mtbr member
    May 2017

30 Day Test Of Trainer Road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Speaking as a fellow Trainer Road user. I can't imagine using rollers to complete some of these workouts... It would be tough and I don't think I'd see the true ability for these workouts to cultivate power as they are originally intended to. The power based nature of the workouts require a lot muscular focus and I'd be afraid that the nature of the rollers and the balance they require would take a way from the specificity of the workout. Just my thoughts and I'm interested to hear your takeaway at the end.

I'm eight weeks into T.R. Sweet Spot Base Low Volume and supplementing with outdoor rides to achieve higher weekly volume (TSS) while not being stuck indoors on a trainer all the time. This has been working great and I've seen significant improvements in Watts/KG so far. Really looking forward to getting into the Build phase next.

Keep us posted and good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice work and keep it up...I'm a TR devote and have tried the others (Zwift, training peaks..others)
    Looking at your power profile for your FTP test it looks like you did it right. You did have slowly escilating power to the end which ideally you should have it a bit more flat because it means that with the bigger power at the end you had some left in the tank.
    Do the FTP tests often. You get used to the time and power and it really is good at illustrating your fitness. Strong FTP BTW! I only wished mine were that high (closer to 260 ...like to blame that on my old age but..)
    I agree with MSN about using rollers but know pleanty of people that use them for this and they like it and get used to it. KICKR's are getting cheaper on the used market and really i would look for one but i get your roller fetish.
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MNSnoPro View Post
    Speaking as a fellow Trainer Road user. I can't imagine using rollers to complete some of these workouts... It would be tough and I don't think I'd see the true ability for these workouts to cultivate power as they are originally intended to. The power based nature of the workouts require a lot muscular focus and I'd be afraid that the nature of the rollers and the balance they require would take a way from the specificity of the workout. Just my thoughts and I'm interested to hear your takeaway at the end.
    I think if you tried rollers you may find you like them. There is a short learning curve, but once you get use to them they are as close to riding outside as you can get.

I have been using the Elite Arion Mag rollers with Trainerroad for about 2 years. In that time I have worked my way through several complete training programs, including base, build and specialty cycles. For me, rollers make it much more tolerable. I also don't have to worry about damaging my carbon frame while doing high power intervals, which potentially could be a risk when locked into a trainer. I do find it awkward to ride out of the saddle and just don't do it.

I recently upgraded from the Elite Arion Mag roller ("dumb" rollers) to the Elite Arion Digital Smart B+, which is a smart roller. The great thing about these is the rollers automatically change resistance in response to input from Trainerroad. The rollers continuously adjusts resistance to maintain the targeted power regardless of your cadence. Attempting make an interval easier by shifting to an easier gear or pedaling slower only causes the roller to increase the resistance to maintain the targeted power. It forces you to perform the entire interval at the targeted power. There is not escaping it. The only way to stop the pain is to stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Week 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLGCyoGNFPg

I talk a little about my roller experience in this video but it's going well so far. I wish everything was going as well as the rollers.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Week 3 - Netflix & Work Hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1veeXWTfe5g

Things are getting harder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Wow great job and fun to hear your opinions on it. Keep up the great work. Really enjoy your comments. You changed my thoughts on the rollers.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'll be doing a live stream of my 8 minute FTP test tonight at 7 CDT, come heckle me! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ...v486AUqQQ/live

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So how did the FTP test go?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Sorry I left you guys hanging, Week 4 went up last week:
    Waxing On About Virtual Power In Week 4

Quote Originally Posted by MNSnoPro View Post
    So how did the FTP test go?
    Funny you should ask. FTP Results and my last few workouts

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Cool! Thanks Jason. That's nearly a 9% increase in your FTP. Nice work!!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Final thoughts and a chance for one person to win a free 30 day test of Trainer Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1rBhdFO7o