mtbr member

6 Hour mtn bike race - FS or Hardtail?

I have a 6 hour race next month. This will be my introduction to endurance mtn biking.

Loops will be over 5 miles with some steep climbing.

Which one for this race:

Seven Sola (hardtail) with 80mm FOX fork

or

Titus Motolite with Reba

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 1flipSSter
    I have a 6 hour race next month. This will be my introduction to endurance mtn biking.

Which one for this race:

or

Titus Motolite with Reba

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Is this the Switchback Cyclery 6hr or OC?

If it is.....run the hardtail. Nothing on the course is technical enough to require a FS bike. There will be 2 prerides before the event. Come out and ride each bike on one day and see what you like better.

Last year I did it on a 30 lb. Heckler.....this year, will be on a 26 lb. Chameleon.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    [QUOTE=1flipSSter]I have a 6 hour race next month. This will be my introduction to endurance mtn biking.

Which one for this race:

or

Titus Motolite with Reba

Advice is appreciated.

Thank

Solo or team event?

If its a solo I think the motolite set up with all your lite weight parts off the Sola may be the way to go . If it's not to rouigh of a course try the sola with the reba that the ticket!

dot
    mtbr member

Which one for this race:

or

Titus Motolite with Reba

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Biased opinion from a Ti HT owner and former FS owner: go with Sola, Ti HT is an exquisite choice! FS is practical but no fun.

mtbr member

Warrior Society 6 hr / Switchback

Yeah, it is the Switchback 6 hr. out at the Flying B.

I'll be doing this Solo. I heard that there will be at least 1 practice day. 2 would be even better!

Really appreciate all the advice so far!

Since I am such a newb can you guys give me some advice on how do you race a 6 hour from a tactical perspective?

I am actually doing this race in the middle of my cross season, which means I will be use to giving everything I got in 40min. (probably a bad idea to try that for this race).

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Pacing is key for solo events for me. I have to really fight the urge to go full out at the start. Don't get discourged when you get passed by the team riders, this was hard for me to overcome. You'll probably make mistakes since this is your first race. 6 Hours is a good place to start. My first race was a 12 hour and I really screwed it up by not eating right and going out too fast.

Things strated clicking in place for me in my 3rd race, I managed to get 9th in the solo category at an 18hr race near Richmond, my best finish yet.

Edit to add:

Break things up into little chunks. Instead of thinking like it is a 6 hour race, go at like it is two 3 hour races. This really helps for longer events.
    Last edited by kev0153; 09-08-2006 at 11:04 AM.

SS Pusher Man
    Yeah, it is the Switchback 6 hr. out at the Flying B.

I'll be doing this Solo. I heard that there will be at least 1 practice day. 2 would be even better!

Really appreciate all the advice so far!

Since I am such a newb can you guys give me some advice on how do you race a 6 hour from a tactical perspective?

I am actually doing this race in the middle of my cross season, which means I will be use to giving everything I got in 40min. (probably a bad idea to try that for this race).

Definately go to the preride. I designed much of the course. There are some spots where knowing the course will definately help you out.

From a tactical standpoint....don't go out too hard. Usually when the gun goes off most people get caught up in the moment and go out too hard. This course has a fair amount of climbing on it, so pace yourself. There are areas to recover...use them, you will need them. Lap times should be 40-55 mins for the intermediate riders. Make sure to drink lots of water....it does get warm at the Flying B.

Divide the race up into 2 or 3 sections.....(2) 3 hr races or (3) 2 hr races. Believe it or not, the time goes by pretty quick.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be the one out running the prerides. Not sure if I am going to race yet or not.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Split the ride up

By saying to split the ride up, do you mean to really take a break at those intervals? Like stop after 2 hours for a 5 minute break, stretch, cool down, rub your muscles, etc?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I did my very first 6 hour solo yesterday so here is my two cents...

I could not imagine doing it on a my HT, my course was really bumpy, rough as all get out, and it beat you to death. 6 hours on my HT I would of felt like a rag doll.

So see how rough it is, if its rough for sure FS. I rode my blur and it was a great ride. But I do have a huge blister on the palm of my left hand.

I did take the advice here and split mine into 2 3 hour races. At 3 hours I took a 10m break thinking I was going to need it but in the end I think I would of been fine to keep going.

It went by fast, and it was a blast. my lap times were similar to what is posted too with them being 42-46m laps. Funny thing is my last lap was my second fastest lap.

Its a blast and you will love it. Good luck.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Start on the HT if you are faster on it. Switch to the FS at any point your butt, back, arms or shoulders get tired.

If you are faster on the FS then go FS the whole way. Go out and time some laps.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbers
    By saying to split the ride up, do you mean to really take a break at those intervals? Like stop after 2 hours for a 5 minute break, stretch, cool down, rub your muscles, etc?
    Either split it up mentally or take a break, depends on how you feel. If you do take a break don't stop too long and don't sit down

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

6 hr race suggestion

just did a 56mile offroad race in Virginia yesterday. my best suggestion would be to go light, which ever one that is. Im sure the hardtail will be nicer for those climbs. my Trek hardtail did great for me! good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0