July 31-Aug 3, 2014.....UCI World Cup XCO / XCE / DHI 5 Mont-Sainte-Anne
    Aug 7-10, 2014...........UCI World Cup XCO / XCE / DHI 6 Windham
    Aug 21-24, 2014.........UCI World Cup XCO / XCE / DHI 7 Méribel
    Sept 3-7, 2014...........UCI XCO/XCE/XCR/DHI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Hafjell
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I miss the XCO at Ft. Bill.

Also, no World Cup after the WC is too bad. I like seeing the new rainbow kit at one big race before the end of the season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah...someone was bound to do it I guess. I am sad that the USA got shut out this year. I am excited to see a dry Albstadt, even though last years mud-fest was arguably the best race of the whole season!
    Here's hoping all of the "Big Three" are healthy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post
    Yeah...someone was bound to do it I guess. I am sad that the USA got shut out this year. I am excited to see a dry Albstadt, even though last years mud-fest was arguably the best race of the whole season!
    Here's hoping all of the "Big Three" are healthy
    I see Windham on the schedule, is that not right?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

ups and downs
    Yep, Windham right after MSA this year.

https://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/e...world-cup-2014

A lot of travel south of the equator this year. That flight between South Africa and Australia is at least 14 hours long. And South Africa is something like 30-35 hours from North America.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    I see Windham on the schedule, is that not right?
    Whoops! Yup my mistake. I got caught between thoughts as I typed about 2013 and 2014. Either way, I'm still a moron.
    The travel issue brought up is interesting. I know the racers are not fond of being in airplanes as they try to avoid catching colds. I wonder if we will see lots of guys skip races this next year.

ups and downs
    Skipping early races screws up their starting position quite a bit, unless that have been doing lots of UCI points races pre-World Cup season. It's too bad that they changed the start order ranking from World Cup points to all UCI points, that works against riders running just the World Cup series, their start order ranking just gets worse and worse unless they are in the top 10 all the time at the finish.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They have changed it again.

This year the first world cup will be by UCI points, after that the rest will be by world cup ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Skipping early races screws up their starting position quite a bit, unless that have been doing lots of UCI points races pre-World Cup season. It's too bad that they changed the start order ranking from World Cup points to all UCI points, that works against riders running just the World Cup series, their start order ranking just gets worse and worse unless they are in the top 10 all the time at the finish.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

ups and downs
    Good thing too, that was a wacky idea and really hurt the non-Euro racers who have limited access to UCI points races outside of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    They have changed it again.

This year the first world cup will be by UCI points, after that the rest will be by world cup ranking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yea, I know it was crappy for Lea Davidson last season. She was consistently in the top 10, had a few podiums, etc. But, she was always like number 15-16... barely on the second row.

mtbr member
    I don't want to miss out on this thread like I did last year, so subscribed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am curious, has anyone here every actually been to a WC event? If so describe what it was like...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am curious, has anyone here every actually been to a WC event? If so describe what it was like...
    Might have been to a few WCs, not to mention a world championships and an Olympics or two.

What do you want to know? Course, atmosphere, ect...
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

ups and downs
    I've spectated at 4 World Cups and a World Champs at Mont Sainte Anne, and the World Cup at St Felicien in Quebec. They put on a great events in Quebec. Typically had 20,000 spectators at MSA when MHP was racing, a bit less without. And they put on a big party on the last night after the DH races.

2014 World Cup Thread-2007_0704worldcup0062.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-2007_0704worldcup0167.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-2007_0704worldcup0228.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-2007_0704worldcup0273.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-2008_0727new0132.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Might have been to a few WCs, not to mention a world championships and an Olympics or two.

What do you want to know? Course, atmosphere, ect...
    It's on my bucket list. Seems like having a WC event won't be coming back to the western US for a long time (if ever again). So I will have to convince the wife to let me go. Just wondering what could I expect if I did go? Do you feel like you can follow what's going on at all? Is it a fun time? Worth my time/money?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    WC are a lot of fun. My experience at them it a bit different then most, with my wife racing they are far from relaxing weekends, but still a lot of fun. I usually get a ton of riding in during week and spend the week watching some racing.

How good of viewing experience it is depends entirely on the course. Mt. Saint Anne for example is superb to watch, with a bit of running you can catch the riders multiple time per laps. Other courses, like Windham for example, aren't as good. ( The course layout makes it really hard to follow the race. ) Fortunately the UCI brings in a big screen TV and you can watch the live feed while you are there spectating.

I don't know of a WC event in western US, but from what I have been hearing there is a good chance for a Whistler WC in the near future.

It's on my bucket list. Seems like having a WC event won't be coming back to the western US for a long time (if ever again). So I will have to convince the wife to let me go. Just wondering what could I expect if I did go? Do you feel like you can follow what's going on at all? Is it a fun time? Worth my time/money?

ups and downs
    I don't know of a WC event in western US, but from what I have been hearing there is a good chance for a Whistler WC in the near future.
    Been a long time since the World Cups on Grouse Mountain. Whistler would be good, it would be nice to drive to a WC race instead of fly.

If you were going to make a vacation trip out of it, Mont Sainte Anne is a great destination. Still lots of open XC and lift assist trails to ride during the week while the race is organized and taped, and it's only 35 minutes from old Quebec City which is a worthy tourist destination on its own for the SO that maybe isn't as gung ho about watching MTB racing.

mtbr member
    Very tempting to make the trek up the coast the Cairns this year... Some awesome riding in North Queensland and I have no doubt the WC weekend will go off!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    WC are a lot of fun. My experience at them it a bit different then most, with my wife racing they are far from relaxing weekends, but still a lot of fun. I usually get a ton of riding in during week and spend the week watching some racing.
    Dude! That's sweet that your wife is racing at that level! Bravo. Are you comfortable revealing who she is so we can root for her? Do you have a blog or anything?

That MSA course looks super sweet! If I ever make the trip there I will have to try out the course after the race (if people can get on it). It often seems that TV/video just doesn't do justice to how crazy the features are sometimes. I'd like to get a feel for how hard it really is. For example, that famous rock drop/left turn feature. It was taken out this last year. But I want to clean that sucker!
    My wife's family is in Michigan so maybe I can talk her into letting me drive over there for a weekend during a family visit.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ah... I just checked when you joined the forum, most posters know her. The tiny girl in the Luna outfit on 2nd step of the podium in one of pictures above is my wife. That picture was after a good day for her, her first top three at a world cup. The next weekend was better.

MSA is worth the trip. The course is generally closed during the week but, and you didn't hear this from me, you can often sneak on during the evenings. And your right TV doesn't do justice on how challenging the course is.

Dude! That's sweet that your wife is racing at that level! Bravo. Are you comfortable revealing who she is so we can root for her? Do you have a blog or anything?

That MSA course looks super sweet! If I ever make the trip there I will have to try out the course after the race (if people can get on it). It often seems that TV/video just doesn't do justice to how crazy the features are sometimes. I'd like to get a feel for how hard it really is. For example, that famous rock drop/left turn feature. It was taken out this last year. But I want to clean that sucker!
    My wife's family is in Michigan so maybe I can talk her into letting me drive over there for a weekend during a family visit.

ups and downs
    I thought I likely had a photo of Mrs.LMN at MSA, better known as Catharine Pendrel.

2014 World Cup Thread-336.jpg

Along with some shots of the very well attended pit area and La Beatrice. It's supposed to be back in the game in 2014, the trails above it were eroded like mad in the spring. In the dry it isn't so scary unless the stones have got a nice coating of dust, in the wet it can be greasy enough that walking is more dangerous than riding.

2014 World Cup Thread-023.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-2010_0903new0026.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-2010_0903new0028.jpg

mtbr member
    I see Topeak-Ergon has dumped their XCO team.
    Topeak-Ergon Drops Cross Country To Focus On Marathon Racing | Cyclingnews.com
    Irina deserves better! They all do, but this chick has too awesome of a resume to get this treatment!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ah! Mr. Pendrel it is a pleasure to meet you. Yes, I am a bit late to the party but I did discover the XC passion 4 years ago and have been totally hooked ever since. Besides, bike racing is far better for a family man tha hardcore rock climbing.
    What's also cool is that we are big Luna fans in this house. I was so psyched to see Nash get her first win (been close so many times)! Watch Georgia almost get it last year. You could see the emotion from your wife when she reached her just before the line! That had to be tough passing your teammate like that.
    After last year's disappointing year, I hope she comes back stronger than ever!
    Back on the original topic: the course at MSA is so classic, we are trying to convince our local ski resorts to cut XCO style courses modeled after it. We are slowly turning the gears if change out here in Utah.
    Despite my newness, I am pleased to meet you all and look forward to chatting up how awesome this next season will be. Hoorah!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    I see Topeak-Ergon has dumped their XCO team.
    Topeak-Ergon Drops Cross Country To Focus On Marathon Racing | Cyclingnews.com
    Irina deserves better!!
    That IS bad news! Any word on where she will sign?

ups and downs
    Irina has done quite well at MSA over the years, she's quite good at the technical trail surfaces. She's very tiny (5'-1") in person. Being small and light sure helps with her climbing speed.

Any bike company or race team looking at having a proven contender could do worse, but I bet she'll be an expensive hire with her resume.

2014 World Cup Thread-2011_0702new0047.jpg

2014 World Cup Thread-msa-ew-race-061.jpg

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast