mtbr member
    Jan 2013

7 Weeks To Train For A 12h Race

I've started getting some training in for a 12h solo race later this year (August) but I've decided to enter another local 12h solo in 7 weeks time.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of one longer off-road ride a week, probably 40+ miles, then do some interval sessions during the rest of the week and look to extend my daily commute to get some miles in my legs.

What do you guys reckon would be the best training to be doing to get the most out of the 7 weeks I've got?

Happy Trails

7 Weeks To Train For A 12h Race

Me? I'd start at about long ride 4hours on week 1 and build weekly like this

Then two 1-hour hard hour spins and one 2-4 hour ride during the week.

I'd take the race easy , as a training race. I might even go 10 hours of laps in the race depending on how I feel.

Endurance Guru Hal Higdon says better slightly under trained and rested than ready and exhausted.

There will be several opinions, but that's what id do. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks.
    I'm going to be using the race as a bit of a practice run for the 12h later in the year so I'll be taking it reasonably easy, at the same time I don't want to be turning up and just brining up the rear of the field so it's going to be a bit of a balancing act.

One bonus is that I've got the week after the race off work due to my shifts so plenty of recovery time

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree with Scott in MD on 'long ride' build and deload cycle (4,5,6,3,7,8,2)

For your intervals, are there any big climbs you would need to train for? (steep, long)

Other wise I would go long steady approach on intervals
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

Do you have power or heart rate monitor?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    I agree with Scott in MD on 'long ride' build and deload cycle (4,5,6,3,7,8,2)

For your intervals, are there any big climbs you would need to train for? (steep, long)

Other wise I would go long steady approach on intervals
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

Do you have power or heart rate monitor?
    I'm not sure on the course yet but knowing the area there's no huge climbs, mainly just short steep ones.
    I'm trying to find somewhere local to me where I can do intervals on similar short climbs which will be similar to the ones in the race.

I don't use power but have a heart rate monitor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Graeme

I sure you know - but on those longer training rides, be aware of HR you can maintain, and respect that during race, especially @ start.

I am could not find article, but it basically was a study with long distance type events and at the start
    - 1st group started race 15bpm (?)lower than there regular pace for 15m (?), after 15m, went to regular race pace
    - 2nd group started a desired race pace

Group one ended up being considerably faster overall. I guess point being, pace yourself and not get overtly excited at start.

As far as intervals, did you have anything in mind? How much time did you have during week?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That sounds like an interesting article, I'll have to have a look about for it today.

The only 12h I've done in the past I went into with no specific training at all, the most time I'd done in the saddle up until then was about 4h! I read something about sticking to a specific HR for the race but either calculated it incorrectly or misread the article and ended up trying to keep a far lower HR than I should've which just made me exceptionally slow and frustrated

Due to my shift work, I'll be able to fit in either 1,2 or 3 sessions a week which can no doubt help longer term with planning high and low load weeks. For the next 7 weeks I'm not so sure.

For intervals I'm thinking along the lines of either adding some short hill rep's into my daily commute once or twice a week then using my regular off-road rides and just pushing it harder on the hills while trying to keep a fairly constant effort then using the singletrack sections for recovery between the intervals (hills).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    That sounds like an interesting article, I'll have to have a look about for it today.

I read something about sticking to a specific HR for the race but either calculated it incorrectly or misread the article and ended up trying to keep a far lower HR than I should've which just made me exceptionally slow and frustrated
    Found it! But I sure chopped up the description of it though.

20k TT (12.5miles) Basically "holding back 15% steady state power for first 4 minutes vs. going out 15% greater then steady state power - On average, the fastest times came from the -15% trial. "

Joe Friel's Blog: TT Pacing Research

Regarding HR that is probably along the same lines as when you do a LTHR test on your own - what you do on your own vs in race situation - race situation you will get better #'s. I do not know if this will help you.
    "Doing this as a part of a race or with training partners will change the outcome. Your number will be too high. If you want to do it with others or as a part of a race then you need to make it 60 minutes duration instead of 30."
    Joe Friel - Determining your LTHR

there may be something on Joe Friel

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've just been wondering today, due to some changes in my shifts at work I may struggle to get a couple of the longer rides in.
    Would it be as good to do something like a 3h ride in the morning and a 3h ride in the afternoon around work rather than a single 6h ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    I've just been wondering today, due to some changes in my shifts at work I may struggle to get a couple of the longer rides in.
    Would it be as good to do something like a 3h ride in the morning and a 3h ride in the afternoon around work rather than a single 6h ride?
    I would say yes, if that is what your schedule allows. Others will be in the same situation.

How is your training going otherwise?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    I would say yes, if that is what your schedule allows. Others will be in the same situation.

How is your training going otherwise?
    I thought that might be the case.

So far the training's going well. I've been away on holiday for the first week and a half of the seven I have but still managed to get a coupe of road and MTB sessions in.
    I've had a couple of good rides of 4-5h which have went well.

The latest info I have is that the course for the race is reasonably flat with very little elevation change through the lap.
    The area where I try to do my training and longer rides is pretty hilly (for the south of England!) so not really similar to the course but I figure that if I'm doing ok on 5h rides with more climbing than I'll do in the entire 12h race I should do ok.

I've got a week off work coming up in a fortnight so I'll probably try and get plenty if miles in that week and see how things go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Graeme.
    Is it the 12hrs of Exposure you're training for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by grawp View Post
    Hey Graeme.
    Is it the 12hrs of Exposure you're training for?
    That's the one

Are you doing it as well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah I am. Tried last year and pulled out after 5 hrs due to riding far to fast at the beginning.
    This year I'm starting at the back and riding super slow. Did a training ride of 9hrs last autumn and used the first 4hrs to come up to speed which worked much better. Try to ignore the other riders, they are stupidly fast and if you aim to keep up you will get broken. Ride your own race and enjoy it would be my advice, that's certainly what I aim to do.
    Training wise I'm doing xc races every other weekend. Hardly optimal but hey I like xc! I've done quite a few 4-6hr rides over the winter though so know what my endurance pace feels like.
    Will prob do the Gorrick 100 the week before as a warm up, but try to finish feeling fresh, actually knowing me I'll end up smashing it and feeling wasted the following week.
    Nice thing I took from last year was that most of the competitors were way better than me which was disappointing at the time but removes the pressure from this one.
    It's the best race to do though as there's a real buzz but best of all there are fewer riders on the course meaning less likelihood of a mudfest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice one.
    I'm only doing this as a bit of a practice to see how I'm going before I race the Torq 12:12 later in the year.
    I rode the Torq last year and pretty much plodded about as I'd not actually done any training for it, my longest ride up until then was only about 4h!

I've only done one local XC race this year, I'm not really a fan of the shorter races. I was thinking about riding the Gorrick 100 as well before the Exposure but I'd need to take time off work which I can't really do at the moment.

Hopefully the weather will sort itself out before the Exposure otherwise it's going to be a pretty grim, muddy affair!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not going to enter till the week before. Wasing gets bad in the mud apparently so may bin it at the last moment, Gorrick 100 will be on better drained soil.
    Just been out for a pleasant 2 hr pootle and very nice it was too. I'm sure lots of sessions like this really help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've already got the entry in so I'll be there whatever the weather!
    Depending on the state of the course, I've got a rigid SS 29er which should be perfect for the course if it's muddy. I just need to pick up a new rear mud tyre before then.