Thread: Age 45

mtbr member

Age 45

In my local series we are debating age groups. While the 30-year-olds often seem to be the fastest of the bunch, guys in their early 40s don't seem to have much falloff in ability. Mid-40s seems to be where guys really start getting slower through no fault of their own.

So, if we were putting together a small series where only a couple of Cat 1 age groups could be supported, would it make best sense to create Under 45 and 45+ age groups?

If we just do under 40 and 40+, the guys over 50 will be blown away and may not want to participate.
    Last edited by chomxxo; 11-25-2012 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    I would agree with the 45 age line.

I did well at Nationals this past year, and I believe it was because I didn't have to race anyone below the age of 45. In the qualifiers, I got spanked by the 40-44 yr olds.

Also, just in general mtb racing it seems that 40-44 age group has the fastest non-pro race times. That performance falls off after 45. There's a few fast guys there, but very few.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I often think the same, when I am 45 (2.25 years out), the competition may not be as tough. Then I remember that the guys beating me today will also be in the 45+ class with me !
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    In Arizona they run Cat 1 Open 18-45 and then a Cat 1 45+.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I would make the line @ 49. From what I've seen, guys who were killing it in the 40-49, usually in the top 5 overall (all ages) begin to slow down a bit after 50.

banned
    We have many races here that have 45 and below. I tend to race SS in those or not race at all because it sucks lining up with Jeremiah Bishop and several other local pros that are on national teams. Will be racing in 43 next year.

Fat-tired Roadie
    In my area, the big falloff in times looks like around 45+ too. Sounds like a good place to put your line.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Depends on field size to a certain extent. If there are 3 guys who show up only, then put them together sorta thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Depends on field size to a certain extent. If there are 3 guys who show up only, then put them together sorta thing.

Hmm. Well I can tell you that's what I'd like to avoid. We want to make sure that there's more than 3 people racing in an age group.

Thanks for the responses so far, they seem to affirm a scientific reasoning to this. I know a few guys who race USAC Pro MTB in their early 40s. There are true pro cyclists like Jens Voigt in their early 40s but that's about as old as I've seen men racing at the highest level.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bummer, I never had a shot......48 yo and started riding 3 years ago....LOL
    But, more fun / more rewarding than I could have ever imagined

Giant Anthem
    I ride with a couple 50 year olds and I hope to be as strong as they are when I'm 50. And I hope, through good nutrition, recovery etc that I'm able to stay a very strong rider throughout my life, well into my 70's
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fst4u View Post
    I ride with a couple 50 year olds and I hope to be as strong as they are when I'm 50. And I hope, through good nutrition, recovery etc that I'm able to stay a very strong rider throughout my life, well into my 70's
    We have some insanely fast guys in S. California that are 50+. Very inspiring indeed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    45 is a good cut off age for classes, especially Cat 1. At age 48 it is very tough to be grouped in with a 40-49 group. Guys in early forties are just stronger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Great response

Great response.
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 12-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In my state we cut it off at 45 too. This has more to do with the size of the racing class. Last year at Cat 3 races that didn't cut off at 45 had 60+ racers at the line. Way too many.

Even at 45 cut off in the cat 2's, there are still 30+ riders at the line. Our winning times from the 40-44 and 45-49 are very close. We don't see much fall off in podium times till 50+

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In the northeast its 40-49 which typically ends up being the fastest age group (cat 1). Cat 2 40-49 is usually the largest of the day. The 50+ (Cat 1) guys are no slouches either some could podium 40-49 group.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's an ever changing line of demarcation, in an upwards direction. 10 years ago, guys in their mid-40's were not necessarily all that "fast" comparatively. 10 years later, the 35 year olds from 2003 that were fast are still riding hard, riding more(?), partying less, eating better, and getting a better night's sleep. They are likely even faster than they were in their 30's. They are more "serious" about training, riding and racing.

I personally think the downward slope in performance now starts closer to 48-50. That'll likely be 54-56 in a handful more years.