mtbr member
    Apr 2007

29er Race Wheels Recomendations

I'm thinking about going to a 29er for my race bike next year, most likely a Superfly or S-Work Stumpy HT. One of the least weight weenie things on the S-Works are the wheels at 1750g. Stan's has a set at 1425g, Race 29, that run $950. Does anyone have experience with these wheels: reliability, stiffness, do they hold a tire well? Any other good, lite, wheels out there.

mtbr member
    stans rims are brilliant. i have a set of 29er ztr 355 wheels that are really good. IMO best tubeless system there is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillhardtailing
    I'm thinking about going to a 29er for my race bike next year, most likely a Superfly or S-Work Stumpy HT. One of the least weight weenie things on the S-Works are the wheels at 1750g. Stan's has a set at 1425g, Race 29, that run $950. Does anyone have experience with these wheels: reliability, stiffness, do they hold a tire well? Any other good, lite, wheels out there.
    i think the 29er RACE wheels are even lighter than that actually. haven't ridden the 29er version, but the 26 RACE are very good. hold a rim WAY better than any other rims I have tried.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't know how the the 29inch race wheels are but I know the 26inch ones require you to be fairly competent with a spoke wrench.

I think slightly heavier Olympic version or 355 version is worth the extra weight.

Stans rims are the best tubeless rim out there BTW. The tire rim interface is superior to UST. Other rims maybe stronger and stiffer but they don't hold a tire like the Stans rims.

Formerly of Kent
    I'd wait until the 2010 rims come out before buying a set. Whole new rim shapes and weights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ganginwood
    for 1000 bucks, i'd consider lacing them to a set of i9's. bombproof rims on magical engagement.....tough to beat.

i run the 355's and flow rims on both sleds with i9's and never have any issues. one hub is an xc hub and the other is enduro. honestly...the enduro hubs on the flow rim is a more versatile set-up. the 355 is just mediocre with tire width and psi selection. it stays on my hardtail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Heavy

I weigh in the 170 range and managed to dent my rear ZTR Race pretty quickly. I am now running a ZTR Race on the front, and a 355 in the rear. It has worked great.

The key with the lighter Stans rims (light 355 29"/ ZTR race 29"/ZTRRace 26") is run them with a wider flanged hub like the AC. The DT240's I typically run work fine on the 26" wheels and the heavier 29" rims (flow/arch), but as LMN said above, you need to be good with a spoke wrench, as the uneven tension really makes it hard on the larger diameter rim.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Sounds like if you can afford them the EDGE composite 29er rims are pretty amazing too. Very light and very tough.

I may be interested in some lighter wheels if I end up racing more. At 200+ lbs buck nekid though I think I may stick with the stock 1700+ gram wheels coming on my new bike. We'll see.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So is there a UST or tubeless 29er (622 erto) rim out there that can take say 120 psi for a 1 inch tire...and has v-brake sidewalls????

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    So is there a UST or tubeless 29er (622 erto) rim out there that can take say 120 psi for a 1 inch tire...and has v-brake sidewalls????
    Why in the world would you run 120psi in a 25mm tire?

Shimano makes a road tubeless wheelset, but it's laced to a 100/130mm, non-disc hubset.

Same with Fulcrum, I believe.

Rims are not available for purchase.

But, again...why would you want to run 120psi, tubeless, in a 25mm tire?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Why in the world would you run 120psi in a 25mm tire?

Shimano makes a road tubeless wheelset, but it's laced to a 100/130mm, non-disc hubset.

Same with Fulcrum, I believe.

Rims are not available for purchase.

But, again...why would you want to run 120psi, tubeless, in a 25mm tire?
    That is a roadie tire they take about 120 psi...

Shimano sells a wheel set yes, it has cup and cone bearings though, we are looking for cartrigde bearings..

Bike is a CX bike for winter commuting, summer CX,

Want a disc front and V-brake rear, in tubeless, able to run pure road tires or up to say a 1.9 inch studded tire, with cartridge bearings.....

I'll check out fulcrum.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    That is a roadie tire they take about 120 psi...

Shimano sells a wheel set yes, it has cup and cone bearings though, we are looking for cartrigde bearings..

Bike is a CX bike for winter commuting, summer CX,

Want a disc front and V-brake rear, in tubeless, able to run pure road tires or up to say a 1.9 inch studded tire, with cartridge bearings.....

I'll check out fulcrum.
    Uh, yeah, I know all about them. I'm a Cat1 roadie.

And I've never run 120psi on anything but the track. I ride my 24mm tubulars at 95psi, out on the roads. I'd imagine tubeless road tires would be best between 80 and 90psi, depending on rider weight. Tubeless CX tires, well below that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Uh, yeah, I know all about them. I'm a Cat1 roadie.

And I've never run 120psi on anything but the track. I ride my 24mm tubulars at 95psi, out on the roads. I'd imagine tubeless road tires would be best between 80 and 90psi, depending on rider weight. Tubeless CX tires, well below that.

Good for you you must be **** hot...

I run 1.3 inch conti's at 85 psi max inflation, on the trails....

XTR will only take 55 psi at 1 inch a little low for most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Depending on how much you weigh, you might want to take a look at the Mavic 29er wheelset. Despite what a lot of folks say, a true UST interface is the most secure tire/rim interface out there. Mavic wheels are also extremely stiff - no power-robbing flex! - and they are reliable, no worries about constant truing. They work for us on Team Luna Chix - local races, national races, world cups, Olympics! I'm a fan.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

ganginwood
    yeah but the hubs have some of the worst engagement on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison Dunlap Coaching
    Despite what a lot of folks say, a true UST interface is the most secure tire/rim interface out there.
    sorry, but the ZTR RACE rims hold a tire bead WAY better than a UST wheel, not even close and the hubs are nothing but trouble. each there own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The hub engagement system on Mavic hubs is changing in the near future. This has indeed been one of the lesser points of the Mavic platform, but no longer...
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Weight VS Bombproof. That is a balancing act and you need to factor in ride style, rider weight, terrain, etc. I have been running the ZTR355/WTB Laser Disc combo and they have been pretty good, but I totally pringled the rear one in a very rocky course a few weeks ago and the front has some serious waves too. Had I known the terrain, I would have raced with my heaver Bontrager TLR wheelset. I was able to ride out with the ZTR 355 rims, but I am sure the Stan's Race wheelset would have been totalled.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Formerly of Kent
    The hub engagement system on Mavic hubs is changing in the near future. This has indeed been one of the lesser points of the Mavic platform, but no longer...
    The Mavic 2010 literature I went through at lunch did not indicate that there were any changes between the 2009 and 2010 wheels.

Same weight, same rim, same hubs and spokes.

mtbr member
    Depending on how much you weigh, you might want to take a look at the Mavic 29er wheelset. Despite what a lot of folks say, a true UST interface is the most secure tire/rim interface out there. Mavic wheels are also extremely stiff - no power-robbing flex! - and they are reliable, no worries about constant truing. They work for us on Team Luna Chix - local races, national races, world cups, Olympics! I'm a fan.
    this is a load of crap. and given you are sponsored by Mavic your opinion is hardly going to be impartial.