mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Idea! 96er, Pros outweigh the cons?

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I've been wondering if the pros of riding a 96er (or 69er) outweigh the cons? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I put together a Gunnar 69er and loved it. Rolls over stuff and quick to get up to speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What's you're main bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was hopefully for the idea. After a test ride it seemed to have the down sides of both. Tall front end with slower steering and the rear end would get hung up on rock and roots. I was not a big fan

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

96er, Pros outweigh the cons?

How about 9650b, err, or is it a 927.5'er...what the hell would you call that?

I'm going to start a new bike company and call it 9275'er Bikes ;-)

mtbr member
    Put the smaller wheel on the front, that way, you're going downhill all the time.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a Moots Gristle, their 96er, and love it. The big wheel rolls over everything like a 29er should, the smaller rear wheel keeps the wheelbase, and chainstays short, so it handles quicker than a full 29er, and climbs switchbacks easy. My friend do poke fun at the two different wheel, and there is always the question of what size tube to carry, I carry one 26 tube. But it's hands down the fastest bike I've ridden, and I've got my best results to date on this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Put the smaller wheel on the front, that way, you're going downhill all the time.

I've said often that I think a 9erB could be fantastic for our trails. But I'm scared to try it, b/c the 650B bike that I convert might have a chopper-flopper feel afterwards. It's an expensive gamble.

I've been riding a B26er Anthem X for a while now, and it is pure funjoy to ride.... but I do wish I had a bit more roll over, momentum like the others on their 29ers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post

I've said often that I think a 9erB could be fantastic for our trails. But I'm scared to try it, b/c the 650B bike that I convert might have a chopper-flopper feel afterwards. It's an expensive gamble.
    This is my bike.

I started with a rigid front to keep the geometry similar to stock. Now, i've reduced my 29er Reba travel to 60mm and it has slacked out a bit. i will get wheel flop (very slightly) at a slow pace or stand still. As long as i'm steering though, it takes no perceivable additional effort to keep it straight. Matter of fact, when i'm really fatigued and climbing, my steeper head angle bike would be wandering across the trail more than my 9Ber.

Going downhill, the 29er wheel and 60mm travel feels like my 26" XC bike with a 100mm travel. Actually, better since the geometry changes less when using full travel. And the 29er really rolls through and over stuff that would require dampening on a 26" wheel. I think a 80-100mm travel Lefty fork would be awesome for this as well. They have lower axle to crown measurements and would keep the front end down more.