clydesdale) is like/ what kind of race pace is expected at the entry level.

Thanks.

oh, and congrats on finishing your first race!

Metalheadbikerider

Be careful....

mtb racing has been deemed highly addictive by the Surgeon General!
    Great job getting out there, that's by far the biggest hurdle (and therefore an awesome accomplishment).
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I live in S.C. , more torwards the coastal side, so there arent many trails to ride. The ones we have I think are pretty nice, but there arent many races. Most of the races are in the greenville/spartanburg area, wich is about 4 hours from me. As far as training, not much if any. I ride my bike to drop my kid off at school and head to work, then I ride home after work. Its only about a mile one way. My pace is leisurly at best. I do go to the trails a couple of times a month and ride, but again, leisurly. I am gonna start riding more now, just because I realized how out of shape I am, and I would love to be competitive sooner or later. As far as what the pace was like. I was way back after a mile or so, couldnt see anybody, got passed by little girls, and rode harder than I ever have. It was a nine mile loop through rolling hills. The leader was like 45min, I was 1hr8 min. It was really fun though. I have only been in one race now, but like these other guys say just go out and try it. Also dont feel bad if you are waaaaaayyyyy back there, nobody laughed or talked trash. Hell they were cheering like I just won the tour de france when I crossed the line. I even looked back to make sure no one else had caught me.

Members who have read this thread: 0