Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

4 close calls in 2.5 months.

Love the workout i get on the road bike and my mountain bike speed and endurance has increased a ton ( i never really did a routine before though) but i have a 4 year old son and once on a group ride a car tried to pass the car behind us while we were turning and it was cllllllllooooossseee. 2 times solo i have been barley missed by car mirrors and once a car turned in front of me. I live near a paved greenway but now i have a road bike that would be overkill for just spinning laps. Not digging the road danger at all. I might just sell it and try some rollers or street wheels back on the mtb.

Anyone else experience this?

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    Was just discussing this with a friend who used the old chestnut that you buy health insurance for mountain biking and life insurance for road biking.

mtbr member

4 close calls in 2.5 months.

Staying safe on the road is a definite concern. On a bike it only takes one mistake and you're f-ed. There are a few things that I do to try and deal with this - visibility and also how you ride.

Something that's become increasingly popular round here over the last few years is to have daytime running lights on the bike, front and rear lights to make drivers sit up and take notice. You don't need (or want) huge amounts of lumens for daytime use as you don't really want to aggravate other road users by blinding them. Small lightweight lights do the job well enough.

I currently have Lezyne Zecto drive USB rechargeable lights front (single solid LED and then two LED flashing mode, 3h40 battery life) and rear (solid low beam, 4h battery life), along with a Cateye Rapid-X TL-700 rear light (solid low beam, 5hr battery life) for a double stack of rear lights. When I'm in the car seeing a single rear light on a bike often doesn't catch my eye. The double rear lights add a bit more oomph.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/led-l...to-drive-front

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...light-ec053177

Along with lights clothing can make a difference. It seems to be fashionable to ride in all black at the moment. From a safety perspective it's hopeless and really badly thought through on the part of the cyclists who do that. The other day I was out on the bike and there was someone on a road bike coming the other way during the day. I was riding straight into quite a low winter sun. He was wearing all black kit, black bike and the only reason I spotted him at all was because of the fluorescent yellow winter gloves he was wearing. Apart from that he didn't show up at all.

If you wear a brightly coloured jersey or jacket and a brightly coloured helmet it helps. Don't be a ninja.

How you ride makes a big difference too. It's all about anticipating what other vehicles are going to do and making sure that you're prepared for them to do something daft. Being alert, signalling your intentions clearly and riding defensively. Covering your lines and taking a primary road position where needed.

Saying that, there are some incredibly bad drivers on the roads. You can do everything right, be lit up like a christmas tree and at some point someone will still have a good go at left hooking you, oblivious to anything but their sat nav which is directing them down a one way street that's a dead end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Re: 4 close calls in 2.5 months.

My road riding is on country roads where I seldom see a car and the scenery is beautiful. Though I have had the occasional teenage redneck "roll coal" on me, most people are polite, give me lots of space and sometimes wave at the funny looking cyclist in spandex.... I had a close encounter last fall where an impatient truck pulling a fifth wheel camper went around me and came within inches of running me off the road. We just happen to be going downhill when it happened I was doing close to 40 mph, it probably would've killed me. Right after the truck/camper went by a big diesel truck buzzed me. I was a little frazzled after that encounter but honestly for me, they're rare.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Formerly of Kent
    My last real road ride was over three years ago. Ten miles from home, black Caddy SUV honks at us from behind. Two dudes drafting with me in front. We're to the right of the white line.

The computer shows my speed going from 27mph to 0 in about a second. The road was a rural two lane sort, but saw a decent amount of traffic at times. This was not one of them. The speed limit being 55mph, and given how quickly he/she passed us, I'm guessing the vehicle was going somewhere between 50-60mph when it hit me.

Right front quarter panel, straight to my ass. Knocked me straight into the ditch. Rolled a couple times, popped up, and I kid you not, I started running after the vehicle. I would have publicly executed that person on national TV if given the chance. That dude had such little regard for me as a human that he either hit me on purpose, or couldn't be bothered to slow down and pass with the least bit of care.

mtbr member
    Sold my road bike 2 years ago. Have had too many friends hit in this area and too many close calls to count. There have been 3 fatalities here in the last 2 years and they were avid cyclists. I stick to dirt and gravel roads now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Buy a dinotte 400 tail light. You need a much brighter tail light during the day time. I have a Design Shine 500. I seldom run it on high. People pull up and thank me for being able to see me from so far away. I lost a friend who wasn't using one. All my friends have very bright lights now. little blinkies may seem bright but they aren't bright enough. 30$ lights with aaa batteries are not at all adequate. We spend 200-300$ for these tail lights. Just do it for you and your kid. You won't know if it saves your life.
    Last edited by rayfromtx; 02-10-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    My cycle tour blog; raymoorerides.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Im thnking of just selling it. Wife says to just ride it on greenway but i just feel the bike needs a better home than mine. Somebody who will do granfondos on it.

I have some very bright serfas lights lights front and rear but i just dont feel comfy on the road anymore. Think ive answered my iwn questions. Ill just have to figure a way to keep up my endurance without a road bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I used to be an ardent roadie in the past. Don't know if I just get old (being a Dad really makes you more timid) but I've experienced so much sh&% on the road lately that I try to avoid it as much as possible. Somehow it was more relaxed 10 years ago (or maybe I was). It feels that traffic has become more aggressive.

Formerly of Kent
    Oddly enough, my experience was my first ride back after living in OR (home for the holidays), which was, in my time there, the proverbial "Promised Land".

Two years, and not a single honk, buzzing, close call or assault. One ride in IL, and I get smoked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Oddly enough, my experience was my first ride back after living in OR (home for the holidays), which was, in my time there, the proverbial "Promised Land".

Two years, and not a single honk, buzzing, close call or assault. One ride in IL, and I get smoked.
    I spent a week in Hoffman Estates, IL lest year, Before heading out I scoped a few bike paths and lanes via google maps and man was it dicey. People driving in the bike lanes, buzzing, and throwing things. Terrible area.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Road bike on paved bike paths when alone (I'm fortunate that I have about 200miles available to me). Only time riding the actual road is with training groups in which we are 10+ together. It seems we are much more visible that way.

The positive is that the group rides are very fast and a great way to keep in shape, so you don't need more than 1 or 2 a week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    ...There are a few things that I do to try and deal with this - visibility and also how you ride.
    +1
    additionally, I've recently purchased some used contour roam cameras on eBay (if you're patient you can get these in the $60-$70 range). These are great because they're waterproof enough to deal with drizzle and road spray from a tire if you get caught out. I do wish I'd done a little more research though because these are missing a feature I'd really like but didn't think about until afterwards.

I don't think I've seen this posted on mtbr but this project is pretty intriguing as well rideye.com mostly because of the continuous loop option - something that would be really neat on the coutour but not currently available

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    *knock on wood* I've only had a handful of close encounters, and they've mostly been while riding in town, and not really out on the back country roads. However, my boyfriend did get hit from behind in September by a vehicle while he was going 35mph out on one of those country roads, and the car kept driving. He managed to call me on his cell phone while laying in the ditch. Fracture pelvis and lots of pretty road rash... bike came out with only very minor cosmetic damage. Vehicle never stopped and since he was skidding across the road, the boyfriend didn't catch a plate or good description. That did rattle the both of us for awhile and it was a few months before the road bikes came off the trainers and onto the road.

I'm just very hyper vigilant and always stare down drivers that seem like they're going to ignore me and just fly through a driveway or intersection, and for some reason they tend to stop and wait for me when I do that (I must have an awesome ***** face?). I also usually wear neon pink and ride a neon pink bike, so I like to think I can be easily seen. It's all the damn idiots with road rage or who are distracted that scare me. Otherwise I think the majority of cars on the roads I ride are good and polite. I do enjoy road biking both for the training and just the places I get to go while doing it.

mtbr member
    You can be doing all the right things but it only takes one person texting and you are toast. That is what bothers me the most now, I see so many drivers weaving, going through red lights, stopping at green lights, that it makes me wonder if I was bright as the sun they would still run me over.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    My last car encounter on the road was a very pleasant one. My frame broke when I was 30 miles out of town, alone on a quiet road without cell service. I started walking home, and soon after, someone drove by, pulled over, and asked if I needed a ride. I gladly accepted.

That said, I don't really miss riding on the road too much. It's fun, and I don't have too many problems with drivers -- the troublesome ones usually the ones who don't know that I have the legal right to the road, same as they do -- but riding on the dirt is so much more fun. Being a full-time mtb'er has really strengthened my technical skills, and I'm still exploring new trails and finding new routes to ride. It's tough when the trails are wet and I can't ride until they dry out, but that's just a minor thing. Not really worth buying a new frame over.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ride narrow mountain roads almost exclusively, although every once in a while a car does come close, most are very aware and give plenty of room. Although I know, " it only takes one time", I enjoy road riding too much to give it up.
    What helps me, I listen to cars coming up on me, sometimes you can tell how close or where in the lane they are, maybe that come with experience(30 years of riding on the road). All things said, I still enjoy riding off road more than on the road

mtbr member
    I had a couple close calls last summer, all of which were "in town." Once I'm out on the highway, its not bad. I ended up putting lights on the bike front and rear. I also bought a few hi lighter yellow jerseys, that almost glow in the dark they're so bright. I need to get a bright wind jacket now too, since mine is black.

I also ride through town and assume no one sees me. It works out better that way, but its still not perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am fortunate to have a paved trail that runs for 50 plus miles right behind my house so this is what I ride with a mountain bike. Like others above, my experience on the road has been scary with some close calls. To me it is not worth it to go on the road for a work out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    95% of my commuting takes place on multi-use paths, not roads. Additionally, I use very bright lighting when I am on the roads.
    The extra rides I do on the road bike take place on low traffic country roads.

mtbr member
    If I had kids in the house depending on me, I would not road bike.

Statistically, it's one of the most deadly hobbies you can do. Riding a motorcycle does top it though.

In Utah, the road biking isn't too unsafe, but people still die here and there. It's a tight community of cyclist here and I've known a few who have died or spent a lot of time in ER due to collisions with cars.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post
    I used to be an ardent roadie in the past. Don't know if I just get old (being a Dad really makes you more timid) but I've experienced so much sh&% on the road lately that I try to avoid it as much as possible. Somehow it was more relaxed 10 years ago (or maybe I was). It feels that traffic has become more aggressive.
    Comes with age and experience. I still use the roads to access trail systems, thereby adding more riding time. However, I've become more leery these past few yrs for whatever reasons. It hasn't stopped me from enjoying my riding though; I guess I refuse to relent.

I recently had 2 city rednecks in a van try to assault me and gave chase for some time before giving up on me. I became scared for my life for that period of 40 minutes, and it took a good day or so to come down from that.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was recently hit while road riding, I had a bright set of lights and everything but a 15yr girl ran a red light and slammed into me, after slowing a little she took off.

I don't think I have ever been that mad in my entire life, the lack of care for my life was almost saddening. I was able to memorize the plate and the police were able to find them and there insurance is paying my medical bills, but I think the person who let her drive is being charged with letting someone without a license drive, I don't think shes been charged with anything. I think both should be charged though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What you can do if you have any close calls that we're on purpose, get the license plate number, description of car and driver if possible and file a police report, that way if it ever happens again, or the driver does hit someone, it shows that it is a pattern of aggressive driving. The police may be reluctant to take a report, but let them know how serious you are tell them that if that same driver does hit someone and you tried to warn them of that driver, it's on them.

mtbr member
    Wife doesnt want me to sell the road bike. She wants me to ride on the local greenway. Its wide enough and actually has some climbs....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast