mutaullyassuredsuffering

Aliante Saddle w/ Carbon or Ti Rails?

I'm going to buy an Aliante, and i'd love to save some weight, but not at the expense of breaking a seat half-way through the ride.

Anyone have significant problems with Carbon Rails? I wonder if crashing, or repeated shock loading from terrain kills 'em compared to Ti?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would suggest using a Fizik Aliante with Titanium rails. Why?
    1. Slightly cheaper, 2. Can withstand riders over 185lbs.

Checkout www. fizik.it

mtbr member
    Having snapped Ti seat rails before- I'd say go Ti over carbon... Teh Carbon rails are more seigend for road in my opinion and probably wont withstand the shock loads from MTB riding. Having said that if your extremely light and ride a dualie, I dont see a problem with that.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

Howell, MI
    I have been riding carbon rails for 3 years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I broke one

When I bought my Allez Pro roadbike used, it came with an Aliante with carbon rails. I found the shape somewhat uncomfortable while riding in the drops, so I switched it over to my mountain bike.

I really enjoyed it on the mountain bike but unfortunately I bent one of the rails after about 5 months of use. It was during a race and I didn't notice it until after the finish. I weigh about 165 and used it on hardtail, if that helps. The shape worked well for me and I recommend it however you might want to stick with the ti rails for MTB.