mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2014 training not going so good

I have been racing about 6-7 years. I am a cat 1 and do mostly 100 milers. The last 3 years I have started off pretty much the same way. I do a 3 hour compu-trainer class on Sundays in zone 2 and ride 5 other days a week on the trainer for 1-2 hours. The last 2 years for my 1st 20 minute test I put out around 330 watts and this year I only can barely do about 300. In my Sunday class I usually average 240-250 watts for 3 hours and this year I can only do about 210. I have not done anything different leading up to now and I am getting discouraged. Last year right up through the iceman I rode better than ever. I ride about 7-8 thousand miles a year. We are now about 4 weeks into the year and nothing is getting any better. Any thoughts should I change anything or just hang in there. I still have the motivation and energy I have always had just no power.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Diet change?
    Virus/cold in last few months?

Get a blood test done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What to look for in a blood test. Only asking cause I don't know about my blood from before. Never had one. This is a good idea though. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Switch power measurement devices? Otherwise, remember it's not even Feb yet. Sometimes it's good to not over think things and just ride.

mtbr member

2014 training not going so good

If you look back through your training diary for October/ November/ December 2013 how does it compare to previous years? Did you do the same volume of riding and format of sessions as in the previous years?

If you have energy and motivation does that mean you're feeling ok? i.e. Is it just the power numbers that are low or are there any other signs that you may possibly be unwell - persistent cough, sore throat, fatigue etc?

Have you tried a different power measurement device to double check? Whether it's something like the Computrainer having issues and providing inaccurate power figures whilst you're actually riding ok.

mtbr member
    WR304 is on the right track. Check your 2013 Q4 data and see what's changed. Also, has your diet changed any? Lastly, not sure of your age, but you are a year older and coming from a 51 year old, I can definetly see a difference in my power over the past few years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Maybe a break would help? Or change up your training

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ignore the power meter. How are you feeling? Somebody who has been riding as long as you have knows what fit and not fit feel like. Are you feeling off?

Reason I am asking is because power meters are notoriously unreliable. I have two athletes do FTP test yesterday, and today I having both of them check there power meters against other power meters. Both of them had been training together and were pretty similar in form but their FTP numbers differed by a whole watt/kg. There is a difference between the two but not that big of a difference.

What are you using to measure power with?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for all the input. I feel very fit besides riding I go to the gym a few days a week and feel like it's all good there. I am using a computer trainer at a vision quest coaching class and every week I use a different one and power is bad on all of them. I have 2 close friends in the class and they are doing a little better than last year so that tells me it's just me. My resting heart rate is between 38 and 42 bpm as always when I wake up in the morning. End of last season was the same as always I was stronger than the year before right up through the end of November. I eased off all of December and got going again the first of the year like always. I will give it a couple more weeks and see.

mtbr member
    Have you had a good post season break?.. By good I mean a good few weeks with no riding at all, maybe a little cross training only. Is the motivation and fun still there for both riding and training?

If the interest is waning you might be a little fatigued, or even facing the early stages of burnout.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.