Thread: 2014 Hardtails

mtbr member

2014 Hardtails

Money is tight but I need a competetive bike for the 2014 season. Considering these:

9.4 kg, 3000. http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbi...ke.html?b=3177
    9.1 kg, 3300. Radon Black Sin 29 10.0 SL

Am I loooking in the right direction?

The new Stumpy Marathon HT looks very nice, but all middlemen in Specialized's business model makes it redicolusly expensive. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Is used an option? I've seen some good deals around my local area on some bikes... maybe you could find a lightly used Stumpy or something to ride.

mtbr member

2014 Hardtails

That Canyon Grand Canyon CF SLX looks really nice, regardless of cost. About all I can see is that it's not completely clear which type of bottom bracket that frame uses and the SRAM XX brakes may be hassle. If you're fine with doing the maintenance yourself something like that mail order is much better value than the big manufacturers offer. Canyon bikes are ones that I look at and think "I'd happily ride one of those".

Apparently there can sometimes be relatively long wait times on Canyon bikes being delivered (not always a case of ordering and it arriving the next week) so it's best to make sure you order in advance of needing to ride it. Apart from that I'd say go for the Canyon.

There's a big thread about Canyon bikes here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...002&t=12789920

Despite costing 1,000 GBP more the roughly equivalent Specialized Stumpjumper expert carbon hardtail model has a much worse spec. It doesn't compare really.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...53584#features

The other option to consider for a hardtail is to get a no name Chinese carbon frame and buy the components from ebay. Buying from a reputable seller that can work quite well also.

Chinese Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    +1 on the Canyon. You can't beat the price-value-ratio of this brand. Especially when looking for full bikes.

I just bought a 2013 GC CF SLX framekit which they sold it at a significant discount. My other options would have been a Scott Scale frame or a RM Vertex. In the end I opted for the Canyon.

Bottom bracket is of BB92 type.

Yes, wait times can be a pain!
    Yes,

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just noticed that my previous post got cut off. I wanted to share two pics of my custom build Canyon:

well, three pics ...

mtbr member

2014 Hardtails

One nice feature of the Canyon hardtail that's worth mentioning too is that it has a stop built into the head tube and headset, so that when you crash the handlebars don't spin round and dent the frame. With a 29er, where the handlebars are often quite low (as seen in quax's pictures above), that comes in handy for peace of mind.

Canyon Grand Canyon CF SLX head tube stop to protect the frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would say buy just a frame and build it up but it seems all the big companies only sell there highest end frames as frame only options. the giant sl advance is 2250 for just the frame and I think specialized only does a frame and fork option in the s-works model that is 3500. that canyon bike looks really cool to bad they don't ship to the united states or do a frame only option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I purchased the same Canyon as a frame only. I think they sell most bikes as frame only, too.

Didn't know they don't ship to the US.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was considering the 2014 RM Vortex...anyone have experience with the 2013 version?

mtbr member
    Yup, I have a 2013 RM Vertex. Awesome bike! Great handling, forget you are on big wheels sometimes. Frame is light enough without being silly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was able to demo the 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT on Saturday. I was in heaven! I couldn't believe how aggressive I felt. After I turned it back in, I hoped on my Epic for a couple more laps. I was certainly faster on the DH, but the climb felt sluggish in comparison. I also felt so upright on the Epic, it was almost like being on a trail bike. I couldn't believe how different it felt. I am in the market for a HT now for sure. Stumpy is a finalist. Now to find out of Vortex will make the cut too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a RM Vertex 999 and its super great bike. Fast, with great handling. I barely notice that I am on a 29" wheel most of the time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone have any input on what the top lustworthy singlespeed race frames would be? The Niner One 9 RDO comes to mind, along with the Stumpy SS frame, but I'm always a little disappointed when I see a new racy hardtail without singlespeed capability, especially if it's available frame only.