mtbr member
    Dec 2004

advice please regarding using CycleOps Fluid2 trainer with mountain bike

Hey everyone...recently picked up a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer. My highest gear on my mountain bike is 38x11. I'm an intermediate rider with not a lot of power. The problem is that it seems that I will be running out of gears in the near future.

38x11 is pretty difficult right now but no overly so pedaling in a medium cadence. But I think that I'll want to push a harder gear soon. I followed the directions through a couple times to make sure that I set the trainer and bike up correctly.

So what should I do here. I don't have a bike with higher gearing. Any one else experienced this before? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also is this the type of trainer where the resistance automatically increases the faster you pedal? If so, I probably just need to pedal faster

thx for any feedback, matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The resistance increases exponentially with speed. Here is the power curve (shown in red) for the Fluid2: http://www.cycleops.cz/files/trainers.pdf. Note the power requirements at 25 MPH is approximately 400 watts. You mention you are an intermediate rider, which, if that is the case, I would be very surprised if you can maintain 400 watts for very long. If you can, you are not an intermediate rider. Note the power requirements drop significantly as speed decreases. Only 150 watts is required at 15 MPH, which is a very light load. If you have a speed pickup attach it to the rear wheel so you can get a sense of what speed you are running.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mforness3000 View Post
    38x11 is pretty difficult right now but no overly so pedaling in a medium cadence.
    So, around 90rpm? That would be ~24MPH with your gearing and close to 400W as noted above, which is pretty hard work. Assuming 26x1.9" tire.

mtbr member

advice please regarding using CycleOps Fluid2 trainer with mountain bike

A turbo trainer with manual adjustment of resistance via a lever would be the best solution for use with a 2x10 mountain bike's restricted gearing.

If you enter the 38x11 gearing into the Sheldon Brown gear calculator with a 700x23c tyre (assuming your bike is a 29er MTB with a road tyre fitted) that gives a speed of 21.6mph at a cadence of 80rpm.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/index.html

If you look at 21.6 mph on the trainer curve chart that drifter248 linked that gives a power output of somewhere around 300 watts. That's probably hard enough for longer efforts but is going to feel a bit light for any sort of sprints or short duration high intensity work that you might want to do.

The two things to try with your existing setup would be to fit a larger slick rear tyre, if the turbo trainer can accommodate it, which would increase the gearing or alternatively you could fit a 44 tooth chainring to the mountain bike for the winter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    thanks very much everyone...I'm going to pickup a speed sensor...I think I'm pedaling at a lower cadence than I thought...

mtbr member
    You should be pedalling at a cadence that is natural to your body. Everybody has a different cadence that feels comfortable for them(For longer type sessions that is)

I have the exact same trainer as you, with saying that I run a 48T Chain ring,(on my 29er) I drop whatever gears I like to sprint etc, and crank away on anything else. don't even ask me what I cadence I like.....

The above is all my personal opinion and experience, If anyone knows more or better advice than I have offered, please ignore this 2cents and take theirs.....