Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Formerly of Kent

2014 XC Racing: Your Racing Series and Local Races

Over the years I've discovered that finding bike races isn't as simple as a Google search. Many races don't do online pre-reg, or affiliate with BikeReg or USACycling. Some don't have a website at all.

So, I want to help people get the ball rolling this year by coming up with a comprehensive list of racing series across the US. Or, if you live in an area without a defined series, a list of races that you'll be competing in.

But, please give us your approximate location. Saying "California" is a big more ambiguous than "Rhode Island", if you catch my drift. Also, commentary on the racing series, particularly any highlights or the type of racing it seems to offer. For example, "XCO-style courses", "single-loop epics", etc.

I'll start off with a few that I've raced in:

OBRA - Oregon Bicycle Racing Association
    OBRA: Oregon Bicycle Racing Association
    They offer a wide range of races, from dusty high desert burners to muddy, rainforest slogfests. OBRA is the best state racing organization I've come across, bar none. STXC, XCO, multi and single lap, marathon.

WORS - Wisconsin Off Road Series
    Wisconsin Off Road Series | Wisconsin Off Road Series - America's largest state MTB race series
    Multi-lap, heavily forested XC courses. Very well attended (best in US). Not super technical, but fun and fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2014 XC Racing: Your Racing Series and Local Races

Here in Texas there are these two series that I run and promote.

Lone Star XC Series.
    Http://lonestarxc.com
    A 7 race series across the best trails in Dallas and challenging riders with the most technical sections available.

DFW Summer Series
    Website coming soon...
    A weeknight summer racing series with two locations across Dallas. Courses are challenging but beginner friendly and the event is very chill and laid back, a perfect introduction for beginner riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Eastern PA, DE, NJ, MD - Mid-Atlantic Super Series

The Mid-Atlantic Super Series

mtbr member
    If you're in the Southeast sadlebred.com has some good information.

Central/eastern NC specifically has the Coastal Carolina Offroad Series (starting this weekend) which is fun and a little more laid back.

There's also the Southeastern Regional Championship Series (2014 serc series) and the Southern Classic Series (Southern Classic Mountain bike race series) that stay pretty close to NC/SC/GA.

I also hear TORC (Triangle Offroad Cyclists) is planning to try a summer series this year in the Raleigh area.

mtbr member
    H2Hrace.com is a killer series with varying courses from a lot of climbing to even more climbing and very technical to even more very technical! seriously, they are well attended in all categories and are run very well. terrain is mostly tight twisty singletrack but can vary from course to course since it covers northern NJ to southern NY.

Also, local MTBNJ.com club has a killer short track series in March (every saturday if I'm not mistaken) and a 6 hour race (Stewart Super Six Pack) in July.
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

I'd rather be riding

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    If you're in the Southeast sadlebred.com has some good information.

Central/eastern NC specifically has the Coastal Carolina Offroad Series (starting this weekend) which is fun and a little more laid back.

There's also the Southeastern Regional Championship Series (2014 serc series) and the Southern Classic Series (Southern Classic Mountain bike race series) that stay pretty close to NC/SC/GA.

I also hear TORC (Triangle Offroad Cyclists) is planning to try a summer series this year in the Raleigh area.
    Same with us here in Greensboro, NC (middle of the state), plus we have a Triad MTB Training Series - Wednesday night XC racing at various locations in the Piedmont Triad area. Home

Always Learning
    Sounds like a good idea LeDuke!! The outlier being the terminology and descriptions are not as universal

Minnesota Mountain Biking Series is here: Minnesota Mountain Bike Series
    Traditional XC Multi-lap races on a variety of heavily forested courses in Minnesota ranging from ski resorts, to tight twisty and technical courses. USAC sanctioned. In addition to the USAC categories, they offer a Fat Bike Division, a Clydesdale Division, and a Comp Division (CAT 2 that is between CAT 2 and CAT 1 Distance and ability). Usually one lap more than CAT 2 and one less than CAT 1. Races are spreadout throughout the entire state.

Nebraska Psycowapth Series is here: Psycowpath - the premier mountain bike racing series in Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa.
    Traditional XC Multi-lap races on a variety of courses ranging from heavily forested to wide open cow-path in the prairie and dusty riding. USAC sanctioned. They also offer a 4 hour multi-lap marathon race option at most events. Races are usually in the eastern 1/2 of the state.

Iowa Mountain Bike Championship Series
    is here: IORCA/IMBCS Home
    Traditional XC Multi-lap races on a wide variety of courses from ski resort, to river bluff, to heavily forested, to tight and twisty to a couple of non-technical courses. In addition to the USAC categories, they offer a Comp Division (CAT 2 that is between CAT 2 and CAT 1 Distance and ability). Usually one lap more than CAT 2 and one less than CAT 1. Races are spread out throughout the state. Some are USAC sanctioned, some in the series are not.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 01-27-2014 at 05:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Michigan Race Series

Michigan has a few race series. Mostly covering the lower half.

MMBA- More grass roots
    Championship Point Series « Michigan Mountain Biking Association

Tailwinds- More USAC oriented
    http://tailwind-racing.com/Default.html

A catch all for the rest of the races. Including Snowbike, epics and endurance
    Mountain Bike Races - Cross Country Cycle Holland, Michigan

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    NYSMTB series in New York's Hudson valley.

New York State Mountain Bike Series
    campmor.com

new york/new jersey xc race series:
    http://www.campmor.com/html/h2h.shtml

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Southeastern Wyoming
    Laramie Mountain Bike Series
    Home | LMBS

6 race series, cross country oriented. Non-sanctioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    New Mexico Off Road Series
    http://nmors.wordpress.com
    You name, we've got it: high altitude, high desert, multi-loop, ski resort based, rolling hills to killer climbs. Its all here. Rules are based on USA Cycling and licensing. 2014 has 12 scheduled events.

Plus there are other races in NM as well.

New Mexico Endurance Series
    New Mexico Endurance Series | This is grassroots endurance cycling.
    BIG LOOP racing!

Zia Rides/Zia Series
    Register - Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races | Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races
    12 & 24 Hour events

In Angle Fire, Los Alamos, and Sandia Peak (Albuquerque) I am sure there are some specific DH events too. I am also quite sure I am forgetting something!

Ride on……and on……. and on………and……on….

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Texas has TMBRA, which handles both the XC State Champs and the Marathon series: TMBRA - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association

mtbr member
    If you are in Ontario, near by, wandering through, or looking for a challenge,

Our overall race schedule

All Race Schedules | Ontario Cycling Association

We have our XC series, labelled as the Ontario Cups.

Ontario Cup Series | Super Fly Racing

Two of the series races, a Canada Cup and the National Championship are hosted by

Pulse Racing Mountain Bike Events

OCUPS will see world cup level racers depending on scheduling.

With the Canada Cup being the weekend before nationals, we get two weeks of the top racers Canada has (Pendrel, Batty, Kabush, Plaxton, Zandstra, Disera).

The 30+ and 40+ expert categories are highly competitive as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Florida:
    Gone Riding usac sanctioned races. Holds the Florida State Championship series through the winters all over the state, and looks like the George State Championship series in the summers. They also hold a "Coconut Cup" series towards the end of the Florida State Championship series which stays in the South Florida area. Florida has one type of riding.. XC
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Washington State

Budu westside series: short, early season multi-lap races mostly around the greater Seattle area. BuDu Racing, LLC | Mountain Bike and Road Cycling Events in the Pacific Northwest | Running, Duathlons and Triathlons
    Fat Tire Revolution series: longer courses, throughout the state, running late spring through summer Vicious Cycle | cycling and event promotion
    NW MTB Series: new for '14, looks like traditional XC. https://www.facebook.com/NWMTB
    NW epic series: each race has a long and short course option. 30/60, 30/60 and 50/100. Good courses and varied locations, Port Gamble, Chelan and Capitol Forest. Home

High School and middle school racing: Evergreen Washington Student League

One off's that I know of: FOCF classic, 2 day Super D and XC combo in capitol forest. Racing |

Thankfully, none are USAC affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    They offer a wide range of races, from dusty high desert burners to muddy, rainforest slogfests. OBRA is the best state racing organization I've come across, bar none.
    Couldn't agree more with this Fortunately for me OR isn't too far of a drive, and I'm down there a few times a year anyway. There'd be a lot less USAC races if everyone could attend a few OBRA races.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Utah has a good number of XC race series:
    Utah Bike Racing | Utah Bike Racing
    Mid-Week MTB ? race series -
    WRS - Home
    2014 Events | Utah State Championship Series

These are some of the best attended ones. I participate in the I Cup (first link) as much as I can and dabble in the others for specific venues. Nice spread of types of terrain. Desert, valley, ski resort, rough back country..awesome!

mtbr member
    Here's our race schedule in West Virginia.

West Virginia Mountain Bike Assocation

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    OBRA: Oregon Bicycle Racing Association
    They offer a wide range of races, from dusty high desert burners to muddy, rainforest slogfests. OBRA is the best state racing organization I've come across, bar none. STXC, XCO, multi and single lap, marathon.
    I raced mountain bikes for years in Utah, than moved to Oregon. OBRA makes Utah look like a joke! Heck, USA cycling wishes they where OBRA!
    You forgot to mention OBRA's Cross Crusade - with some of the highest attendance numbers in the world, it is something to experience! There has to be around 10,000 people just spectating! Made my experience at Sea Otter look like a local race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ok...what do they actually do that is better? I would be curious to know. One series has a new director who is looking to make it a high quality race. So I would love some suggestions...

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    It's a combination of things IMO. The promoters and management of OBRA are very enthusiastic about doing things right and growing the sport. There's a lot of focus on growing the grassroots of the sport and making cycling very inclusive (especially cross). OBRA itself owns a lot of race equipment that it rents to promoters for events. Costs are kept down by bypassing USAC, for example, a one day license is $5, and full year is $25, for road, cross, mtb, track, etc. Reminds me of a credit union vs. B of A. The end result is more bike racing per capita than anywhere in the US last I heard, and the largest amateur cross series. XC MTB was huge in the 90s, died down some, and now seem to be doing well again. Rules and classes are tweaked annually, and the OBRA mountain bike guy asks for feedback on how various races were run.

OBRA-like sanctioning is available nationwide at NABRA: North American Bicycle Racing Association

Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post
    Ok...what do they actually do that is better? I would be curious to know. One series has a new director who is looking to make it a high quality race. So I would love some suggestions...

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    To add onto ACree's comments:
    OBRA also has professionally trained officials at every race. The people working the event know what they are doing and are extremely helpful and nice. They also have just about every type of racing available with an extremely full calendar of events.

As far as mountain bike racing, they have every type of race under the sun - Short Track, traditional XC, endurance races, 24 hour races, Enduro, and Downhill. With a bunch of events being the entire weekend, and the event not only crowns the winner of each type of racing, but than an overall weekend winner. Pretty fun to try to do an Enduro event on Saturday and than a XC race on Sunday with the same bike. And when you race the event you always feel like you got more than your money's worth.

In Utah (I-Cup) I always felt like I never got my moneys worth out of the event. From the high cost of every event, to people working the event not really knowing what was going on, pour marking of the trails, pour time keeping, taking forever to post results on the website,...
    And joining OBRA for $25 you also get 2 official numbers that are made of nylon to use in at most races (Cross Crusade has a different number system since they use the numbers to stage you at the start).

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    We've got our yearly "Top Gun" event on this weekend.
    DH on Sat, XC on Sun, SuperD on Mon.

Combine DH/SuperD or XC/SuperD points for the overall Top Gun prize.

The XC is also the national series round 2.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    OBRA-like sanctioning is available nationwide at NABRA: North American Bicycle Racing Association
    Are you sure it is nation wide this year? I know last year it was focused on the western half of the US only covering Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and California.

Are there NABRA Officials available in every state this year to go nation wide? Seems like a huge cost to haul in officials from NABRA unless they are within easy driving distance of events.

I just looked at some of the NABRA forms, processsing fees, fee structure, insurance, etc... and am left wondering what benefits to riders make the NABRA one stop shopping place for insurance, online registration, rules any better - or that much better than USAC or going non-sanctioned 3rd Party private?

I didn't run the actual total numbers from a promoters standpoint as to what the processing fees, officials fees, insurance costs, online registration costs, etc.... as to what an event would cost to put on with NABRA compared to an event with USAC or a non-sanctioned event, but a cursory look at the fees don't look like that big of a savings. Nothing against competition between cycling bodies, or the reaction to USAC that created NABRA in the first place, but I don't think it looks like they are really a nation wide organized structure yet. Seems more region and local specific to a few states out west.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Are you sure it is nation wide this year?
    From what I had read, I was under the impression the insurance, processing, etc. was available nationwide. Appears to only be utilized in the West/NW at the moment. Officials tend to be local, I can't imagine that having quick expansion.

If you're considering total costs, make sure you account for $25/$5 full year/one day memberships vs. USAC fees. For that matter, I know the WA cross races that were listed on the NABRA calendar didn't charge or require membership fees of any kind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast