Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Where's the video of nino's retro bike? I'd like to see that.

The thing I took away from both mens and womens XCC was how UN-tired Annika and Nino were when done compared to MVDP and the others.

Annika walked around like it was a training ride, Nino sat next to MVDP and looked way more cool than the winner. MVDP dug DEEP on those climbs. It worked and was awesome to ride.

Annika will kill them Sunday, pretty sure of that, but MVDP went so deep I don't think he'll last for the full XCO. Nino realized quickly I think that he should just take it easy and be happy with 2nd place.

I agree with the other post above - I'm still not sure this whole friday XCC race makes any sense. Having it after the main XCO like it used to be in the US, and say, 30% of points, maybe. Just for an extra thing. But then everyone would just go home.

I'd rather have seen one or two more regular old XCO races added then the XCC. It messes things up too much I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Im sure the vid for Ninos bike can be found elsewhere, but hereís where I found it: https://mobile.twitter.com/bikeonsco...007873/video/1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Im sure the vid for Ninos bike can be found elsewhere, but hereís where I found it: https://mobile.twitter.com/bikeonsco...007873/video/1
    Thatís a good lookin bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Thatís the reason I quit racing on the road. After a bunch of close calls, death threats and other confrontations, I got smoked by a Caddy SUV going 55mph while on leave.

I still own a road bike, but itís hanging by the rear triangle in my garage, with the wheels on an old HT frame for gravel use. It will probably be converted to single speed use so my wife can commute on it. If/when I get another, it will have room for 30mm+ tires to get some light gravel action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you are going to send your wife off to the gallows instead?!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    MVDP is king of the short track! In this type of racing he makes the men look like boys. What happened to Gaze? Saving it for Sunday?

Annika probably has never ever been in better shape. She dragged Courtney around South Africa in the Cape Epic stage race which they easily won. Will she start fading the next few races?

Yolanda is Ms. Polyanna. Great interview with her before and after the race.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    Wow, I can't argue against these arguments. Dutch truly are a "bunch of commuters". I thought you were trying to bypass your ignorant statement on "not the stiffest competition" but you really are really, fully behind it.
    Ya, commit or go home! (wink)

Formerly of Kent
    Glad to see an XCC course that favors attackers and aggressive racing. MvdP and Annika were worthy winners. It looked to me like Nino either hit a wall or decided to cut his losses and race for second during lap 8. Something I've never seen him do before.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Glad to see an XCC course that favors attackers and aggressive racing. MvdP and Annika were worthy winners. It looked to me like Nino either hit a wall or decided to cut his losses and race for second during lap 8. Something I've never seen him do before.
    I think it was exactly as he said it in the post interview. He rather take second and try to recover for Sunday, as opposed to try to catch MVDP and risk not being 100% on Sunday.

Either way, even going all out I'm not sure he would be able to catch MVDP. He also seemed to be at his limit, so probably even if he wanted he wouldn't be able to do much.

Annika is in good form, yesterday she even looked leaner than in other WC's, I think she will be unbeatable on Sunday.

Sneaker man
    No good for the carnage in the womens.
    All the gear and no idea.

Sneaker man
    Well that was a cracker of a race for the womens.

mtbr member
    Great mens race, especially the last 2 laps. Captain Shurter really proved his mettle today by staying calm and timing the winning move perfectly. Gerhard was super impressive, those Italians would have went nuts had he pulled it off. Van der Poel looked absolutely pissed on the podium.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Too bad for Annika. Word is nothing broken but sometimes with sprains and ligament damage it takes a while to recover. I doubt she races next weekend. Yolanda is points leader now.

MVDP needs to lighten up. He did a fine race today but again it appears that a 1.5 hour XC race against the best might be too much for him. Next weekend's course does him no favors either. The rest of the riders would be doing backflips if they were second in the standings.

How many more efforts like that does Nino have in him??

chasing simplicity

2018 XC World Cup Thread

^ Five, to beat Absalonís record WC wins. (Four gets him a tie.)
    Last edited by MattMay; 1 Week Ago at 07:51 AM.
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    ^ Five, to beat Absolonís record WC wins. (Four gets him a tie.)
    Two years ago or so, that record looked almost unreachable, no it looks very close...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bananajoe View Post
    Two years ago or so, that record looked almost unreachable, no it looks very close...
    Guessing his targets now are to surpass or match Absalon in the stats. This means the number of WC victories and a second olympic gold medal at Tokyo.

Judging by his current form and consistency, odds are he will do the first one - he still seems to have a small edge over the rest of the field this year. Curious to see how he fares over the next couple of years/seasons, and how he will approach them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Well that was a cracker of a race for the womens.
    Loved watching Batty. That's the strongest I've seen her in a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    Loved watching Batty. That's the strongest I've seen her in a long time.
    Absolutely! She looked strong and gave everything to get 2nd, beating Neff & PFP ain't easy. Hope she gets that first WC win next week in Andorra. I wonder how much team tactics came into play there, kinda looked like Neff let a gap open up intentionally there on the 2nd to last lap?
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Absolutely! She looked strong and gave everything to get 2nd, beating Neff & PFP ain't easy. Hope she gets that first WC win next week in Andorra. I wonder how much team tactics came into play there, kinda looked like Neff let a gap open up intentionally there on the 2nd to last lap?
    Watch out for Belamonia next weekend. She killed them last year on the course.

MVDP dropped out last year. Not a good course for him. Altitude and a lot of climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    If not next week, Emily would love to win in Mount Sainte-Anne!

Yeah, it seemed to me to that Jolanda allowed Maja to go. And that forced Pauline to work very hard! Emily too, but she played it well.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by AztecRider View Post
    If not next week, Emily would love to win in Mount Sainte-Anne!

Yeah, it seemed to me to that Jolanda allowed Maja to go. And that forced Pauline to work very hard! Emily too, but she played it well.
    Smart racing as a team. One person is caught and the other one goes while everyone that had to chase is still hurting.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Emily had a great race. Got in the front pack and stayed there out of site until the end. Neff is clearly the strongest technically as it was fun to see her hit step up jump and pull away on the downhill. To bad she cracked on that last lap. Emily rode smart and took advantage where she could. Sometimes all you need is to hang around long enough and be there to make a move. Maja gambled and it paid off. I bet she expected Neff to bring her back, but I never happened. Who knows how it would have played out with Langvad in the the mix. Tauber did well considering getting slowed in the crash.

As for the short track. I really like this course. Not at all like road race, but really short fast Mtb race. Some tough climbs, tight turns and enough techy descents to make you think a little. Good for the show.

And watching the mens and womens races I find the women's more interesting. I think it because with the women you can see how hard the course it. You can see when they struggle up the really steep bits. The top men make it look so easy that you think you can do that. Watching the women knowing they will ride past you like you standing still and still seeing them work so hard tells you how tough these riders are.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The women's races are always awesome. I find myself looking forward to them way more then the Men's races now. Especially when Gunn Rita is still up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I ended up starting to watch the women's race after the end of the 2nd lap, what happened to Van der Breggen? Was she caught up in that first lap crash?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cal_len1 View Post
    I ended up starting to watch the women's race after the end of the 2nd lap, what happened to Van der Breggen? Was she caught up in that first lap crash?
    No, she was not caught up in that crash. She finished 30th, if I recall correctly during the race she went as close as 22th behind Anne Tauber, apparently soon after that she lost some positions to finally end in 30th, not a bad race for being the first one though.

I actually expected more from her as this is a mellow track, the coming ones are way more difficult for a roadie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for that, based on this track I expected her to be faster based on pure fitness alone. Oh well, it seemed like she was getting bored in WWT, so hopefully she ups the skills and comes back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was surprised by the amount of big numbered plates finishing in the top 15ish of the men's race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i know.. weird observation... but Yolanda trackside watching the mens race in her kit... i was always taught when i first riding (Alan of Jenson Bikes!)... get OUT of yr riding shorts immediately... avoid saddle sores! ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frank6262 View Post
    i know.. weird observation... but Yolanda trackside watching the mens race in her kit... i was always taught when i first riding (Alan of Jenson Bikes!)... get OUT of yr riding shorts immediately... avoid saddle sores! ?
    She probably showered, changed, put on makeup and a fresh kit for pictures, especially if she was on podium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    of course yea duh.. thats got be what she did.. plus probably enough time btwn womens and mens races.. strike my lame question...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What I find odd is that she does that all the time and she is there by herself alone, I mean no fans making a crowd around her or asking for pictures. Perhaps because its Europe, but when top riders come to my country, there are hundreds of people waiting to have a chance at talking with a pro or asking for a picture or to sign them something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Annika posting on IG from Andorra that the wrist is feeling good, no issues on pre ride. Should be a good race from her then, let's see if Emily keeps up with PFP/Annika/Neff going hard early (I hope so). Emily looks hungry & strong, love to see her get her first WC win.
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

Rides all the bikes!
    I've never heard of that. Especially from something as short as an XCO race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I've never heard of that. Especially from something as short as an XCO race.
    I always change asap after a ride because it feels pretty skanky not to. I would think most pros would do the same to avoid any potential issues, an hour and a half is more than enough time to soak a chamois. To each his or her own of course.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If I can ride for 6hrs, I don't see why it would be a problem to ride for 2hrs and then stand around. Other than being stinky

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Power and VAM are nonsense. There are only 2 real training metrics for cyclists: 'shammy time' and Pop-Tart wrappers. Jolanda was clearly upping her shammy time game. As a result, she will be a force to be reckoned with come MSA.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Rob and Bart commented that Yolanda was wearing clean gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ( ive had a gnarly "saddle sore" once or twice...couldnt ride.

anyway... im excited to see how Howard Grotts will do...12th place right? top 10 Andorra? he's a climber!

Formerly of Kent
    ( ive had a gnarly "saddle sore" once or twice...couldnt ride.

anyway... im excited to see how Howard Grotts will do...12th place right? top 10 Andorra? he's a climber!
    Yeah, I was impressed with his result. Particularly given his relatively high plate number, lack of WC racing and recent focus on longer races.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Once I thought I was wrong but I was wrong! But now I think I am wrong. I am starting to dig the short track addition. One more day of race watching and you get to know the characters better plus the tracks seem to be getting better.
    MVDP said racing at altitude is not his thing. Well he better rethink dominating at XC racing then!
    Italian dude looks legit and Avancini looks in awesome shape now.
    Glad to see Annika back at it. I never thought she would be back this week or as strong.
    I think Neff is holding back and is going to peak for the end of the season and World Championship.

mtbr member
    Three observations.

Yolanda needs to try shifting to a higher gear climbing.

MVDP should cheer up.

This was a much better course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think Neff has ever held back anything!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    Three observations.

MVDP should cheer up.

I liked Val di Sole more. The rock garden gave it a more MTB feel. Although Andorra was good too. And there was way more spectators than the other races!

MVDP is only happy when he wins

mtbr member
    I have been indifferent on the Short Track leaning towards loving it since itís simply more racing to watch. Today however I love it as watching the condensed format even got my wife mentioning that maybe weíd get her a bike once weíre debt free. So for that I thank UCI and Red Bull.

Formerly of Kent
    The last two XCC courses have been good. The previous ones were uninspiring at best.

I like races and courses that favor attacking as opposed to drafting, though.

Death from Below.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    That seemed to really punish the flatter-landers

Sneaker man

Not that I have a clue on the realities of these things, it's like shes really fit, an incredible decender and while she can get up climbs fine...by spinning a high cadence, so when she's doing here own thing (out front with a gap) she fine, but when she's with others and the pace up, she only spins up, where as others mash a bigger gear for 10 strokes say and pull a big gap and she can't do that so she gets dumped.

But yeah, these courses are much better, the first 2 were lametastic, IIRC they seemed to be the old XCE courses, and were lame then. need some climbing, some techy decending and wham, it's fun times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Three observations.

MVDP should cheer up.

Yes it looks like Jolanda might want to do some low cadence/high power intervals in training to help her on some of the short, punchy climbs so she has another tool to use.

And, maybe a result of her crashing last week, Annika needs to work on her cornering skills. This short track race was a great way to watch all the top riders take certain sections and Annika looked really tentative cornering. With her power, she'd be unstoppable if she could corner like Jolanda.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Yes it looks like Jolanda might want to do some low cadence/high power intervals in training to help her on some of the short, punchy climbs so she has another tool to use.

And, maybe a result of her crashing last week, Annika needs to work on her cornering skills. This short track race was a great way to watch all the top riders take certain sections and Annika looked really tentative cornering. With her power, she'd be unstoppable if she could corner like Jolanda.
    No and no.

Why don't you call them up and tell them to get some new coaches! In fact I think you should offer to coach them.

I think Annika crashed last week in a group pile up. Nothing you can do about that. Happened to Nino in a short track race too.

Yolanda stated that she is trying to peak at Mt. Saint Ann (about a month away).

These ladies are one and two in the overall. I think the people behind them might need the coaching!

I am going with Belamonia in the XC race tomorrow.

I think Avancini and the Italian dude will push Shurter tomorrow.

The racers are starting to figure out the Short Track now. Going for the win burns a lot of matches and there are more points to be had on Sundays.

Does anyone know what the standings would be if the short track results were taken out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Results without shortrack would be roughly the same, Nino on top, followed by MVDP and Marrotte. Sam Gaze would be the one way down, but that is because of his inconsistency.

Imo, Jolanda's way of pedaling is fine, it is true she lacks some top end power, but that is just her genetics, training to improve it to a degree that it competes with naturals like Annika's is wasting too much effort. If anything she needs different racing tactics, so you don't leave it to that final attack or sprint.

I would like to see short track courses modified to elicit more attacks, create more choke points where the leader has the advantage leading out, that way more riders will be keen to attack on certain sections and create a gap. In these short tracks, courses should be designed to eliminate drafting advantage as much as possible.

For tomorrow's race I'm going with:

Men:
    Nino
    Tempier
    Marotte (the eternal third)

As for MVDP I think he will crack again or finish outside of top 10.

Women:

Maja or Anikka
    PFP
    Batty
    Belamoina
    Neff

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My rough calculation not including minor placings is XC only:

Shurter: 950
    Marotte: at least 470
    MVDP: 470
    Avancini: at least 380
    Vogel:at least 360

Nino is almost as dominant this year as last year and perhaps with the addition of short track perhaps even more so. Every other rider has had at least one stinker of a race but not Nino. And I think he is facing even tougher competition this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The correct spelling of their names is important; its Jolanda and Schurter. For me, it helps your argument if you spell their names correctly.

rider
    May 2016
    For all the talk about FS bikes on the descents, I'm not seeing a disadvantage to a hardtail on the descents at this level. At least not with the ladies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    The correct spelling of their names is important; its Jolanda and Schurter. For me, it helps your argument if you spell their names correctly.
    Don't stress about me butchering names. If my argument sucks so be it. If it just falls apart on spelling well then there are bigger problems.

I am going with Joelanda and Shirter.

And spell her name without looking and then try to pronounce it and you get the gold star!
    Maja Włoszczowska

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great win for Gunn Rita Dahle! It was her 30th WC win in her mid 40's. Very Impressive!

Also, I'm a big Nino fan but it was great to see someone else step up and take the win. MvdP impressed me as well by taking 3rd as I thought this would be a bad course for him but he had great legs today and paced himself well.

Coming to visit
    Jan 2010
    It's like the 'old' generation isn't ready to hand over just yet. Maja and Gunn-Rita back to back - 6 years and 3 years since their last wins. Incredible! I really thought Emily was finally going to climb on to that top step yesterday before she had her mechanical. But with the form GDR had... Emily's motivation will be huuuge for MSA! But I'm hoping Catharine will be back in the mix there. It'll be exciting, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Shocked by both races. No way I would have given Gunn Rita a chance at the win.
    Jolanda had a better race than I expected and extended her points lead. Annika had a good weekend in spite of the injury.

Not surprised by Gerhard Kerschbaumer winning but shocked that Van de Poel had a steady consistent race on this course. Good on him. Avancini had a great day too.

Fun racing to watch.

Then there is the Tour de France which had an epic day today.

How is my spelling today??

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKiwi View Post
    It's like the 'old' generation isn't ready to hand over just yet. Maja and Gunn-Rita back to back - 6 years and 3 years since their last wins. Incredible! I really thought Emily was finally going to climb on to that top step yesterday before she had her mechanical. But with the form GDR had... Emily's motivation will be huuuge for MSA! But I'm hoping Catharine will be back in the mix there. It'll be exciting, that's for sure.
    Rob and Bart are perhaps optimistic about Catharine racing MSA. She might be racing then but La Bresse is likely her return to competition.

I had picked Emily last night for win, but even without the mechanical I am not sure she would have had the legs to match the rather impressive Gunn-Rita. She will have a good shot at MSA but that is a course that both Jolanda and Gunn-Rita ride really well.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Rob and Bart are perhaps optimistic about Catharine racing MSA. She might be racing then but La Bresse is likely her return to competition.

I had picked Emily last night for win, but even without the mechanical I am not sure she would have had the legs to match the rather impressive Gunn-Rita. She will have a good shot at MSA but that is a course that both Jolanda and Gunn-Rita ride really well.
    OK... I'll be the jerk..... Lance was my hero for years. It crushed me to find out he was a cheater. As a result, call me cynical and a skeptic.

What kind of drug testing does UCI do for World Cup XC?

Gunne Rita???? Really? At altitude? 45 years old? Color me doubtful of a legal effort.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob300 View Post
    OK... I'll be the jerk..... Lance was my hero for years. It crushed me to find out he was a cheater. As a result, call me cynical and a skeptic.

Gunne Rita???? Really? At altitude? 45 years old? Color me doubtful of a legal effort.
    They test a lot. Catharine is typically tested 10-20 times a year.

Remember at her peak Gunn-rita would win 7 out of 8 races per season, and she would win by a lot. The best of all time can still win once in a while.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Anti-doping is the same for XC as it is for road, with the top Mtbkers on the same 60min window system as for roadies. It's a hell of a lot tougher than most sports.

To be honest it is Pretty unfair to cast doping aspertions ever, especially when even false rumours can be hard to shake sometimes.

ups and downs
    Hey LMN, after the rough start to Emily's season with finishes in the teens she posted on IG that her and Adam had tried something new in her training and it hadn't worked out and they needed to change. That change obviously worked, what do you suppose they had tried that didn't work? She's been good at the XCC and XCO in this current race stretch. Obviously the long stretch of altitude training has helped, and ought to help her at the Nats in Canmore. Is there something else more unusual they were trying?

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Remember at her peak Gunn-rita would win 7 out of 8 races per season, and she would win by a lot. The best of all time can still win once in a while.
    I was hoping you'd chime in, as you're as close to this as anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by insidertrading View Post
    To be honest it is Pretty unfair to cast doping aspertions ever, especially when even false rumours can be hard to shake sometimes.
    You're correct. Ask Mr. Froome. We'll see how that turns out.... in re-reading my post, it comes pretty close to an accusation, and that was not my intent. Poor wording. But if you've not watched a doping scandal unravel before your very eyes, you may not understand the emotions and the cynical skepticism that can arise. My motto at this point is, : "If something seems to good to be true, it probably is".

I really hope that my concerns are unfounded, as it was an amazing performance.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Hey LMN, after the rough start to Emily's season with finishes in the teens she posted on IG that her and Adam had tried something new in her training and it hadn't worked out and they needed to change. That change obviously worked, what do you suppose they had tried that didn't work? She's been good at the XCC and XCO in this current race stretch. Obviously the long stretch of altitude training has helped, and ought to help her at the Nats in Canmore. Is there something else more unusual they were trying?
    Emily and Adam are pretty private about their training. I have a pretty limited knowledge of what they do.

I know that this year to get a WC win they decided to take a risk and try something completely different. Her volume through the winter up by a significant percentage. I think her riding in the spring was due to a very high fatigue level.

I did a couple of rides with her in the spring, and on a training ride she looked really fast. I was quite surprised when she didn't have that same speed at the first couple of races.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

You're correct. Ask Mr. Froome. We'll see how that turns out.... in re-reading my post, it comes pretty close to an accusation, and that was not my intent. Poor wording. But if you've not watched a doping scandal unravel before your very eyes, you may not understand the emotions and the cynical skepticism that can arise. My motto at this point is, : "If something seems to good to be true, it probably is".

I think that if you want a pollyanna world you aren't going to get it. One thing I learned is if you want to watch cycling or any sport for that matter then take it as it is. \

I enjoy the racing and the spectacle of it all. I view it as my favorite source of entertainment. I watch all the red bull stuff and have a yearly subscription to nbc gold cycling. Road, mountain, downhill, cyclo cross you name it I will watch it.

It is better than watching the news or getting caught up in something you can't change.

Go to cycling news and go to their forums and read "the clinic" and the posters there that go on and on and on (literally for years) about doping. What a waste of time and energy.

But I digress, Who wins Mount Sainte Annie?

My guesses:

Joelanda, Batty, Prevot,

Shirter, Gerhard and I can't believe I am saying this but MVDP? I am going to watch last year's race before my final guess.

I think Van de Poel is learning about pacing for a longer event. Since he used to have so much success (particularly in cross) by going out hard and getting a big gap I think he got used to it. Tearing the handlebars off the bike for 90 minutes doesn't work.

Registered Dietitian

Anyone who follows cycling has seen many doping scandals unfold. Some of us have seen them unfold with people we knew and raced against. That doesnít mean we all become cynics every time someone has a great day on the bike - and as someone already mentioned, Dahle-Flesjaa is one of the all-time greats and has had good form recently, so itís not a huge surprise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post

Who wins Mount Sainte Annie?

My guesses:

Joelanda, Batty, Prevot,

Shirter, Gerhard and I can't believe I am saying this but MVDP? I am going to watch last year's race before my final guess.

I like your picks. Here are mine:

1. Yana Belomoina
    2. Jolanda Neff
    3. Pauline Ferrand Prevot
    4. Emily Batty
    5. Kate Courtney
    -Keller, Tauber or Benko will likely sneak into one of those spots..

1. Shurter
    2. Marotte
    3. Tempier
    4. Van Der Poel
    5. Bart Brentjens sneaks onto the podium!!!!

Can't wait to get there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I don't follow the XC World Cup too closely but is there a reason there aren't too many Santa Cruz bikes in the field? I see a lot of the bigger brands like Specialized, BMC, Scott, etc. I'm guessing SC is more invested in their DH program would be my best guess. I ask because they have the new Blur and Highball which imo are XC race bikes, unless I'm mistaken.

ups and downs
    It's as much about marketing focus as anything else, they are obviously keenly interested in the marketing of the Syndicate DH team and the Enduro series.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-CA/riders

Quote Originally Posted by sammieandkrisbey View Post
    I don't follow the XC World Cup too closely but is there a reason there aren't too many Santa Cruz bikes in the field? I see a lot of the bigger brands like Specialized, BMC, Scott, etc. I'm guessing SC is more invested in their DH program would be my best guess. I ask because they have the new Blur and Highball which imo are XC race bikes, unless I'm mistaken.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Coming to visit
    Jan 2010

Exactly what I said to Kim about Emily - her form was looking bang on to finally take one out. And then GRD rolled up and smoked the lot of them!

I figured that's probably where Catharine is at, but if she is on the start line I can't be in anyone else's corner If Catharine can't do it, I'll be stoked if Emily wins in MSA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I could be wrong, but I thought that Emily said in her post race interview that Gunn-Rita would not be at MSA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought that Emily said in her post race interview that Gunn-Rita would not be at MSA.
    Yes, that is correct.

I really want to see Emily get that first win, she is really fast right now. Bummer she had that dropped chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cal_len1 View Post
    Yes, that is correct.

I really want to see Emily get that first win, she is really fast right now. Bummer she had that dropped chain.
    Me too - it was nice to see that she didn't chalk it up to bad luck or a bad bike setup and said it was her own mistake which makes me want her to get the win even more. I don't know that she would have won today anyway but I believe she could have comfortably been 2nd and you never know. She certainly burned a lot of extra energy hovering behind riders hoping for a chance to pass on the steep climbs where you can't save energy by being in the wheels and it's tough to pass without multiple smooth lines.

mtbr member
    Lap 3 into the menís at the moment and I donít know if I just havenít paid enough attention during previous events... but kudos to Red Bull as they had some great camera placement for this venue. Been great to watch thus far

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Regarding Emily I can't say anything about her training but she looks five pounds lighter this year. Didn't know about her "new" training but remarked to a friend two races ago she looked leaner this year and given her small size that could make a big difference. Regardless though she is storming and I hope she gets her win.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoAgain View Post
    Regarding Emily I can't say anything about her training but she looks five pounds lighter this year. Didn't know about her "new" training but remarked to a friend two races ago she looked leaner this year and given her small size that could make a big difference. Regardless though she is storming and I hope she gets her win.
    I hadn't noticed until reading this and seeing one of her instagram stories...and now I totally see it. Yes, definitely leaner. Really want her to get a W. She's worked super hard and her generally positive attitude through last season has been impressive to watch.

Love watching the women more than the men to be quite honest. Better personalities.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Comeback today from Jenny Rissveds today, she did start the Nationals and took the win in her first race.

Hopefully she take the time for the comeback and donít rush into it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    tech question...

when Emilys chain derailed...on a Narrow Wide single front ring.. does she HAVE to put the wide link on the wide tooth and vice versa? ( im still riding 2X10

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789