mtbr member
    Aug 2009

5'8", maybe still growing (small or medium), ASRc?

Right now I'm 5'7.7" and I'm highly interested in buying a Yeti ASRc. However there are a couple things I'm worried about:

-The ASRc has an integrated seatpost, meaning if I get the medium, will I have to cut it really really low? since I may still be growing and I don't want to outgrow the bike.

-Should I get a small frame and cut the seat post a little higher?

-thanks!

p.s. I normally ride 17-17.5" frame bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you're still growing (or may be growing), I'd recommend against buying such an expensive bike, much less such an expensive bike with the integrated seat mast. While pro racers get new bikes every year, many folks don't have that luxury - and if you outgrow this bike's capability to fit you within a year or two, that's a lot of wasted cash. Look at something more traditional (normal seatpost design), and perhaps something a little less expensive, ride it hard for a year or two, until you're certain you're done growing. Then look at getting something like the ASRc.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Maybe get the ASR alloy. It is only 1/2 lb more. Trust me a 1/2 pound is nothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've been thinking the same thing (I'll rather have a carbon bike with a normal seatpost), but I also heard the ASRc is not just lighter but also a lot stiffer.

Anyone who owns the ASRc could give some input on seat post sizing? Looking at the frame specs, its seems really unusual.

mtbr member
    The old clamp design offers about =/- about 3/4" of adjustment after the post is cut. You could cut it right at your current height and it would allow for 1.5" of leg growth. I think the new design offers significantly more adjustment (maybe 3"?), maybe somebody who owns a clamp of the new design can chime in.

Yeti's estimation for height and bike size seems to be pretty accurate. At 5'8", you could go either small or med. But if you're still growing, I'd go med. Important as well is top tube length...how long is the TT on your current bike, does it feel too big (hard to fling around) or too small (sketchy at speed)?

I ride a med @ just over 5'11" and it feels a touch too small, but the large is far too big. I love the bike, it's a freakin rocket.

I will also echo what others have said and be sure you won't outgrow the bike, because if you need to sell it...resale could be poor with a short cut post.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    The old clamp design offers about =/- about 3/4" of adjustment after the post is cut. You could cut it right at your current height and it would allow for 1.5" of leg growth. I think the new design offers significantly more adjustment (maybe 3"?), maybe somebody who owns a clamp of the new design can chime in.

Yeti's estimation for height and bike size seems to be pretty accurate. At 5'8", you could go either small or med. But if you're still growing, I'd go med. Important as well is top tube length...how long is the TT on your current bike, does it feel too big (hard to fling around) or too small (sketchy at speed)?

I ride a med @ just over 5'11" and it feels a touch too small, but the large is far too big. I love the bike, it's a freakin rocket.

I will also echo what others have said and be sure you won't outgrow the bike, because if you need to sell it...resale could be poor with a short cut post.
    thanks for the input. Do you know if the newer clamp will be shipped with the Yeti 2010 ASRc frame? I'm not sure what my TT is since I don't have my bike atm to measure, but I do know 17.5" frames are like perfect for me. Being 5'7.7" with a medium frame, do you think I will have to cut the seatpost really short? I would prefer it to be as long as it can while still fitting me.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

5'8"

I am closer to 5'9" and I rode a medium for half of last year. Depending on how long your legs are, you will be whacking a fair amount off of the mast. The new adjustable clamps are not doing so well so I would stick with the old clamp, and just make sure you cut off the bare minimum. You can then adjust up almost and inch with spacers as you grow.

As others have said, I wouldn't go with a rigid mast ever again. Due to the heavy clamp it saves no weight, it doesn't make the bike pedal faster, It hammers your back harder, makes resale nearly impossible, it won't fit in a standard frame box to sell or ship, the new clamps are breaking for everyone I know, sometimes damaging the frame.....etc.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I see. I was wondering, for a person of my height (5'8") would I have to cut more than half the mast on medium frame?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm a little over 5'8" and ride a bike with a top tube just a tiny bit shorter than the ASR (Older Hardrock, medium.) So I think you'd be fine on the medium, and it won't be too short if you grow or start wanting a longer reach for climbing or riding in a lower position.

I'd say that unless you have the money to spend on the ASR carbon, the money to replace it in a couple seasons if you grow or break it, and the money to get the ASR carbon in the XTR kit, it probably makes more sense to get the plain ASR. You can spend the extra money on some really nice wheels and a kickass fork and race fees. Or work less and ride your bike more. Or another bike, even - it's a pretty big difference in cost, enough for a cyclocross bike, for example.

When you talk Yeti into giving you trade price, get the carbon.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx