rad to the power of sick

The accuracy of a Cycleops Fluid2 Power Curve

So Ive done some proper power testing in the past to determine CP values and the correlating heart rates. This was all done at a lab.

I, however do not own a powertap, nor do I see myself being able to afford one anytime soon.

So Ive tried to be resourceful and use my Fluid2 trainer as a means to measure power output.

Variables aside (Tire deflection, slipping on roller, flex..etc), How accurate is the power curve?

Has anyone ever compared the power output being registered on your powertap vs the power curve of their trainer?

Obviously, if there is an accurate correlation, I can rest assured that im hitting the necessary training targets. Or conversely, if the power chart is inaccurate Ill know to ignore it.

Anyone have any feedback?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Off the top of my head I think I was around 290-300watts yesterday at around 37km/h which looks pretty similar to that curve. Im on a 2 year old Fluid2 using a Powertap Pro, 100psi in the rear tire.

Sorry if that isnt much help but it seems like things match up!

Sweep the leg!
    We have a fluid. The other day I was rolling at what felt like 20-ish which from PowerTap use is in the low 200 W range for me for the gearing I was in. So yeah, I think the curve is correct for the Fluid.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use a powetap and what I have found is that to be around 20 mph, I have to be over 300 watts... Will check it more this weekend and get back to you. I don't usually look at my speed.

rad to the power of sick
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by OJack
    I use a powetap and what I have found is that to be around 20 mph, I have to be over 300 watts... Will check it more this weekend and get back to you. I don't usually look at my speed.
    I would really really appreciate that. If you could give me accuracy points at 10mph, 15mph, 20mph, 25mph I would be eternally grateful,

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anybody know whether Powertap's acurately record power when using a less pricey Cycleops trainer?

I have a basic mag trainer from Cycleops and it appears I can't produce nearly as much power indoors on the trainer as I can outdoors. Is this in my head? Or is riding on a mag trainer different than being outdoors for some reason?