mtbr member
    Dec 2013

26er FS vs 29er HT for NICA Racing?

Hey guys, let me explain my situation here.
    I currently have a 26er 2011 Trek Fuel EX5, almost completely custom. Its got:
    SRAM X0 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X0 Shifters
    SRAM S800 3x9 Crank
    SRAM XG999 10-34T 9 Speed Cassette
    Spinergy Carbon Laced Wheelset
    RaceFace Carbon Next Handlebars
    Avid Juicy 3 Brakes
    RockShox Recon Silver TK Fork
    Fox RP2 Rear Shock
    Crank Brothers Joplin 4 Dropper Post
    Some Bontrager Seat (the name slipped my mind, nothing special though)
    Stock Bontrager Stem
    Schwalbe Hans Dempf 26x2.35 Tubeless Tire
    Forte Pisgah 2.3 tubed tire (just popped my 2.3 Nobby Nic and this was ALL I had in my garage
    Stock Shimano Alivio front derailleur

I believe thats it for my bike. I bought this bike used on Craigslist.

I owned the bike for less than a month, and boom broke my collarbone. Doctor doesnt know how hard I can go on it for a while so I cant do much. I race XC for my high school and this is my first year doing that so I have no idea how I'm going to do. However, in racing for the league, I got a sponsorship from Cannondale. Now that I might not be able to go hard on this bike, would it be smart to sell it and buy a F29 4 2014?

I love everything about the bike, I am just scared about the bike for some reason. I am really fond of lightweight bikes so thats a plus. I have never heard anything bad about them. Im scared that it cant take a beating. I am not a big rider AT ALL. 5'5 125 pounds. But I do like to trail ride on the weekends, and that does include getting a little air. Could the bike handle that? Thats probably a stupid question, I know, I just have to be sure about this bike. Thats one option. I could also sell majority of the upgrades and go Shimano XT 2x10 and try and get the Fuel sub 27 pounds. Doubt thatll happen. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks

mtbr member

For an XC bike I'd choose the Cannondale F29 4 in preference to your 2011 Trek Fuel EX5.

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/931/

Either that or for a cheaper option something like the Motobecane Fly Pro that Poncharelli recommended. That looks like a good bike too.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._3x10_xiii.htm

Help with multiple things!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=WR304;10903765]For an XC bike I'd choose the Cannondale F29 4 in preference to your 2011 Trek Fuel EX5.

F29 4 - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2014

Either that or for a cheaper option something like the Motobecane Fly Pro that Poncharelli recommended. That looks like a good bike too.

Shimano DynaSys 3x10 30 Speed, Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fly Pro

Can I trust that website? Also, why is that bike so cheap? Is the F29 able to take some air and abuse? I wont be too harsh, but I dont like having limits. Of course Im not going to fly over a 20 foot jump, but Im not going to want to stop and go around a jump thats not going to give me more than a couple feet of air. Hope that made sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Although $1000 out of my price range, would the Scalpel 3 be the right bike for me in this scenario?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Save your money. The Trek will serve you just fine for racing. Upgrading bikes is fun and when you are older and have more money you will do it all the time. But for now race what you got. The bike will not determine your success.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How badly will 26 vs 29 affect me?

Im not spending money. I bought everything listed above used at 1400$. I have someone who will pay at least 2000, and my discount gives me the f29 4 for 2000$. So Im not spending anything.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have spent more than a little time testing 26 vs 27.5 vs 29 and can tell that wheel size makes little to no difference.

You should be asking about dually vs. hardtail. My only reservations about your current bike is it was designed as more of a trail bike. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. On the fuel you will probably learn to descend quicker. Where as on the c-dale you will have a bike that climbs well but doesn't necessarily inspire you to descend quickly.

You can develop power on any bike but not all bikes make it easy to learn to descend quickly.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So I have options:
    Keep the bike, I have a buyer for most of the components and I can just go to XT 2x10, carbon seatpost, fizik saddle, carbon bars, new stem, maybe new forks, smaller tires. Maybe thatll drop a good amount of weight. My problem is climbing.

Sell the bike for 2000-2300$ and buy a F29 4 or 5. I dont think Ill have a problem descending. I hope not at least. I have control, and I ride XC and trails so I mean its all very limited descents.

mtbr member

The reason that Motobecane is so cheap is because it's a generic aluminum frame sold direct by mail order, rather than through a bike shop, cutting out a few steps in the retail chain who would otherwise need some markup added on. It's delivered to your door part assembled and then you put it together yourself.

Riding a generic bike has some advantages. Race hard, scratch the frame, crash it with no concerns. After a few seasons you move on to the next one. It's a tool that you're not sentimental about. If you're still growing it's likely you'll need a larger frame size in a few years too.

When it comes to full suspension or hardtail the main point I'd make is that the hardtail doesn't put you at a disadvantage compared to your competition. It will get the job done effectively, being lighter, more nimble and pedalling better than an equivalent price full suspension bike. Pedal and the hardtail bike goes. Pedal harder and the hardtail bike goes faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Save your money. The Trek will serve you just fine for racing. Upgrading bikes is fun and when you are older and have more money you will do it all the time. But for now race what you got. The bike will not determine your success.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

Don't get caught up in the equipment. If there's $2000 of real "not your money" spend part of the money on a sponsor banner and getting the word out on the sponsor. It's a good life lesson about returning favors/gratitude.

You probably have enough people blathering on about "life lessons." But, this is a good one. Getting the honest word out about the sponsor, and showing gratitude does remarkable things.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey! I'm racing Socal NICA this year.

Which division are you racing in? Fresh, soph, JV, Varsity?

The trails that NICA chooses for races don't really fit a Trail type bike. I cant remember anywhere during a race when I thought I really needed a dual suspension trail bike.
    Also, 27 pounds isn't horrible, but you might feel it on the climbs as NICA races are more XC oriented.

Those BikeDirect Bikes are good for the money, and you will benefit from them.
    But if you're confident on your climbing skills on your Trek, go for it.

As for the 26vs29 issue, try out 27.5, but it honestly really doesn't matter. The wheel size wont make you faster.

Cheers, hope to see you out there this year.
    (づ ̄  ̄)づ