Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

29 dual suspension for racing

Hi, i think i will be moving to a dual suspension 29er, next year. There are quite o few of them out there, can anyone reccomend anything. It needs to be a good climber as there are lots of mountains in my region.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ibis ripley looks good. Problem is it may not be available in time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Specialized Epic comes to mind, as does a Niner Jet 9 RDO, Cannondale Scalpel, or Santa Cruz Tallboy. Take your pick! I'd go with the Epic personally, as the Brain is an amazing piece of technology.

mtbr member
    Specialized Epic, Cannondale Scalpel. I'm sure Giant will have something nice for 2012. Santa Cruz is a very popular trail bike around here (southern Ontario) and a lot of racers ride the Epic.

mtbr member
    ripley does look good (any ideas on price?) as does the new jet 9, i'd prefer a lightweight aluminium frame, maybe the old jet 9 or Giant. I tried an epic a few months ago, great ride but weighed a ton compared to my HT

DynoDon
    Epic 29er', mine climbs like a mountain goat, the Epic comp 29er starts at around 28 pounds, I've got mine down to 25 1/2 pound, depends on budget, you can get them down to 22 pounds if you buy a S-Works bike, the more you spend on Epic models the lighter they get, even at 28 pounds its a great bike. Changes on mine are, Roval carbon wheels (1400 grams), S-works carbon bars, Crank Bros carbon seatpost, 2/10 w/XO cassette, Rocket Rons.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Epic 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got a 2011 Trek Superfly 100 Elite; stock components, XTR pedals, and tubeless is 25.0lb in size L.

The 2012 Superfly 100 Pro looks even nicer...

mtbr member
    anthem x 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not to be a hater, but I'd be nervous getting a Trek. I race against a guy that's on his 3rd Trek Superfly elite frame. He works at a bike shop too. Only reason he's still riding it is because he's been able to keep getting warrentied frames, and, as a Trek employee, doesn't have much other choice for a 29er FS. First one broke at the dropouts, second one his drive side chainstay snapped just riding some rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbgage View Post
    I tried an epic a few months ago, great ride but weighed a ton compared to my HT
    I hate to point out the obvious, but any FS should weight more than a decently specced HT...

And if you want an alloy bike, I would go for the Epic. Bloody brilliant ride. And that brain...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Epic 29er, absolutely awesome bike. Got my expert to 23lbs even ready to ride. Smoken

DFH

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Not to be a hater, but I'd be nervous getting a Trek. I race against a guy that's on his 3rd Trek Superfly elite frame. He works at a bike shop too. Only reason he's still riding it is because he's been able to keep getting warrentied frames, and, as a Trek employee, doesn't have much other choice for a 29er FS. First one broke at the dropouts, second one his drive side chainstay snapped just riding some rocks.
    Love my Superfly, have had zero issues and by far the fastest FS rig I have had to date.

mtbr member
    Intense Spider 29er - VPP Goodness, and made in USA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29 dual suspension for racing-spider%252029%2520red.jpg  

mtbr member
    nothing like a picture to get the blood boiling, spider looks real nice... I'm keeping an eye on the new moots mx divide, titanium is a great material, but it might be out of my price range.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/...sion-MTB01.jpg

nOOb
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kherron View Post
    I've got a 2011 Trek Superfly 100 Elite; stock components, XTR pedals, and tubeless is 25.0lb in size L.

The 2012 Superfly 100 Pro looks even nicer...
    I did my first race on my 2012 Superfly 100 Elite last Saturday. It weighs 26.2 stock w/o pedals. The bike was really great, I'll probably never race a hardtail again.
    The bike is never the limiting factor imho in any race, its the rider first and tire choice second ahead of any 2 lb weight reduction in the whole bike methinks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbgage View Post
    nothing like a picture to get the blood boiling, spider looks real nice... I'm keeping an eye on the new moots mx divide, titanium is a great material, but it might be out of my price range.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/...sion-MTB01.jpg
    Looks cool, but Moots already makes a 29er 4" travel single pivot bike called the Mooto XZ. What were they trying to accomplish with this new one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Intense Spider 29er - VPP Goodness, and made in USA.
    That red Spider frame looks drool-worthy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    That red Spider frame looks drool-worthy.
    Yep! They call it "Works Red" which is a red tinted clear coat over their raw aluminum, I think. Definitely a beautiful finish.

mnoutain bkie rdier

My suggestion:

Considering that you made the request that it needs to be a good climber, then:

Hardtail carbon 29er frame

Large volume tubeless tires

You may be surprised at how well this set up does. I am not sure how "extreme" the terrain is where you live, but I would look into this at the very least.

The set up will be simpler, lighter, and most likely a better climber imo..

Plus, you might save a few $$

I have done both. IMO, a full susp 29er is complete overkill (especially for racing) where I live in S. Cal..

mtbr member
    I love my Anthem 29er.

Climbs good enough to race in the XC scene (the real question is, are YOU good enough ). While keeping up easily on decents with my friends on 6 inch travel bikes, on the weekends.

This bike is incredible!!
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

It's the axle
    It seems like this is the right place to ask this-

Are 29 inch wheels not enough added inertia to exclude them from being realistic in racing? I've shied away from 29 because of what amounts to over 9 inches of extra rim and tire. That's a hell of a lot of weight, is it not?

Caution- the answer to this may or may not bring me into the 29er arena. I'm drooling over the Ibis Ripley, but waiting until it's a 26 version.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    It seems like this is the right place to ask this-

Are 29 inch wheels not enough added inertia to exclude them from being realistic in racing? I've shied away from 29 because of what amounts to over 9 inches of extra rim and tire. That's a hell of a lot of weight, is it not?

Caution- the answer to this may or may not bring me into the 29er arena. I'm drooling over the Ibis Ripley, but waiting until it's a 26 version.
    The only fair response to this is give one a try.

The added mass can be minimised with a good light weight tyre and tubeless setup on a good wheelset.

Sure, it might accelerate slightly slower (personally, I cannot really tell and those that do claim it - people I know who ride them - I suspect are slightly full of ****), however they hold their speed far better.

Honestly, if you are thinking of it, try one and form your own opinion.

As for too heavy - the world's were won by Kulhavy on a 29er Epic. On which he raced all season. And won a lot.

It's the axle
    That's probably the best way. But I am asking here because I have trust in the people who post on this part of the forum. And there's no way I'm going to get to ride a 29er where I live.

I'm riding a lot of difficult climbing where I live. 15-20% death climbs. Any added effort would make these less enjoyable than they already are.

I did race against some Team Scalpels a year ago. Same climbs I do on my daily ride. And they took 15 minutes out of me in 15 miles. But then they're pros.

I like the idea of big wheels. But I have always been in the front of the light weight wheel advocates. That's rotating mass, not just regular weight off the bike.

Anyways...speaking of riding. It's the hottest day of the year here. 71 degrees! Time for a ride.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Fair enough. Might pay to have a look in the 29er forum then. I believe that there was a thread there dedicated to the climbing ability of 29ers.

Enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast