Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478

    8-hour solo race essentials

    Doing my first real race this Saturday, Boggs 8 hour.

    I am doing the 8-hour solo SS comprised of as many 9.2 miles loops as you can muster. Elevation is 1200' of climbing per lap, between elevation of 2800' and 3600'.

    Not looking to podium, just have fun but had some questions.

    Clothes. Last year it was cold, had a very wet March and people needed the warmth. Regular bike shorts, arm and leg warmers, jacket, vest and wool socks. What do you usually wear on a long race with cold to possible wet weather?

    Obviously the race is supported in many ways. Thinking just look at this as a long epic. Camelbak with 100 oz. of water, two water bottles with sports mix, and a lot of energy snacks in the pack. Or go about it another way?

    One tube or two tubes (with patch kit)?

    Live and ride at sea level, with no elevation gains on rides over 2,000'. How can I factor in riding above that for the duration of the race? Breathing, not starting out to fast, walking when I need to, drinking lots?

    Running a 32 x 20 on my 29er. I can ride all day on this combo and walk only really steep sections. Bring a smaller rear cog and swap out for a larger cog when I start getting tired?

  2. #2
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,938

    You'll do fine.

    Baycat,
    Take a change of shorts too, for sometime after the middle of the race. Extra salt and potassium in your food. Go with a slightly easier gear ratio, fatigue wise, it'll be too late if you change your gear ratio once you start getting tired. I'll see you up there. You'll do great!

  3. #3
    853+29+1x24=Fun
    Reputation: kev0153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,020
    Whatever you go with for food make sure you've know how you are going to react to it and how they work in combination during extended efforts. You might be surprised how you react to stuff. I made the mistake of eating a PB&J sandwich at the 6 hour mark of my first 12 hour race and it made me sick. I like using Hammer Products during endurance events. I've had good luck with their gels and Perpetuem drink. Endurolytes are good too.

  4. #4
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478
    JMS, thanks see you out there. You are solo SS?

    Kev

    Good point, I usually stick to the same stuff on all my rides. I too am a fan of Hammer gel, and I always have a problem eating cliff bars on long rides. Also will make sure to get some food in my system the day before.

    Any tips on riding the bike the week before in preperation?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Doing my first real race this Saturday, Boggs 8 hour.

    I am doing the 8-hour solo SS comprised of as many 9.2 miles loops as you can muster. Elevation is 1200' of climbing per lap, between elevation of 2800' and 3600'.

    Not looking to podium, just have fun but had some questions.

    Clothes. Last year it was cold, had a very wet March and people needed the warmth. Regular bike shorts, arm and leg warmers, jacket, vest and wool socks. What do you usually wear on a long race with cold to possible wet weather?

    Obviously the race is supported in many ways. Thinking just look at this as a long epic. Camelbak with 100 oz. of water, two water bottles with sports mix, and a lot of energy snacks in the pack. Or go about it another way?

    One tube or two tubes (with patch kit)?

    Live and ride at sea level, with no elevation gains on rides over 2,000'. How can I factor in riding above that for the duration of the race? Breathing, not starting out to fast, walking when I need to, drinking lots?

    Running a 32 x 20 on my 29er. I can ride all day on this combo and walk only really steep sections. Bring a smaller rear cog and swap out for a larger cog when I start getting tired?
    As far as clothing; and you are doing multiple laps. If you have room for it bring everything you can. Leg warmers, arm warmers, knee warmers, long-short sleeve jerseys, base layers, xtra shorts, tights, xtra socks, etc. As you'll be doing multiple laps you can peel or add layers as needed when you pit.

    Personally I wear arm and knee warmers with a vest and a base layer. If it's wet and raining I may forego the knee warmers in favor of a warming rub

    For water, use whichever you generally train with. With laps you wont have to carry the extra bottles as you can grab them each time by your pit.

    I recommend 1 tube carried and several spares in the pit, along with spare co2. that way if you flat, when you come around you replenish everything.

    The elevation isn't really high enough to be a factor, so no worries there.

    Can't give advice on the single speed... .

    Be sure to eat/drink something at a minimum every 20 minutes or so. I'd recommend something mixed in the fluids as it gets tough to eat that often and take in enough calories otherwise.

    Good luck

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,220
    All the hay should be in the barn the week before... Cut back on your riding time, focus on resting and proper nutrition. A short quick interval session to "open" the legs during the week and the day before is general recommendation

  7. #7
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478
    Wow! Great advice, will make sure and make note on a lot of this.

    I am unsure if there is a "pit" area for the race. Just realized I had no 29er tubes on me, would hate to be in that predicament on the trail.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeffh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Wow! Great advice, will make sure and make note on a lot of this.

    I am unsure if there is a "pit" area for the race. Just realized I had no 29er tubes on me, would hate to be in that predicament on the trail.


    Double check this with rensho, but I think you can run a 26 inch tube in the 29er with no problems. Also in the future look into Stans No tubes conversion for the wheels (less flats) , But I don't think I would convert to Stans a week before the race, just in the future.

    BTW: I think rensho is going to race Boggs also.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh

    Double check this with rensho, but I think you can run a 26 inch tube in the 29er with no problems. Also in the future look into Stans No tubes conversion for the wheels (less flats) , But I don't think I would convert to Stans a week before the race, just in the future.

    BTW: I think rensho is going to race Boggs also.

    You are right, you can use a 26 inch tube. It is however not the best option as the rubber will be stretched thin and more prone to flats.

    MUCH better than walking though

  10. #10
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478
    I think I remember hearing the same thing. But to be safe I have two 29er tubes in hand for the race.

  11. #11
    Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Reputation: Plim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Doing my first real race this Saturday, Boggs 8 hour.

    I am doing the 8-hour solo SS comprised of as many 9.2 miles loops as you can muster. Elevation is 1200' of climbing per lap, between elevation of 2800' and 3600'.

    Not looking to podium, just have fun but had some questions.

    Clothes. Last year it was cold, had a very wet March and people needed the warmth. Regular bike shorts, arm and leg warmers, jacket, vest and wool socks. What do you usually wear on a long race with cold to possible wet weather?

    Obviously the race is supported in many ways. Thinking just look at this as a long epic. Camelbak with 100 oz. of water, two water bottles with sports mix, and a lot of energy snacks in the pack. Or go about it another way?

    One tube or two tubes (with patch kit)?

    Live and ride at sea level, with no elevation gains on rides over 2,000'. How can I factor in riding above that for the duration of the race? Breathing, not starting out to fast, walking when I need to, drinking lots?

    Running a 32 x 20 on my 29er. I can ride all day on this combo and walk only really steep sections. Bring a smaller rear cog and swap out for a larger cog when I start getting tired?
    Hi Ryan!

    Because you'll be near your car every lap, you don't have to worry about much. Speedy people who want to win might have a different strategy, but I'm not too concerned about spending a few minutes stopped at the car every lap or two.

    Clothes: Bring plenty of clothes in the car. Start out wearing what's right for the temperature then adjust (add, subtract, change) between laps as is appropriate.

    Water, etc.: I carry less than 100oz of water and refill as appropriate. Same with food - I bring enough for a lap or two and get more when needed.

    Tubes: I've got one plus small patch kit. That should allow me to fix at least a couple flats. I've never yet gotten a flat at Boggs, so I'm not too concerned (of course, now I've jinxed myself).

    Tiredness: I figure I've got plenty of time to get tired, so I just go slow. I start slow, taper in the middle, then finish at a crawl. Eight hours is a long time to ride. Do remember to eat and drink. I tend to forget to eat enough on long rides, but the lap format is a good reminder. At the end of a lap, you can check to see if you've eaten what you should.

    Cog size: Can't help with the SS gearing question (I've only ridden one gear set and it's the one that came on my SS - don't know what it is), but there's no harm in bringing a different gear if you fear you may tire. I consider the course pretty gentle.

    Seeya Saturday!
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

  12. #12
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,126
    Ryan, 26" tubes work well in the 29er, but i wouldn't use them as a race spare. They are harder to stuff into a tire when the heat is on.

    I'm trying to get off my lazy butt and go up to cheer you guys on, as you pass me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.