Thread: Aching thighs

It's the axle

Aching thighs

Yesterday I went out on what was to be a rest day ride. It ended up 33 miles with 3600 feet of climbing. At around 20 miles my thighs began aching (not climbing, but on the flats). Not the pain one gets from climbing. But a dull ache. It stopped immediately upon finishing the ride.

I stretch, but maybe there is a specific stretch I'm missing. Or is the solution to just ride more?
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need more recovery.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

It's the axle
    Whenever I ride over 20 miles they begin to have a dull ache.

I hope my post wasn't ridiculous. Why does it hurt when I hit myself with this hammer. Legs probably always ache when people ride longer distances.

mtbr member
    Are your normal rides over 20 miles?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    Yesterday I went out on what was to be a rest day ride. It ended up 33 miles with 3600 feet of climbing. At around 20 miles my thighs began aching (not climbing, but on the flats). Not the pain one gets from climbing. But a dull ache. It stopped immediately upon finishing the ride.

I stretch, but maybe there is a specific stretch I'm missing. Or is the solution to just ride more?
    Sounds like you messed up your recovery day.

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9
    Are your normal rides over 20 miles?
    Daily rides are 16-20 miles with 2200 feet climbing. I've always had this limit.

I stretch, but maybe there's some glute or other specific stretch.
    My guess is I need to push the distance of my rides up. I've never been a long rider. Even in my road bike days I stopped at the 35 mile rides.

Also, I get off the bike during winter.

It's not a big deal. I like short rides. But I live on the edge of trails that go on forever. It would be fun to explore. But that is curbed by this aching thing.

mtbr member
    My thought would be if you ride 20 or less, then going over 20 would fatigue you more than normal.

Although, going 33 (when you normally max at 20) on a rest day isn't the best.

Maybe it has something with you bike set-up that appears after a certain time, like seat position?

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9
    My thought would be if you ride 20 or less, then going over 20 would fatigue you more than normal.

Although, going 33 (when you normally max at 20) on a rest day isn't the best.

Maybe it has something with you bike set-up that appears after a certain time, like seat position?

Good point on the seat position. I like being forward. 120 mm stem (I know, it's like bell bottoms. The 70's are over. But I love it). I've been riding this position for a long time. It could be part of it. But I kind of doubt it.

Here's what I'm on-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aching thighs-_dsc3199.jpg  

mtbr member
    How are your knees with the pedals in the horizontal position? Above, in front or behind the pedal spindles?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    ITB Syndrome.....

It's the axle
    ITB is an interesting thought. I thought that was a sharper pain. I started using a foam roller a month ago. And it was quite painful over the quadriceps when I first started. But that diminished rather quickly. Is aching an ITB symptom?

I'll start working with the roller more, and see what happens on the longer rides.

Knee over pedal showed very close alignment, not that I totally subscribe to KOPS.

I'm pretty sure this is normal aching from just riding more than I'm used to. It seemed so trivial I almost didn't ask. I'm a bit surprised more people haven't spoken about similar aching.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    ITB Syndrome.....
    What he said.

I was reading your post and had this same though.

I battle it all the time.
    The roller is good but be carefull b/c it wiil/can aggro it.
    I google'd some stretches & I think they are more effective. Ice knocks mine out almost instantly. Follow it up w/ some NSAIDs right after.

It's the axle
    Much appreciated. I've got something to work towards now.

Members who have read this thread: 0