Save Jesus

Activities for upper body de-flabbing?

Looking for some suggestions on fun activities (not exercises) that are generally upper body toning. I know a few of the standard upper body exercises (e.g. weightlifting moves, push ups, situps, etc) but they are so dull and boring that I can't really do them for more than a few days. One requirement is that it doesn't involve other people. This is so that I can do the activity whenever I feel like it and for however long I want. One other restriction is no swimming.

For example, one of the things I do is trail running / jogging / hiking. I know that it is not great for the knees, nor is a great upper body workout, but at least I can flail my arms around a little bit and go on trails that are illegal for bikes.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    rock climbing... either at a gym with self belay devices or you can boulder by yourself (bouldering is just climbing where you stay low and don't use a rope).

Dirty South Underdog
    Yardwork and singlespeeding.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Even though it is weights..... I enjoy p90x workouts. Especially the p90x plus workouts. Totalbody followed by core plus.... Enjoyable but killer workout.

mtbr member
    P90X and Insanity are awesome, VERY hard workouts but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Just watch what you eat and you'll lose some flab.

SSOD
    Get a kayak and find a pond. Pretty good upper body/ core workout. Or you can't go wrong with a rigid ss. I use a 30lb rigid to train on in the winter months

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    Keep in mind that if you're looking to "de-flab" rather than add strength, it's time to increase calorie output and/or decrease calorie intake. Core strength routines don't reduce belly fat -- there's no such thing as spot reduction.

I do a good bit of indoor and (less often due to time constraints) outdoor climbing. I'd agree with the notion that climbing is more interesting than weight training. The only downside for fitness is that it emphasizes pulling muscles and doesn't do much to train pushing muscles.

mtbr member
    Join a cross fit class. Expensive but very fun.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Heavy bag boxing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    Looking for some suggestions on fun activities (not exercises) that are generally upper body toning. I know a few of the standard upper body exercises (e.g. weightlifting moves, push ups, situps, etc) but they are so dull and boring that I can't really do them for more than a few days. One requirement is that it doesn't involve other people. This is so that I can do the activity whenever I feel like it and for however long I want. One other restriction is no swimming.

For example, one of the things I do is trail running / jogging / hiking. I know that it is not great for the knees, nor is a great upper body workout, but at least I can flail my arms around a little bit and go on trails that are illegal for bikes.

Do 500 cal more work per day than you eat.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Take your girl to the bedroom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    Take your girl to the bedroom.
    Good advice, even if his girlfriend is Handgelina Jolie

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag

Here's a novel idea - and you can do it all by yourself. Why not go out and do some trail work? Trim limbs, do some lopping, do some raking, do some clearing, move some felled trees, etc... . A couple times a week ought to do you and you give back to those trails you love to use. 2-3 hours has my upper body sore for a couple of days (and I lift weights).

There's no substitute of some good old fashioned manual labor. And it is and can be fun if you make it fun.

likes to ride bikes
    Yeah trail building, you weasels!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Here's a novel idea - and you can do it all by yourself. Why not go out and do some trail work? Trim limbs, do some lopping, do some raking, do some clearing, move some felled trees, etc... . A couple times a week ought to do you and you give back to those trails you love to use. 2-3 hours has my upper body sore for a couple of days (and I lift weights).

There's no substitute of some good old fashioned manual labor. And it is and can be fun if you make it fun.

mtbr member
    Swimming. My body fat plummented when I picked up swimming.

Members who have read this thread: 0