mtbr member

Accelerade Sports Drink

Has anyone tried accelerade sport drink? I'm thinking of getting some for the race season but was curious what others thought of it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've used it for yrs. and it works well for me.

Certain flavors tend to give me cramps and gas (Lemon-Lime) which I forgot when I ordered the mega-load container a few wks ago. Phogging waste of 30$ right there.

The orange type suits me better.

mtbr member
    I've been using it for a few weeks now on my longer training rides and it seems to be working well. I mix 1 scoop to 16-20oz of water rather than 1/12oz - that's too thick for me.

After years of whey protein shakes from competative weight lifting, I have a high tolerance for what's usually considered the bad taste of sport drinks. Therefore, I think it tastes fine. Many people are used to things like gatorade though, so be warned that the whey in accelerade will give a flavor that many hate.
    Last edited by fueledbymetal; 04-02-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

What It Be ?
    I think its kinda got a yogurty taste to it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I get better results just using Endurox (from the same company) during/after ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been using it for about half a year now. Works great for me. Energy is good with it. The gels were starting to be hard on the stomach, but the accelerade is fine for me. But with all things, it will come down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HUSKERS
    Has anyone tried accelerade sport drink? I'm thinking of getting some for the race season but was curious what others thought of it.
    I could not have finished the Pipestem Challenge race in West Va. last Sunday without it.

14 miles of up and down hills in the mud...with a 33 degree temperature at the start. My 220 lb a*s sunk in the mud and I almost gave up after the first lap.

I mix at their recommendations in a water bottle and chase it as needed with water from my camel back. I will not ride hard / race without it.

I use orange...hated it the first time but it grew on me and now I'm hooked.

The only other Clydesdale racer DNF'ed. I don't know what happened to him, he started off strong.

This is the only race where I've finished first and last

I had a great experience at the race. The promoter was cool, free food ( lasagna ) was tasty and the people / racers were very friendly. Anyone who has the chance to attend a WVMBA race should do it!

Jim H

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pipestem too far for me, but I should be at Mountwood. Last year it was a mud pit, but hopefully it will be a bit drier this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I use it and like it a lot. last year I used powerbar endurance, and accelerade works (and tastes) better for me. the 4:1 thing seems to make sense too...

mtbr member
    Can't stand it. Too thick and makes me thirsty. I switched to Hammer Heed, which I love, but you still need to add additional electrolytes to it. Gatorade Endurance seems to be all the rage now and it's worked VERY VERY good for me. I NEVER cared for Gatorade from my football career to moutain biking, thus I was skeptical of Endurance.

I suggest you sample things during your traning and find the one that helps you maximize your training results. Everybody is different, thus the reason there are 100000 sport drinks on the market.

mtbr member
    I like accelerade on long rides and after intense rides. It seems like I recover faster.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone I might give it a try. I've been also thinking about the hammer heed to. I have my first race this weekend so I might have to start trying it after that so I can get use to it. thanks again everyone.

Giant Anthem
    I've been using accelerade for 1 season now and have had 3 races with some major cramping. Now I've turned to a new fueling strategy from Hammer nutrition. The philosophy for race and workout fueling is to use a product with no simple sugars (sucrose, fructose etc). Check out this website and this handbook; if you really want a good fueling strategy reading this is a must. Randy from hammer nutrition helped me put together a fueling strategy for this season, awesome service. Good luck.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/downl...nghandbook.pdf

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=HOME

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    Can't stand it. Too thick and makes me thirsty. I switched to Hammer Heed, which I love, but you still need to add additional electrolytes to it. Gatorade Endurance seems to be all the rage now and it's worked VERY VERY good for me. I NEVER cared for Gatorade from my football career to moutain biking, thus I was skeptical of Endurance.

I suggest you sample things during your traning and find the one that helps you maximize your training results. Everybody is different, thus the reason there are 100000 sport drinks on the market.
    I use Hammer head too, but what kind of electrolytes do you add to it?

mtbr member
    I've been using Accelerade for 2 years, and I do feel it helps keep me pedaling, especially on long rides.

Personally, I think the orange flavor tastes metallic and I only finished the can I bought because it's too expensive to throw out. Fruit Punch is MUCH tastier.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I've used it and feel it works but hate the taste, also (lemon-lime). It makes me gassy too, maybe that's where my speed came from?
    Twinlab has a new 4:1 endurance drink I want to try but haven't read any reviews on it yet.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i couldn't stand it when i bought the mix years ago. never used it more than a couple times. i find cytomax goes down better.

i'd consider trying a couple of the new accelerade pre-mixed bottles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you can get it, I'd recommend trying Dedicated Athlete's Rapidade and Rapid Recharge. Sooooooo good.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I thought it worked good but tasted bad so I switched to Cytomax.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I use Hammer head too, but what kind of electrolytes do you add to it?
    Sorry, I was on a snowboard trip. I use their electrolyte powder and endurolytes when I use Heed.