Now broadcasting from CO

New question here. 2x9 derailluer question

Hey guys that run 2x9... what do you think the best front derailluer is for that use? I currently run an XT, but I keep dropping the chain into the space where the granny ring use to be. Can this be adjusted by cleaning up my chain line, or is there something special you have to do with the derailluer??? Is it possible to run a roadie FD, which is made for two rings? I just started doing it this year and have dropped numerous chains on technical descents. Thanks for the help guys.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    adjust your limit screws so it doesn't go down that far. also try running a paul's SS tensioner, it has play in the pully wheels to allow for better chainlines, this may take some of the pull towards the granny gear away.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    You really should have no trouble with your current derailluer if you get your limit screws ajusted right. Let all the tension off of the cable, then screw the lower limit screw in until it is directly over the middle ring (which is now your little ring). Then re-attach the cable and make sure that you can shift between your 2 rings. You'll know that it is ajusted right if you can shift right and the chain has little or no rub in the little ring when you are in the largest cog.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

chips & bier
    Spot on. Also, if at all possible, try and use a smaller BB axle (a 108 mm if you run ISIS cranks, 107 if you have square taper). This improves the chainline ever so slightly.

Running a road derailleur is, IMHO, pointless unless yuo're going to be a weenie about every gram. The cages are shaped to shift from say a 40 to a 52t ring, not from a 30 to a 42/44t, so shifting performance will be less.

Members who have read this thread: 0