Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46

    Absalon going to marathon worlds

    http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...n-worlds_16946

    Can he pull off the marathon and XC double?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    I think that this is great news. I do think Julien could pull it off, but not by doing his XC style stand-and-hammer-all-the-climbs approach! I love being a fan of pro XC racing, but I am very much behind the rising popularity of longer endurance MTB races. To quote Jeremiah Bishop from his recent MTBracenews interview, "Laps are good for spectating but scary big bike rides stoke your sense of awe for the natural World." I have not seen much coverage of European marathon races, but the little I have seen would not qualify them as "backcountry epic". Still, I love the thought of the best mountain bike racers in the world trying to expand their portfolios.

    I'm not saying Christoph Sauser's career achievements are on par with Absalon's, but his 2008 season had him pulling off the double. He won XCO in Val di Sole and crossed the finish line first in XC marathon Villabassa only to be relegated to 2nd because of irregular sprinting (which was a bad call in my opinion). The person given the win, Roel Paulissen, got busted for doping a couple years later.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob_co2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    564
    He's probably getting bored of those 3mi mtn crits.

    Although I am under the impression that enduros in europe are often multiple laps or a 10-20 mile course?

  4. #4
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    He will obliterate it.

    The depth of the marathon field is no where near that of the XC field.

    At Absalon's level, his body is so efficient and optimized for high performance, that he'll have a marked advantage, even at the 100km mark.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46
    Course info here: http://www.veneto2011.it/

    It is not a multi-lap format...just one long loop.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    318
    Be interesting to see how Jeremiah stacks up against him.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    He's probably getting bored of those 3mi mtn crits.

    Although I am under the impression that enduros in europe are often multiple laps or a 10-20 mile course?
    The UCI requires marathon courses to be single loop or point to point. It is the US that does multiple short lap "marathon" events.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    He will obliterate it.

    The depth of the marathon field is no where near that of the XC field.

    At Absalon's level, his body is so efficient and optimized for high performance, that he'll have a marked advantage, even at the 100km mark.
    I don't think it's going to be that easy.
    There are bunch of very successful and highly specialized marathon/enduro
    pro racers in Europe (Stefan Sahm, Karl Platt, or Alban Lakata - defending champ, just to name a few).
    You can hardly ever see any of this guys in the normal XC race, but they are acing it in anything
    longer than 50 km.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,247
    I don't think it'll be that easy for Absalon either. But I kind of like him a little bit more for trying. Being competitive at both events sounds extremely difficult; being a champion at both, can't fathom it.

    (Warning, swimming reference) It seems similar to a swimmer competing at the olympics in both the 200 free and the 1500. It just doesn't happen.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46
    I don't doubt his fitness to keep up with anybody. He seems to be a great tactician in the short XC events, but I don't know his history with longer races. Anyone know of any "long" events that he has competed in and how he did?

  11. #11
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Just have one of the Grand Tour riders get bored and show up to race Absalon, then we'll see whether Julien's optimization is not unlike that of a Next Power Climber by comparison


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails View Post
    Just have one of the Grand Tour riders get bored and show up to race Absalon, then we'll see whether Julien's optimization is not unlike that of a Next Power Climber by comparison
    Grand Tour riders only do well at roadish marathons like Leadville 100! ;-) See how Roberto Heras and Gilberto Simoni (Grand Tour winners) get worked over when they enter more difficult marathons?!

    I've thought about it more and I think Blue Eyes is right, Absalon will face competition that specialize in this sort of thing and that are very much the top pros in the world at it. Top XC guys have been racing marathon worlds for a while and they don't dominate but they are main protagonists. Sauser, Stander, Naef, and Hermida all raced 2010 marathon worlds and filled out the lower steps of the podium. But I have no idea of Absalon's longer distance ability.

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I don't think it'll be that easy for Absalon either. But I kind of like him a little bit more for trying. Being competitive at both events sounds extremely difficult; being a champion at both, can't fathom it.

    (Warning, swimming reference) It seems similar to a swimmer competing at the olympics in both the 200 free and the 1500. It just doesn't happen.
    This is the '08 results, but the top 5 or so (men and women) were regular WC XC top finishers.
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/mtb.p...rathonworlds08
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,196
    I wouldn't underestimate Absalon by any means. If he's going for Worlds Marathons (including skipping the North American XCO's) then this has been on his radar far longer than the story in the news. I've no doubt he's made the preparation and done the sufficient training and planning to be on the podium at the Marathon Worlds. He's one of the fastest & smartest racers out there and his racing talents will easily transfer over to the marathon.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    This is the '08 results, but the top 5 or so (men and women) were regular WC XC top finishers.
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/mtb.p...rathonworlds08
    same with 2010.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci...rathon/results
    1 Alban Lakata (Austria) 3:49:55
    2 Mirko Celestino (Italy) 0:00:05
    3 Burry Stander (South Africa) 0:00:06
    4 Ralph Naef (Switzerland) 0:00:06
    5 Christoph Sauser (Switzerland) 0:00:07
    6 José Antonio Hermida Ramos (Spain) 0:00:09
    7 Karl Platt (Germany) 0:00:25
    8 Sergio Mantecon Gutierrez (Spain) 0:00:28
    9 Thomas Dietsch (France) 0:00:32
    10 Urs Huber (Switzerland) 0:00:59

    1 Esther Süss (Switzerland) 4:33:47
    2 Sabine Spitz (Germany) 0:01:57
    3 Annika Langvad (Denmark) 0:02:54
    4 Elisabeth Brandau (Germany) 0:07:51
    5 Birgit Söllner (Germany) 0:07:54
    6 Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjaa (Norway) 0:08:12
    7 Kristine Noergaard (Denmark) 0:08:59
    8 Sally Bigham (Great Britain) 0:09:56
    9 Erika Dicht (Switzerland) 0:11:34
    10 Anna Villar Argente (Spain) 0:11:34

  16. #16
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,235
    If you look at the results from Marathon worlds you see that the courses tend to be not as selective as an XC course (smaller gaps, bigger groups).

    It often comes down to who can go really hard in the last 20 minutes (much like road racing). Absalon has won a lot of XC races by attacking on the last lap, however being able to attack after 1.5hrs @ Max is different then 3.5hrs @85%.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The UCI requires marathon courses to be single loop or point to point. It is the US that does multiple short lap "marathon" events.
    Europe does shorter loops as well. The UCI requires that the distance be no less than 60k, no more than 120k, and for Continental and Worlds a minimum of 80k. It can be up to 3 loops but no more.

    From my experience, the marathons in Europe compared to the US tend to be opposite what you said. Most here in Europe that I have done or seen are multiple shorter loops.

    You can check out the rules at the top of page 9 here.

    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/ge...34424&LangId=1

  18. #18
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    Europe does shorter loops as well. The UCI requires that the distance be no less than 60k, no more than 120k, and for Continental and Worlds a minimum of 80k. It can be up to 3 loops but no more.

    From my experience, the marathons in Europe compared to the US tend to be opposite what you said. Most here in Europe that I have done or seen are multiple shorter loops.

    You can check out the rules at the top of page 9 here.

    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/ge...34424&LangId=1
    The 3-lap regulation is a change from the first season or two.

    There have been US marathon championships held on courses requiring 5-15 laps IIRC.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Grand Tour riders only do well at roadish marathons like Leadville 100! ;-) See how Roberto Heras and Gilberto Simoni (Grand Tour winners) get worked over when they enter more difficult marathons?!

    I've thought about it more and I think Blue Eyes is right, Absalon will face competition that specialize in this sort of thing and that are very much the top pros in the world at it. Top XC guys have been racing marathon worlds for a while and they don't dominate but they are main protagonists. Sauser, Stander, Naef, and Hermida all raced 2010 marathon worlds and filled out the lower steps of the podium. But I have no idea of Absalon's longer distance ability.
    Well if Cadel Evans, Francisco Mancebo, or Michael Rassmusen showed up there would be some looks of terror in the other racers.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post

    (Warning, swimming reference) It seems similar to a swimmer competing at the olympics in both the 200 free and the 1500. It just doesn't happen.
    just to keep the threadjack alive, read up on Grant hackett, he didn't pull it off at the olympics, but has done it at the world championships.

  21. #21
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Just to stir the pot a little more, I've heard that while UCI XC races have more than a little bit of the "crazy," marathons in Europe are quite tame and Leadville-like, compared to most American endurance races, especially the NUE courses. Plus we measure things according to some king's foot and do 100 miles instead of 100k.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413

    Yeah right

    Quote Originally Posted by chiva View Post
    Well if Cadel Evans, Francisco Mancebo, or Michael Rassmusen showed up there would be some looks of terror in the other racers.
    Maybe the packfill would be worried about finishing a place or two lower, but Lakata, Absalon, Hermida, Sauser, etc. won't be afraid of the roadies. Yes, I know that Evans and Rasmussen have strong mountain bike pedigree (in XC) and that Mancebo has won some marathon MTB races in Spain. But at WC? Unless they devoted some specific training on mastering mountain biking again, they would get beat by the dedicated marathon mountain bikers.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    If you look at the results from Marathon worlds you see that the courses tend to be not as selective as an XC course (smaller gaps, bigger groups).

    It often comes down to who can go really hard in the last 20 minutes (much like road racing). Absalon has won a lot of XC races by attacking on the last lap, however being able to attack after 1.5hrs @ Max is different then 3.5hrs @85%.
    I was thinking the same. The guy can be a beast when it comes down to a maximum effort attack at XC distance, but will he have the same effect after many hours of riding.

    Also, the course appears to have a lot of open road (dirt and paved). I don't think this suits his strengths, especially after watching Kulhavy pull away on the relative open course at Dalby.

    Perhaps he should run the Orbea Alma 29er at this course

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by CMi_rider View Post
    ...Perhaps he should run the Orbea Alma 29er at this course
    I would say that based on the bike selection we saw for the top teams at Cape Epic this year, we will see a lot of 29ers in the marathon!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46
    Kulhavy is also racing worlds, but he is a bit busted up from an accident with a truck.
    http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...injuries_17534

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46
    No chance at the double for Absalon. Sauser on the top step. Kulhavy had a good day. Times are spread out by a couple minutes http://www.marathonmtb.com/26/06/201...championships/

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by CMi_rider View Post
    No chance at the double for Absalon. Sauser on the top step. Kulhavy had a good day. Times are spread out by a couple minutes http://www.marathonmtb.com/26/06/201...championships/
    I wonder what happened to him? Seems like he was part of the big move at the end but then DNF'd. He tends to leave absolutely everything out there, I wonder if he just bonked out?
    Congrats to Susi!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    I wonder what happened to him? Seems like he was part of the big move at the end but then DNF'd. He tends to leave absolutely everything out there, I wonder if he just bonked out?
    Congrats to Susi!
    Well, fun really started at 50 km - there were still about 30 of them in the front.
    When they came at 82 km mark, only Sauser, Kulhavy and Absalon were in the lead group. They came
    to that point full 18 minutes ahead ETA . That must've been helluva 30 kilometers !
    Jeremiah Bishop was still in the top 10 at that point (I think he was 18th or 19th in the end).

    At 84 km, Absalon was 30 sec behind Sauser and Kulhavy, with Celestino and Tim Bohme coming from behind.
    10 km later Absalon dropped to 5th with 4 min behind and pulled-out shortly after (either mechanical or nothing left in the tank).

    Meanwhile, at 90 km, Sauser made a monster attack and got a 30 sec, than minute on Kulhavy in no time.
    Kulhavy tried to answer, but just couldn't do it.
    Celestino and Bohme fought for 3rd side by side right until the last couple of km when Celestino managed to pull away.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...n-worlds_17791
    Julien's post marathon worlds interviews. Sounds like he's not all that excited about this discipline!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    68
    Does anyone else here find it incredibly lame that he just pulled out because his legs started to hurt and he fell off the leaders. Heck if we all did that hardly anyone would finish a race.

  31. #31
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    I know a couple of guys holding USAC pro licenses that have done that more than once in Cat 1 races.

    Quote Originally Posted by MqtMtnBkr View Post
    Does anyone else here find it incredibly lame that he just pulled out because his legs started to hurt and he fell off the leaders. Heck if we all did that hardly anyone would finish a race.

  32. #32
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtMtnBkr View Post
    Does anyone else here find it incredibly lame that he just pulled out because his legs started to hurt and he fell off the leaders. Heck if we all did that hardly anyone would finish a race.
    Not an uncommon practice with pro racers to save themselves for future races. No value in damaging your body for a meaningless placing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Absalon should have eaten a couple of extra pieces of bread with nutella for his pre race meal. That could have made a difference in the final 10 km

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by 2UTH DR View Post
    Absalon should have eaten a couple of extra pieces of bread with nutella for his pre race meal. That could have made a difference in the final 10 km
    I was thinking the same thing! Or that he should of had some stashed in his jersey pocket to refuel at the 80 km mark!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    245
    So What!! So he pulled out,
    i wouldn't question his toughness for one minute, there is always another race, he did what he wanted he has nothing to prove. How many times have you seen a grand tour rider pull out, who cares..

Similar Threads

  1. absalon in front whit 21 sek lap 2 OL
    By sealen in forum Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 02:59 AM
  2. Gracia Chausson Absalon Saladini
    By Arbuz in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 12:10 AM
  3. Any 29"ers at Worlds Marathon?
    By mvi in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 01:03 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •