Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ups and downs

2015 World Cup Thread

OK, so I've got nothing but the race calendar, but it's a start, something to look forward to next May.

2015 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup calendar

May 23-24: XCO#1, Nove Mesto na Morave (Czech Republic)
    May 30-31: XCO#2, Albstadt (Germany)
    July 4-5: XCO#3 Lenzerheide (Switzerland)
    August 1-2: XCO#4, Mont-Sainte-Anne (Canada)
    August 8-9: XCO#5, Windham (United States)
    August 22-23: XCO#6 Val di Sole (Italy)

Perhaps the most conspicuous change is the lack of eliminators, the newest World Cup mountain bike sub-discipline. The UCI said the eliminator will still be part of the 2015 world championships, but it offered no explanation as to why it was dropping them from the World Cup calendar. Since its inception, participation in the eliminator has been significantly less than the cross country, with most top cross country racers choosing to skip the eliminator more often than not.

"The eliminator will not be present in the 2015 Mountain Bike World Cup for various logistical reasons," the UCI told Cyclingnews when asked why it was going away. "However, it will remain part of the UCI MTB World Championships. At this stage, there is not plan to replace it with anything else."

2015 UCI MTB & TRIALS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
    La Massana - Andorra, Vallnord Bike Park
    Sept 01-06, 2015
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    LOL, we're getting started early! I'm proud of the 31+ pages of the 2014 thread, I'm so glad there are others in the world who geek out over this stuff like I do.
    So my early contribution will be gratitude that Nino is riding MTB full time next season with no road race plans.
    Schurter commits to full mountain bike season in 2015 | Cyclingnews.com

Interesting that Eliminator didn't stick around very long. I don't see an issue with the top XCO riders not riding the Eliminators because that format allowed a racer with a different skillset to shine. And that's cool, I stink at climbing for being into XC so I can relate to a MTB race that favors the big-legged sprinter-type racers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    XCE had a lot of potential. But, I really feel they neutered the courses so much (after the first few), people who would really shine in that type of event wrote it off and stopped coming.

Will there be many (ie any) stand alone XCE races? Lets hope so, otherwise it's really odd to have a World Champ for a sub discipline that doesn't have races throughout the year.

Always pushing harder!!!
    The dust has not settled and the mud is not even dry and we are already talking 2015?

Well, I might as well join...

My questions for 2015...Will Jaro bounce back? Can Nino keep his onslaught? Will Julien be able to replicate his 2014, while juggling HT and FS bikes? Will the real M.A. Fontana show up like in 2012? How long before Hermida decides to stop racing and beating guys 12 years younger? Will Cink show up like in 2013? Can McConnell win a race beating Nino aand Julien straight up?

I hope to get those answers sometime next year...

ups and downs
    And can the youngsters like Jolanda Neff and Pauline Ferrand-PrÚvot hold their fitness and performance at the level they have, or will they fade back the way Elizabeth Osl and Julie Bresset did after stomping the field when they first arrived? That seems to be a pattern.

This past year of XCO racing was quite good, and has made for some great spectating and Red Bull watching.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks like the womens races will be a bit more interesting.

Looks like Jolanda is headed to stockli pro team (im sure my spelling is wrong)

Im on my phone and it wont let me post a link to her site

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Who is the dude that races in baggies? Someone needs to point him (or his sponsors) to this youtube so he can get some lycra kits ordered before 2015. At the WC level, it all adds up. You have to take every advantage if you really want to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReDmvjailA

mtbr member
    I do believe that's the Cannondale team that races in baggies.

mtbr member
    Those Specialized Win Tunnel experiments are pretty cool. It is intuitive that baggies are less aero than lycra, but there are so many other variables in a MTB race that it seems like it wouldn't matter that much. For example, drafting behind someone like riding single file on singletrack has a huge reduction in drag and could maybe negate any negative drag caused by flapping baggies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevpVXelq8A

Both Fumic and Fontana have had solid results (World Cup podiums I believe) while looking cool in their baggies. Marco did have his best result of the year though in the only race he did in lycra at World Champs! I wonder if they'll change their approach next year if they see this video? Because it is true that every little bit matters at that level.

Not as apples to apples as baggies vs lycra in the tunnel, but more evidence that aero is everything and clothes matter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNGQLi36xc

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Did they say what speed they were simulating in the baggy aero test? I know that other tests have been at 40 kph which is not applicable to mountain bike racing on anything with much singletrack. I don't think aero is of much value under 10 kph while pedalling and it is of zero value when you're descending while braking - even if it is at over 10 kph.

mtbr member
    I thought about the speed, too, because Caveman's race-fit jersey is certainly flapping quite a bit and implying that he's going pretty dang fast. They don't mention speed that I recall, but they usually report results as time saved over 40 km. For the MTB test, they reduced that to time saved over 20 km. I agree that aero wouldn't seem to matter much at low speeds, but the Win Tunnel tests show just how much of an aero impact drafting has even at distances up to 8 meters between the riders. That depends on speed, too, but it is still amazing to me that there is a measurable drafting benefit when there is more than a bike length between riders. So in that respect, every little thing might really matter for these top level racers at the top level events.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Some would argue that aero savings matter as much at lower speeds. This is because you are spending more time to cover the distance, so you have more potential to "make up" time with more aero equipment.

But, with the constant changes of pace in MTB XCO racing, going in and out of the woods, etc... It probably doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Watching other videos on their wind tunnel, the range of windspeed is from 20km/h at the lowest to 70km/h at the highest. Being their expressing their results as time saved based in seconds over 20km, id guess they were testing at the 20km/h. Not to say that some of the testing, and video used, was also at 40km/h...

While im sure aero savings probably matters a little at 20km/h.. I dont think that savings is linear as speed increases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvaENCS7718
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReDmvjailA
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Always pushing harder!!!
    Fontana anf Fumic had very different results this year...baggies had nothing to do with their results...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    Fontana anf Fumic had very different results this year...baggies had nothing to do with their results...
    Fontana had his best result of 2014 at the Worlds when the Italian National team basically backhanded him across the face for wearing baggies and he donned the team kit. Coincidence? I doubt it.

mtbr member

2015 World Cup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Some would argue that aero savings matter as much at lower speeds. This is because you are spending more time to cover the distance, so you have more potential to "make up" time with more aero equipment.

But, with the constant changes of pace in MTB XCO racing, going in and out of the woods, etc... It probably doesn't matter.
    The main question to ask on this subject is: "is there a disadvantage to wearing aero kit on a mountain bike?"

Although there may not be lots of sustained high speed sections on a current World Cup XC race course there are lots of places where the riders are sprinting, accelerating and reaching high speeds for shorter periods of time. These changes of pace are frequent. If you have improved aerodynamics, reducing drag, that would make it easier to accelerate and go fast on these sections, which should add up over the course of a 1 hour 30 minute race.

In terms of aero helmets what I've been finding with my Specialized Evade helmet is that it's just like wearing a normal bike helmet. In UK weather (the hottest this summer riding in it has been around 28c) the ventilation is pretty good, even when climbing at lower speeds, and I haven't missed my Giro Aeon at all. Whenever you do get up to higher speeds for any period of time you're getting some aero benefit from it. It's essentially free speed. The faster you go the more benefit you get. That still applies offroad also.

http://tour-int.com/

The same goes for a skinsuit . To wear it's not that different to a tight fitting jersey and bib shorts but you get improved aerodynamics for something you'd wear anyway.

Quite a nice picture is this one of Todd Wells after he'd won the 2014 Leadville 100 race. Specialized Evade aero helmet and a skin suit. Second place was Christoph Sauser, also in Specialized Evade aero helmet and skinsuit.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/1254...-finish-lakata

Where I think there are some easy aero gains to be made over the next few years are in mountain bike frame designs too. You can see how it is starting to go that way already with the increased number of mountain bikes using internally routed cables for a cleaner look, see Todd Wells Specialized Epic pictured above as an example. As XTR Di2 becomes more widespread that will clean up the number of exposed cables also.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate View Post
    Fontana had his best result of 2014 at the Worlds when the Italian National team basically backhanded him across the face for wearing baggies and he donned the team kit. Coincidence? I doubt it.
    What did Fontana wear on the European Championships? There is video in Youtube, but I don't remember...

Always pushing harder!!!
    Much disccussion can be had about baggies, aero and FS bikes as far as technology in WC races, but in reality, riders are who they are. We saw Fumic make podium in FS bike and baggies, while his BFF did it in a HT without the baggies. We saw Nino have the worst race of the season (no mechanicals included, I think he just blew up...kinda lika Albstadt) on the most important one, while like on that same exact race, Absalon had his best race of the season. Did equipment played a role? for one of them, almost definitely...

But we also saw other guys mixing it up with the top guns. The Fluck brothers had great showings, while Jaro kept playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide...maybe if he switched to a smaller chainring...I mean, he's big and powerful, but riding a 38T while courses keep getting those nasty climbs might take a heavy toll anybody...

When do the Olympic qualifying period begins next year?

mtbr member
    Bravo Cannaondale marketing squad. Mission accomplished.

Purulento
    Aug 2009
    I'd like to see redbull bringing in different commentators along with Rob. I like Bart, but different people bring another insights to the viewers. In the WC last year it was nice to see another guy commenting in one the the races...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bart must stay!! IF he goes I go....well maybe. I like what they both bring, Rob with his "simplton" questions and Bart knows what he is talking about. Not to mention the best accent, somtimes I say words in my head in his voice like, Tubular tires, Very dusty, SRAM xx1, ect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are you guys watching the races? When those guys wearing the baggies hit the start/finishing straight each lap they might as well be towing a kite. Instead of looking for marginal gains they have marginal loses each lap! Instead of looking cool I think it looks pretty stupid if the goal is to win.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Rob is awesome. You can tell over the years he has been doing the commentary that he really has grown to love and respect the XCO gals/guys and their abilities.

I think most of the time when he's asking somewhat daft questions, he's really just being a good color man so to speak. Setting Bart up to answer a question that he (Rob) knows the answer to, but is looking to add to the coverage and highlight a certain point.

I also hope that everyone is watching the DH at least some of the time. Rob is pretty much the world's most perfect commentator there. The races are exciting and his coverage is great. Like when he left the booth the Peaty pulled out that win, the amazing chainless run at the WC this year, or of course Danny Hart 2011.

mtbr member
    I agree about Rob, he has grown to appreciate the skill and fitness of XC it seems to me. I think he truly digs the Nino/Julien throwdowns. I also totally agree that he asks setup questions for Bart to answer, it's part of being a pro commentator. And Rob's DH commentary is great and his announcer partner "Cunni" know their stuff.

ups and downs
    I can't quite decide which one has the thicker and harder to understand accent, Rob or Bart. It's a closer race than the finishes at World's DH this year

What's interesting is that Rob obviously rides a XC mountain bike and talks about his 29" bike quite often, he's a very tall dude, must be at least 6'-5".

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast