mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Accelerade vs. PowerBar Beverage system

I am going to try a sports drink, Does anyone have opinions on what is the better of the two for races and hard rides? I know there are some serious diff with the two but I am not sure what one is better.

Savvy?
    Accelerade is, IMO, some nasty sh*t. I've been using Powerbar Endurance since the summer, and I love it. It worked well during our hot, humid Florida summers.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Only dead people are old
    Hammer Gel products are better...IMO that is.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    You'd be best served trying some sample packs of a number of sport drinks as some sit well with some and not so well with others. I personally don't mind Accelerade but don't use it often as the funk it leaves in your bottle is a real pain to clean. Cytomax makes me ill and causes my stomach to cramp up but other guys I ride with swear by the stuff.

One I've found to work well that doesn't cause stomach issues and cleans up well is GU02. The flavor is fairly non offensive and I've had no bad reactions in the three containers I used at the end of this last race season. I did mix the Mango Tango flavor a bit stronger than recommended for a longer race where I wanted some extra calories and it wasn't good; it goes down much better at the recommended mixture.

mtbr member
    i <3 Gu2o and cytomax, but cytomax is expensive

Mythical Creature
    Protein vs. not protein

Simple, eh?

The powerbar stuff has worked great for me - extra salt and tastes good so far. Accelerade made me wanna puke, but works good for recovery...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Ridin' in XTC!
    If the Accelerade is mixed at less than suggested strength, it is more palatable. 75% has worked well for me.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    I have got to say, Lime Accelerade is the nectar of the gods for races and long rides.

Throughout this past season, I got so I craved it and it really picked me up in the middle of a race. The protein is where it is at, as they all have electrolytes. The Power bar recovery has about the same makeup and doesn't taste terrible (if you like tang), but I don't think it measures up to the Accelerade.

That said, the orange accelerade is not that good.

GU2O and cytomax turn my stomach. In fact, I could barely get down the GU2O.
    I agree with others that you should pick up a few of each and test on long, hard rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If Lemon Lime Accelerade is the nectar of the gods then man I'd hate to know what nectar of the underworld tastes like, or better yet what it feels like after its in your stomach.

For me accelerade makes me look for the nearest bathroom and wish I'd never been born. I really like being able to eat in the days following a race or ride so I steer far far away from accelerade.

Two thumbs up for the P-Bar endurance and cytomax is pretty good as well.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

I use...

I use both Power Bar Endurance and Hammer HEED. Both taste great, and are low in simple sugars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ems3564
    I am going to try a sports drink, Does anyone have opinions on what is the better of the two for races and hard rides? I know there are some serious diff with the two but I am not sure what one is better.
    i used to swear by the powerbar stuff. cheap and reasonably decent tasting pretty much sealed it for me. however i always got terrible digestive issues after long rides where i was using the stuff. I'd tried accelerade as well, but it was awfully thick and, more importantly, expensive. Since then i've started using hammer products and haven't looked back. cheaper, more effective (especially for long rides using sustained energy) and without the pain afterward.

i still use the power recovery stuff since its (comparatively) cheap and has the glycogen replenishers and protein and such and hasn't caused me any problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Accelerade

While some think this drink tastes nasty, I believe the protein is critical for long, endurance rides/events. Sure, it has an icky texture, but if you can (or want to) ride your bike for hours/days, what's a little icky drink compared to the exhaustion and pain you are putting your body through? Pain that, BTW, might be dimished by drinking the icky stuff.

mtbr member

Cytomax pre-ride....

...Powerbar Recovery post ride. I just assumed that recovery drinks had to be nasty (see Endurox) but the Powerbar stuff is actually tasty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

This past weekend

well at a race this past weekend i tried the accelerade. I am not sure if it was the lemmon lime taste or what but I was not a big fan. Someone told me the fruit flavor or something is better, but I am going to give the powerbar a go in two weeks see how that goes. One thing about the accelerade and I did dilute the recomended mix the sugar seemed to be over whelming to the point I had trouble breathing because of saliva.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its not the taste, its just that once it hits the stomach I have to find a bathroom. The taste was palatable in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ems3564
    The best one is the one that you like that taste of and doesn't upset your stomach. Because then you will actually drink it and it will do its job

Personally I like the taste of the power bar products. HEED is nice and light too. Experiment especially drinking them while warm because 2hrs into a ride it isn't going to be cold.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After a tough ride, beer makes all the pain go away.

MBAA!
    So essentially use whatever you feel tastes best. Thats what the consensus seems to say. I think there all high-quality, but taste is a factor that causes many to look the other way from some brands and go to others.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"