Code Burr

Amino Vital Review

I'm not a huge believer in the supplement craze but i'm starting to warm up to some of them. I've been sampling flaxseed oil and gnc's basic anti oxidant formula. On a side note I've found they have a nice effect on hangovers as well. So this past Saturday was a great opportunity to test out the Amino Vital packs I read about in mba. It was about 90f and 70 % humidity do to all the friggin rain we've been hit by lately.
    My plan was to ride midday 2pm and test them out halfway. I dragged my ass under a picnic table dripping with sweat and pulled out a pack. Instructions say eat or mix with water. I threw the whole thing in my mouth and almost yacked. The taste is terrible. Like ground chalk and lime. I managed to choke it down and chased with some water.
    Few minutes rest and back on the bike. The ride back was about 45 minutes and I noticed absolutely no energy gain. I did notice a small feeling of calm clarity and my head felt pretty good and clear. Next time I might mix in some hammer gel for a little energy boost since the content is almost calorie free.
    Post ride impressions: Normally after a 3 hour ride I immediately require mass calories, but after a monster energy drink, oatmeal square, and some gatorade (normal appertizers)I didnt feel extremely hungry until 4 hours post ride. Which is incredible for me. I usually scarf down a steak, cheeseburger, or something similar to refuel within the hour. I also didnt immediately feel the need for a nap/rest until around 7pm. I didnt notice any real muscle fatigue or soreness. I ended up popping another pack around 8pm with dinner and made it out for a few beers with friends.
    So is it worth the $2 a pack for a little less muscle fatigue? I think so. I usually spend more than that on post ride muchies alone. I will try to combine the next batch with some hammer gel or other energy boost.
    Anyone have any similar results?

Driven by watts inside
    I don't think there are any studies that suggest any substantial benefits can be gained from consuming straight amino acids like Amino Vital during exercise. Personally, I think it's bunk.

Your body is fueled during exercise by carbohydrates and free fatty acids. Unless that magic powder has TONS of carbs or a stimulant like caffeine in it, you're not going to feel any different.

The only time that Amino Vital could actually have *some* benefit would be post exercise with a high carb / protein shake. Your body needs the amino's to repair itself. Hence, less soreness.

During the ride, you're better off slugging down a properly mixed carb drink with a proper amount of electrolytes. And after the ride, stay away from those nasty steaks and cheeseburgers. They're doing way more harm than good. Stick with carbohydrates like pasta, rice, potatoes (no, not french fries), etc.

- Jeremy -

spotlust
    I have been using Amino Vital for many months now - both the smaller packs with the coarser yellow powder, as well as the finer white powder which is supposed to be mixed with liquid. Personally, I have found just the opposite results to you. When I down this stuff, I feel like I just had a shot of rocket fuel, the boost in energy is particularly noticeable near the end of a ride when the legs are starting to tire. I do not notice any effect on appetite. Muscle soreness is definitely reduced, and I often don't bother with any "recovery drink". I find this to be far more effective than Endurox, and also I don't get that monged out feeling like I do from Endurox. I am also now downing a pack of Amino Vital 5 minutes before the start of, and another during any longer rides, and have noticed good results in terms of endurance. What I particularly like about this product is how quickly it is absorbed. What I find strange is the fact that the white powder version, per serving, has only about half of the amino acids of the yellow powder.

On the price, I buy from Performance where the cost averages only $1 per pack.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlust
    I have been using Amino Vital for many months now - both the smaller packs with the coarser yellow powder, as well as the finer white powder which is supposed to be mixed with liquid. Personally, I have found just the opposite results to you. When I down this stuff, I feel like I just had a shot of rocket fuel, the boost in energy is particularly noticeable near the end of a ride when the legs are starting to tire. I do not notice any effect on appetite. Muscle soreness is definitely reduced, and I often don't bother with any "recovery drink". I find this to be far more effective than Endurox, and also I don't get that monged out feeling like I do from Endurox. I am also now downing a pack of Amino Vital 5 minutes before the start of, and another during any longer rides, and have noticed good results in terms of endurance. What I particularly like about this product is how quickly it is absorbed. What I find strange is the fact that the white powder version, per serving, has only about half of the amino acids of the yellow powder.

On the price, I buy from Performance where the cost averages only $1 per pack.
    Well this was the first hot ride of the year for me so most of the results can be thrown out.
    I would hope after building some more heat endurance that some of the energy boost may show up. I did notice the seamless absorption and really liked it. I could not even tell I consumed it afterwards. I defniteley noticed the lack of fatigue and soreness afterwards.
    I didnt know there were 2 types, let me clarify, this was for the Amino Vital fast charge 6 pack, $9.99 at drugstore.com.

--Jeremy, I always run salt and salt substitute in the camelback for EL's and am switching over to a homemade recovery drink made from soy protein, blackberries, and either brown rice syrup or maltodextrin/dextrose. As far as the steaks and turkeyburgers go, someone might pull back a stump taking those away.

spotlust
    [QUOTE=thebronze]
    I didnt know there were 2 types, let me clarify, this was for the Amino Vital fast charge 6 pack, $9.99 at drugstore.com.

Holy $%#@ - no wonder you almost puked - that's a lot of powder to stick in your mouth, especially when it's 90 degrees out, and you are probably bone dry already!! Yeah, those fast charge packs have about two servings in them, and I usually use half a pack in about 16 fl oz of water. It dilutes so easily (just shake for about 5 secs), and actually tastes OK like that. The other kind (coarser and more of a yellow color) comes in a much smaller pack; one serving has twice the amino acids of the "fast charge" pack; and although it does not taste good, it's not difficult to empty a pack into your mouth as long as you flush it straight down with a big gulp of water.