Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2x9 with XT crank

Sorry if there was a post on this before, but I had trouble finding anything.

After drooling over the XX setup but lacking the funds, I've been thinking about going back to a 2x9 setup. I use to have a CODA 2x9 crank, but it never seem to shift well for me, besides even the 29/42t setup seemed something to be desired for my clyde butt and bad knees on the long Rocky mtn climbs.

Ideally, I'm thinking of a 26/38t option, it'll give me all the gear range I need, with a 11-34 cassette, and a little extra clearance for logs/ rocks. Sure, running this on my XT cranks will not have the cool q-factor of the xx. I can only seem to find Salsa and Middleburn making these chainring sizes for the 64/104 size setup, with the Middleburn tough to find in the US. Are there other options out there? Do the Salsa rings shift well?

Dirty South Underdog
    Blackspire makes a lot of different sized rings. I just ordered some to convert my Noir crank to 2x9.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Starbike in Germany

Got my French made Specialites from them. Many, BCD and tooth combinations are available (I'm running XTR 970 2x9 (26,40)). Went in with frinds to get a order large enough to cover shipping. Tried to get Harris out of Mass to get these for me but they were not interested (they import Specialites rings). I feel they are missing a great opportinity.

Dirk

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Contact this guy. He's a regular on the Singlespeed board. He can mill you custom, very round rings for a very reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The SLX 665 double crankset comes with 36/22 and is allegedly quite good. It's a little heavier than the XT but a lot of that is the bashguard, which could be dropped or exchanged for something lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    Do the Salsa rings shift well?
    I have a Salsa 36t ring that I bought to make a 1x9. It doesn't have any shifting ramps/pins. I'm not sure if Salsa makes some rings with shifting ramps/pins, but if not, I would guess that shifting is not as good as stock Shimano.

Another thought, I recall reading that SRAM claims that a second ring that is 50% bigger (in teeth) than the first ring has some shifting benefits (example: 26/39) Anyway, maybe that is a consideration when picking size of rings????
    -

Addictive website!

TwoWheelTweets.com

All of cycling's twitter tweets in one place!

-

mtbr member
    Blackspire Super Pros
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you need to make front up-shifts under load, find some ramped rings. They are a bit hard to find still for some reason but they are out there (blackspire or the SLX rings).

If you can time you front shifts wiht no load (think o fthe front as high range/low range selector) then you can get away with non-ramped rings (that are infinately easier to find). I have been running 24-38 front with no pins or ramps on my XT arms (and other cranks) on the 'all but DH' bike for several years with no problems.

I do find that with the larger spread up front (and a wide 11-32 in back) that I make fewer front shifts. There are fewer redundant gears so I feel as if I can just set the front to 'low' (for the climb) or 'high' (for all flatter/rolling/DH) depending on the terrain, and go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I run 40/28 on XT cranks using Specialites TA rings, the rings work great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks all for the responses. The specialties rings seem a pain the ass to get, any leads on a US dealer? Or is Starbike not that bad for a small order? Otherwise the blackspire seems to be the front runner for me, although I would like that Specialties 40t, Blackspire is 38 or 42. I'm definitely wanting the 26 for the small ring, just seems like it will provide the right low range for me. I do worry about the 14t jump from 26-40 pushing shift quality a little, but it seems like it might be working for a few here.

Also, for you guys running the 2x9: did you have to do any adjustments to the chainline (spacers, etc...)? And how do you like the gear spread you are running? Can you run the full cassette on both rings?

Yeah, I prefer ramps. My first mtb was before ramps even on the cassette existed, and I don't have great memories of the shifting in those days.

Always Learning
    I can only seem to find Salsa and Middleburn making these chainring sizes for the 64/104 size setup, with the Middleburn tough to find in the US.
    Shouldn't be tough. Alex at MTBTandems.com is the US dealer and can get all the Middleburn gear for you from Middleburn UK. Give him a shout and you are in business.

BB

mtbr member
    I just setup my xtr (m970) cranks with a 26 raceface in the granny position and a FSA 38 in the middle position. Works good. No ramps on the FSA but I didn't want to drop the $$ on the expensive ring before I knew if the 26/38 combo was gonna work. I don't mind the lack of ramps/pins much really though.

The real test will be next april though when on a particularly brutal steep climbing course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Also, for you guys running the 2x9: did you have to do any adjustments to the chainline (spacers, etc...)? And how do you like the gear spread you are running? Can you run the full cassette on both rings?
    XT cranks (tripple) have a 50.0mm chainline when set-up as per directions. A 135mm rear hub has a chainline of 47.5mm. When you remove the large ring on any tripple crank set, the chainline decreases by 2.5mm. For the XT, simply ditching the large ring gives you a 'perfect' 47.5mm chainline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    XT cranks (tripple) have a 50.0mm chainline when set-up as per directions. A 135mm rear hub has a chainline of 47.5mm. When you remove the large ring on any tripple crank set, the chainline decreases by 2.5mm. For the XT, simply ditching the large ring gives you a 'perfect' 47.5mm chainline.
    Can you use your full cassette in both rings? I worry about the small/ small combo. I figure the chainline would be about perfect in the bigger ring for the whole range as it sits in the middle ring slot. I know there is a lot of gear overlap (been looking at gear inch charts on sheldonbrown.com), and shifting to the big ring about midway through the cassette would cover the full range: so this wouldn't be a deal breaker, just curious.

Here's the gear charts FYI ( copied from sheldon's gear calculator, cool feature btw):

22 32 44
    11 52.0 75.6 104.0

13 44.0 64.0 88.0

15 38.1 55.5 76.3

17 33.6 48.9 67.3

20 28.6 41.6 57.2

23 24.9 36.2 49.7

26 22.0 32.0 44.0

30 19.1 27.7 38.1

34 16.8 24.5 33.6

26 38
    11 61.5 89.8

13 52.0 76.0

15 45.1 65.9

17 39.8 58.1

20 33.8 49.4

23 29.4 43.0

26 26.0 38.0

30 22.5 32.9

34 19.9 29.1

All you loose is the gearing from 44x11 and 22x34, and I hardly ever use either. If you go with shimano's new 12-36 9 speed cassette you can get the low down to 18.8 gear inches, but you loose some of the top end, unless you bump to a 40 big ring, which is 86.7 for 40x12 btw. Meanwhile you loose about 80 grams or you can put on a blackspire lightweight bash guard for a net even weight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've converted two XT cranks to 2x9 using both Salsa and Blackspire Super Pros. They both shift really good. Just took a little time to set up, but I'm not a full time mechanic - a good mechanic could probably get them dialed in quicker. One tip on the Salsa ring - it needs to be put on "backward" or label facing in. The chain ring bolts won't rub on the chain, and even though there's not ramps or pins, it shifts on demand.

AKA Dr.Nob
    I've used "touring" chainrings before

"Touring" cranks have 28, 38 and 48 teeth chainrings. I just used the 28 and 38. They are cheap steel chain rings and they needed the inside ground out with an air grinder to clear the external BB bearing.

They are cheap and any good bike store (and a lot of bad ones) will be able to get hold of them.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I tried using a set of Blackspire SuperPro 104/64 38/26 rings on my Dos Niner. I kept getting issues when running in 26/11, 26/12 or 26/14, with the chain rubbing on the 38t ring. I figured it was just a rub thing, but on the trail, the 38 would try to pick up the chain.

I tried with my Truvativ Stylo OCT cranks, my XTR 960s and a Race Face Deus crankset. All of the setups gave me the same results. I even tried shifting all my spacers to one side to push the rings out as far as possible.

I later read that even the SRAM XX has this problem.

What has been your experience?

No longer 26
    I have had perfect shifting on Carbon Stylo cranks using Blackspire Super Pro 36 middle as my "big" with both 22 and 24 tooth granny rings. Not so good with the Race Face 36 middle ring where I got rub while in the granny small cog(s) combo. The 36 is about equal to a 44/13. On my 29ers, the 36 has been plenty on the big side.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    I tried using a set of Blackspire SuperPro 104/64 38/26 rings on my Dos Niner. I kept getting issues when running in 26/11, 26/12 or 26/14, with the chain rubbing on the 38t ring. I figured it was just a rub thing, but on the trail, the 38 would try to pick up the chain.

I tried with my Truvativ Stylo OCT cranks, my XTR 960s and a Race Face Deus crankset. All of the setups gave me the same results. I even tried shifting all my spacers to one side to push the rings out as far as possible.

I later read that even the SRAM XX has this problem.

What has been your experience?
    I've been thinking this would be the one downside. I had similar problems when I ran the CODA 2x9. Running small/ small wouldn't rub but cause an extreme chainline that would wear out my derailleur pulleys, something I've never had a problem with before or since I went back to a triple. I also ran a gripshift front shifter so I could dial in the trim on the front derailleur, and keep it from rubbing.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I can do custom sized rings, but i dont do ramped. You dont need ramped for your smallest gear though. CB2 alreadly linked my site (thanks Charlie!), but here it is again: http://homebrewedcomponents.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I can do custom sized rings, but i dont do ramped. You dont need ramped for your smallest gear though. CB2 alreadly linked my site (thanks Charlie!), but here it is again: http://homebrewedcomponents.wordpress.com/
    would you be interested in making a custom spider for a bonty/truvativ crankset for a 2x9 application?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    would you be interested in making a custom spider for a bonty/truvativ crankset for a 2x9 application?
    i can make them, i'll be working on spider designs shortly, and i already make spiderless rings for at least the bontrager crank (i have one on my rig).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i can make them, i'll be working on spider designs shortly, and i already make spiderless rings for at least the bontrager crank (i have one on my rig).
    you have my undivided attention!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    DMR Shift R Rings from Chain Reaction. They work great on a LX crankset.
    Here.

mtbr member
    just do yourself a favor and go 1x9, it makes life so easy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast