mtbr member
    Nov 2010

5 minute blow up?

Are there times where you just don't have it? I went on a group ride yesterday with some guys that I knew were stronger riders than I am. No big deal, a good opportunity to push a little harder. Within 5 minutes my heart was pegged and I just couldn't recover. It was a three hour ride on some pretty rocky terrain but no real climbing. As soon as I would push more than say 75% my heart rate would hit the redline and I would have to slow down. It took a long time for me to warm up and I felt ok during the middle of the ride but was totally sacked at the end.

I'm 42 in good shape and eat pretty healthy. I ride 25 miles off road at a fairly high intensity 3 times a week and usually two road rides 30-40 miles twice a week with varying intensity. Not super scientific just sort mixing it up from day to day. My schedule was off due to work and vacation and I didn't ride quite as much the last two weeks but was feeling run down and needed a rest anyhow. Normally I feel better after a little off time not so much yesterday. I felt as if I'd lost 30% of my cardio.

I know there's not a ton of detail with my training schedule but is there something I'm missing or should do differently? Or should I just chalk it up to just not being on the same level and having an off day?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe you are getting sick. A couple times now I have had pretty crappy rides and didn't know what was up. I felt relatively fine but couldn't put down power like I usually can. Both times a day or two days later I was sick with sore throat/flem.

From what I have heard is that increased training loads for a long period of time can lower our immune systems. Because of this I have heard that cyclocross racers have a really hard time being at their peak performance during the winter and stay away from getting sick.

I am not stating that this is definitely happening, it is just what has happened to me and a theory.

Also, some group rides like to peg it right from the start to see who they can put a hurt on early on. Maybe they were more used to it, or more warmed up than you were.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It sounds like you were coming off a work/vacation break and tried riding at a level your body just wasn't ready to deliver. It sounds like maybe it was a new ride for you? As tooclosetosee mentioned, lots of competitive riders/rides like to put the hurt on early.

Don't take it too seriously and try the ride again soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It was tough terrain for sure but not the first time I'd ridden it but it had been about 2 weeks since I did a really hard ride. I also had a cold that still seemed to be lingering from vacation last week. I was surprised at the condition of my cardio, I hadn't felt that bad on a ride in a long time. The guys in the group weren't chump riders and I may have been pushing harder than I realized as well. I'll agree that it was go right from the start and I generally take a bit to warm up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    it had been about 2 weeks since I did a really hard ride. I also had a cold that still seemed to be lingering from vacation last week. I may have been pushing harder than I realized as well. I'll agree that it was go right from the start and I generally take a bit to warm up.
    ...I think you just answered your own question.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The cold was pretty well gone just didn't expect to lose so much after a short time off the bike. Today I feel fine not sore or anything and don't have that over did it feeling in my legs. Like you guys said probably just a combination of factors that led to an off day.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    The cold was pretty well gone just didn't expect to lose so much after a short time off the bike. Today I feel fine not sore or anything and don't have that over did it feeling in my legs. Like you guys said probably just a combination of factors that led to an off day.
    agreed