Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 29er regrets?

mtbr member

29er regrets?

Anybody out there buy a 29er and later regretted the purchase?

livin' the dream......
    My only regret is that I did not go 29 sooner!
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Zero regrets, 29er is the way to roll

mtbr member
    After getting my 29er HT in June, I regret the 26er FS I bought in Feb and can't seem to sell it.

Dirty South Underdog
    Not me!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Or me!

29er's rule!

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    No regrets from me. Happy enough to be buying another in the near future.

mtbr member
    I don't regret having tried it for a year, and having decided it wasn't for me, no. Otherwise I'd still be wondering if there was any useful performance advantage to them. At least on my normal courses, where there's few rolling sections and plenty of tight slow corners, they don't work well as a race machine.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Back from the dead

I haven't heard from you in ages!

I'm running both right now (26 FS and 29 HT). If I only had the 29HT I would be questioning myself, as it is not ideal for all the riding and racing I do. I still like the squish on the endurance events in particular. For shorter stuff, I think it's perfect half the time, and slower half the time. For those courses that suit it, its incredible.

Where I live up the hill from you, it's great to have the 29'er HT for my long training rides, as I'm linking so much dirt road, pavement and singletrack to get in the bigger miles. Riding the FS on alot of that terrain gets really old to me, especially as I like to stand out of the saddle on a long gravel climb. The 26" wheels also seem to roll so much slower on that stuff.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Like used2B... I have both 26" FS for racing, and then currently a FS 29er and a soft tail 29er. I'll be using both this winter to train on, trying to save the 26er for next year's race season.

I love the big wheels and thoroughly enjoy riding them. If I could afford a new race bike for next season, I'm almost positive it'd be the 29er S-Works HT, or the new Niner AIR9 carbon. I'd keep the Epic for certain courses for sure, though.

Never regretted any of my 29er bikes, though That being said, of my current stable... the Epic is hands down my fave bike. But, it's 21-22lbs, killer suspension, no pedal bob... hard to beat. I've never ridden either of the carbon HT 29's.

mtbr member
    No regrets here
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Absolutely no regrets.

Complete Bastard
    No regrets. I had an sworks epic, it was nice. Sold it to buy a 29er, while I was waiting on a custom frame I rode my old stumpjumper hardtail and was faster over the same course than I was on the epic. I know, I know.... crazy, right? Then I got my 29er HT, and I was even faster. It's not for every course, but it's good for 99% of the courses I ride (midwest). Next bike I buy will be a full sus 29er like a Jet9. But I'll wait till I'm old and decrepit for that.

mtbr member
    For riding rigid and singlespeed, 29er seems the way to go.

But I am not convinced that suspension and 29 inch wheels make much sense (if performance is important to you). With suspension, the advantage of larger wheels diminish somewhat and then you are left with rotational mass that nobody needs. But I still love my Superfly.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member

Hey Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    I haven't heard from you in ages!

I'm running both right now (26 FS and 29 HT). If I only had the 29HT I would be questioning myself, as it is not ideal for all the riding and racing I do. I still like the squish on the endurance events in particular. For shorter stuff, I think it's perfect half the time, and slower half the time. For those courses that suit it, its incredible.

Where I live up the hill from you, it's great to have the 29'er HT for my long training rides, as I'm linking so much dirt road, pavement and singletrack to get in the bigger miles. Riding the FS on alot of that terrain gets really old to me, especially as I like to stand out of the saddle on a long gravel climb. The 26" wheels also seem to roll so much slower on that stuff.
    Was trolling around on your blog the other night. You have come along ways in the last 3 or 4 years. I'm glad to see you have kept the drive alive. I did a race last year (growler) and it was fun, but I wasn't in the shape that I used to be in. I'd like to get back to that spot, and I'm just not really enjoying riding that much. Thought about a 29er...everyone says they are so much fun. Here is my dillema:

Everyone says the acceleration is slower. Don't need any help there, traveling around 3-4 mph on technical sections, makes me think that the technical sections will be even more difficult. Having not ridden a 29er, I'm thinking that the acceleration penalty doesn't hurt as much during low speed accelerations, vs, higher speed accelerations.

I appreciate all your comments.

Keep them coming.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Fun

Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Thought about a 29er...everyone says they are so much fun. Here is my dillema:

Everyone says the acceleration is slower. Don't need any help there, traveling around 3-4 mph on technical sections, makes me think that the technical sections will be even more difficult. Having not ridden a 29er, I'm thinking that the acceleration penalty doesn't hurt as much during low speed accelerations, vs, higher speed accelerations.

I appreciate all your comments.

Keep them coming.
    Your comment above says that it might be good for you. I may not always be the fastest on my Niner, but I do usually have more fun on it. It's like a big goofball bike for me. The way it carves, and plows over stuff...the way it descends is incredible. I always am smiling on it.

Techy sections are easier by far. I can clean stuff on Bergen on that HT all day long that troubles me on any 26" bike. The bigger wheels are a huge advantage going over anything.

It has been an interesting 4 years. That first ride I took with you seems like a different time and place. My endo over that waterbar still has me scratching my head! Never thought I'd be doing the kinda stuff I am now...that's for sure.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

on the other hand.......

after riding and racing only on 29ers for the past 7 years, my new fully carbon scott spark is WAY fun and WAY more flickable than my 29ers ever were. i do make techy sections, especially climbs easier on the new 26 as i can change line and pick over and around like i never could with bigger wheels. did an 83 mile ride last sunday on the spark. there was a mtb fest 30 miles via back roads away from where i live. so i had the choice of my independent ti 29er or the spark. chose the spark, locked her out, rode the hilly 30 miles to the event, rode the 23 mile singletrack advanced loop and then rode the 30 miles home. the difference? locked out, the spark was like a quick accelerating carbon ht and in the woods was way more fun than the indy. the indy may have gotten me there bit more quickly, but fun is the word here for me. even with 2.4 inch tires at 35 psi the scott was a breeze for all of the road miles. my 29er is now my commuter.

26 is the new 29..........

rog

mtbr member
    Hmm no regrets here. I rode 26ht before my 29ht and I like the 29 better. At first I thought it was hype,but after riding it for a while my 29er was better over rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My regrets

My only regret is that i have to wait longer for my old school 26er buddies to catch up..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My 26" rigid Cannondale really beats me up. Have a new Monocog 29er and that thing brings a huge smile to my face.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I recently had a rigid 29er HT. It's a really nice ride. I'm from a BMX background so the "fit" has to fit my xc riding style. IMO, I compared all my bikes on a up-hilly loose/rocky section where I ride. My finding is that with my 5'7 height and a 29 inseam didn't fit my 29er bike very well. Top tube clearance was a problem. But I was able to clear my test sight and do see it's strenghs. I know there are other 29er bikes that fit better out there, but for now, a 26 fs is much more my style. No regrets though on the 29er's. I will try a better fitted bike for my size this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i sort of regret having blown my wad on my Sworks HT, now that the 29er world has race bikes that measure up. i think i would rather have the Sworks 29er.

i also regret building my dream play bike in 29er. 6" 29er forks available at the time suck horribly, and havent gotten that much better since. should have built a nomad or a SX trail!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i like the concept of 29er but regret making the leap as it requires some level of interaction now with the retards who believe 29ers cure cancer

mtbr member
    Don't regret it for the XC trails around my area. But if I lived closer to the techy trails an hour or more from here, I'd want 26. It's much harder to flick 29 around, so I don't do some things on 29 that I used to do on 26.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    No regrets on my end. Not easily converted, and took a while for me to confirm what suited me best, but after spending time owning a 29er and 2 26ers and riding them all back to back on many trails, I sold off all my 26er stuff and am not looking back.

A FS 29er is a super fun bike to ride! I kept hearing about sluggish acceleration, slow turning, blah, blah, blah, but momentum is so much better that it just hasn't been an issue. Momentum is your friend. Now that there are more 29er fs bikes coming available to choose from it's just getting better.

All mountain, freeride and DH 26ers will be around for a while since there aren't many options to choose from. But as for hardtails, there is no comparison - the 29er ht is a winner hands down. With better and lighter wheels available now, I think the 26" ht will soon disappear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast