mtbr member
    Nov 2012

24hrs of Rocky Hill Ranch....firstimer, what do I need to know/bring?

I will be doing my first 24hr race with a friend as a two man team. Other than the obvious food/drinks bike/clothing and lights what else do I need or would I wish I had brought to make this a little more enjoyable? The laps look like they should take about an hour...is there anything btw laps I need to be doing or not doing? As far as tires go I have a choice of 2.25 Rocket Ron front with small block 8 rear or kenda nevregal front and either of the previous tires rear....any suggestions for that trail? Knee pads and elbow pads at night for safety? Sorry for all the questions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not sure about the 24 hour stuff, but I can help with the trail as I ride it fairly often. It's easy with some climbing - very few technical features (a few steep downs/ups - 0 ledges or rocky technical features. There will be some roots). I've never raced in pads there, and I don't think you'll want to wear them all night.

Don't go with the Nevegal - way more than you need. I'd suggest light tires like the RR front/SB8 rear (though the SB8 might be a bit slippery if we don't get rain before the race - it's very dry). I usually run Ignitor/Crossmark combo with no issues and my wife runs Crossmark front and rear. Racing Ralphs will probably work well too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OK thanks for the suggestions on tires. May need to buy something else for the rear and try both since I will have plenty of time to experiment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    this is what I will be riding...thinking I may want to drop the front fork from 120 to 100 for this one

phillipstanley7223@gmail.com, on Flickr">photo 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    this is what I will be riding...thinking I may want to drop the front fork from 120 to 100 for this one

phillipstanley7223@gmail.com, on Flickr">photo 1
    I have raced that course and event the last 2 years. It's a great race put on by some of the best organizers around.

I would suggest getting out there and getting some laps in, dial in your bike, your fit, and your mindset to the course. The course doesn't offer a huge amount of vert gain however after a few hrs you'll respect the constant pounding from all of the chop by that course. Regardless It is a great event that is why I have signed up for it again this year

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I will be doing my first 24hr race with a friend as a two man team. Other than the obvious food/drinks bike/clothing and lights what else do I need or would I wish I had brought to make this a little more enjoyable? The laps look like they should take about an hour...is there anything btw laps I need to be doing or not doing? As far as tires go I have a choice of 2.25 Rocket Ron front with small block 8 rear or kenda nevregal front and either of the previous tires rear....any suggestions for that trail? Knee pads and elbow pads at night for safety? Sorry for all the questions.
    You will surely die from exposure. Or wild hogs. Come to think of it, probably the wild hogs. They come out at night. .. mostly. ..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I can't imagine the wild hogs being any worse than here in east texas lol. Looking forward to testing myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    In all seriousness, that bike will suit you fine. Leave the fork at 120, it will give you a more inclined posture which will make a lot of laps more comfortable in the long haul. I also typically run Ignitor/Crossmark combo and it has worked splendidly, except when the course was pure slop back in February for the TMBRA race:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That looks like a sloppy mess. I have only rode the trail once back in December of last year for Fat Chucks and it was messy and wet at that time as well. I guess weather will dictate my tire choice. May get another meaty tire to pair with the Nevregal for any slop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've raced on the course a few times, including several 24's as a Soloist, it's an easy and fun course. The abuse tends to add up over time, especially if you are hammering for the podium, so tire PSI is something you should take the time to dial in.

On tire choice, anything that is providing a fast rolling center will work well, some decent side knobs are important if you move into and out of berms and corners aggressively.

Like santabooze said, the event is excellent as the race directors have it dialled and they are some of the nicest people you will meet. It's so good that a handful of us are flying down from Canada (again) to race the event.

See you there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coopers98 View Post
    In all seriousness, that bike will suit you fine. Leave the fork at 120, it will give you a more inclined posture which will make a lot of laps more comfortable in the long haul. I also typically run Ignitor/Crossmark combo and it has worked splendidly, except when the course was pure slop back in February for the TMBRA race:
    That was a race I was glad I was on an SS so I didn't have worry about breaking any derailleurs. The cat 3s got the worst of it - the back part of the course wasn't too bad, as it drains/drys better. You'll find that if it rains, the front mile and last mile will be the worst.