Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Appalachian Highlander

26" Race Hardtail????

Does anybody still make such a thing?

The best options I can find are the Cannondale Flash 3, the Marin Indian Fire Trail, and the Jamis Dakota DXC Race.

None of these are exactly top shelf-- I'd like to find an off the shelf XTR or X.0 or XX bike.

mtbr member
    Trek still makes a 26" race bike. It's decked out with XTR and what not

Elite 9.9 SSL - Trek Bicycle

Appalachian Highlander
    Sweet! Thanks!

I'm glad somebody is still making them. Surely they're not the only ones......
    Last edited by Xizang11; 06-17-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Primative Screwhead
    Orbea.

Scott.

Canyon.

BH.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

Run With The Wind
    You donít know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    OP: Really? Surely every manufacturer makes a top end version of their bike? Have a look at the Cannondale Flash 1 or Ultimate. Complete bike is probably 18/19lbs...Plenty of trick componentry on there (btw: the Hollowgram crankset is a step up from XX/XTR).... Availability, of course, is another matter - the high end stuff seems to come in at strange times of year and sells out quickly.

Cannondale, Flash Carbon Ultimate 2012 Mountain Bike from only £5,499.99. Free UK Delivery | Wheelies

g3h6o3
    I race a custom build Xprezo T4
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Opus Fhast 1

Norco Team 6 LE

Among others. We have a Team 6 LE in for service at the shop right now, I can take it out for a good test ride if you want some impressions on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cannondale Flash

I have been lusting after a flash as well. Cannondale does not list a high end flash in a 26 inch wheel on thier website. The Link you provided is in the UK so I am not sure what avalibility is like in the US. The 26 inch hartail is getting a bit hard to find but there are options.

OP just curious what your reasons are for wanting a 26?
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Fat-tired Roadie
    One of my teammates picked up a Giant XTC in 26" recently. He had to do a little finagling, but they still make 'em for international markets.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Scott still make high end 26" bikes.

or the Cannondale Flash if it's available in your country. We can't get them in Canada.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I have been lusting after a flash as well. Cannondale does not list a high end flash in a 26 inch wheel on thier website. The Link you provided is in the UK so I am not sure what avalibility is like in the US. The 26 inch hartail is getting a bit hard to find but there are options.
    Seriously, has the 29er taking over that much in the US? I'm in the UK and whilst you see 29ers at races and a few friends have them you still don't see many in the shops.

mtbr member
    Yes, all the high end stuff is 29ers. Next year there will be a 650B explosion in North America.

Fat-tired Roadie
    No! Not another wheel size!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Specialized

High end top dollar. SRAM XX all around.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Aluminum version

Specialized Bicycle Components

While I realize that marketing is pushing 29er harder than ever, is it really that hard to find a 26" HT?

Appalachian Highlander
    I'm not against 29ers. I've test ridden several. I'd like to test a 26er too. If that's alright. I mean, I know some folks on MTBR feel like if you ride a 26 inch bike you're like a anti-29er racist. I'm just trying to find the right bike for me, and with 29ers all over the place, I don't need any help finding them.

I did find that Specialized after posting last night. Many of the other brands mentioned don't have dealers in my area....and I do try to be loyal to my local shops.

Thanks to all of you who have been helpful. Sorry it offends some people that I might like to try bikes of more than one wheel size.

mtbr member
    That cannondale is wicked, but furious freds on the front and back???

Give yeti a shot? They only have 2 29'ers in their whole line of bikes.
    Yeti Cycles / Home

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizang11 View Post
    Does anybody still make such a thing?

The best options I can find are the Cannondale Flash 3, the Marin Indian Fire Trail, and the Jamis Dakota DXC Race.

None of these are exactly top shelf-- I'd like to find an off the shelf XTR or X.0 or XX bike.
    If you have the cash for an off the shelf XTR spec'd bike, why don't you consider a custom build?
    Get it unlocked.

Appalachian Highlander
    Estabro--That's exactly what I had decided. I was looking at a several custom builders.

Then I saw Drelyt's post-- That ARC Pro looks like a killer deal! Geometry is pretty much spot on for what I'm looking for.

So right now the ARC Pro is my baseline. I'm still looking at some custom builders.

Thanks for all your help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Xizang check out Form Cycles for some nice steel or titanium bikes. Otherwise the Yeti ARC is a nice looking bike as you noted above.

Don't apologize for wanting a 26" hardtail. A light responsive 26" HT is a lot of fun to ride.

Good luck!!

Michigan Wolverine
    On One has the carbon Whippet and aluminum Scandal that fall under this category as well.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by OLx6 View Post
    Xizang check out Form Cycles for some nice steel or titanium bikes. Otherwise the Yeti ARC is a nice looking bike as you noted above.

Don't apologize for wanting a 26" hardtail. A light responsive 26" HT is a lot of fun to ride.

Good luck!!
    Exactly, there is nothing wrong with a 26in hardtail. I must say however that at last weekend's canadian championships I was amazed about the amount on 29ers on course. It was more than half the riders on big wheels, it blew me away. The course was rough however, that probably suited 29ers well but most the competitors don't have a fleet of bikes I suppose. The 29ers seem to be getting mainstream in racing, who would have told a couple of years ago?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I thought the 26 hardtail in racing was dead. I hated that article. I thought 650b was the new go to wheel size. Did I miss a memo? 26er?

29er, 26, 650b bla bla bla, at the end of the day it's the guy sitting on the bike. You could put one of my teammates on a 20 inch wheeled bike and he would still ride me into the ground. It's all about the engine and the time people have invested in their training. I had a guy last year pass me on a mid 90's Jamis dragon during a race. On the right course I think a 26 hardtail would be almost unbeatable and that's coming from someone who rides a 29er. If the course is tight, smooth, and a place where you will be constantly accelerating out of slow tight corners then it would be very hard for me to keep up on my big wheels. They would actually be working against me in those conditions.

I think the Yeti would be a fantastic bike. I love the flickability of a very light 26 inch bike.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Specialized is pretty nice for sure. My wife raced one last season and really liked it. She's on the 29er this year. I'm fairly certain they have those in stock as well. I know they have the 26" Epic S-works in stock for most sizes.

Two seasons back she raced a Yeti ARC and liked that bike as well. One of the few companies still making a true size small hard tail. It will be a bit heavier than a carbon build, but the Yeti is a classic. Her bike setup 1x10 was still under 19lbs (with pedals).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizang11 View Post
    Estabro--That's exactly what I had decided. I was looking at a several custom builders.

Then I saw Drelyt's post-- That ARC Pro looks like a killer deal! Geometry is pretty much spot on for what I'm looking for.

So right now the ARC Pro is my baseline. I'm still looking at some custom builders.

Thanks for all your help.
    I race on a Yeti ARC with full X0 / 1x10 - needless to say the geo is awesome for racing, but the frame is very flexy I find (195lbs). I always feel like I am losing power through flex. However the bike does feel GREAT as long as you are not standing on the pedals with all your might - and the increased rear vertical compliance really smooths out the ride for aluminum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast