Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Race bikes

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That looks sweet. The chainstay length looks quite a bit tighter than what I was used to seeing on Vassagos, that's what had kept me away from them, but apparently you can slide it in all the way to 17.1", which is what it looks like you did. I may have to take another look at these. Do you think the sliders introduce any noticeable flex? The system looks pretty burly. Love the 142x12 on sliders.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yep. I like the long stays too in certain situations. Ill probably make them longer once I move to real mountains. For now, the shorter stays are super playful for the trails I ride.

The sliders are super high quality. Ill tell you up front, I am extremely sensitive to flex. For example, If I lower my rear tire pressure by 1 psi, I can tell by the extra squirm. I weight 161 lbs for the record.

I feel absolutely no flex in the rear of the frame when cornering hard. If I did feel some, I wouldnt be able to ride the frame. It would drive me nuts.

Hope this helps. Keep an eye on the 29er bikes forum in the coming weeks. I plan to post a thread with a more detailed review.

John
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

fux
    Scooterist
    Mine. Although actualy heavier than my Enduro bike...

2013 Race bikes-ams01.jpg

2013 Race bikes-ams02.jpg
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member

Epic

well here she is b4 a guy ran over the front after a 6hr race y'day....

the front rim was crushed I cant see any other damage but everyone says I should just tell him to file a claim with his car insurance just because you never know. What y'all think?

One the bright side this bike rocks! It is an awesome race bike and the carbon wheels are a great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-image.jpg  

2013 Race bikes-image.jpg  

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    well here she is b4 a guy ran over the front after a 6hr race y'day....

the front rim was crushed I cant see any other damage but everyone says I should just tell him to file a claim with his car insurance just because you never know. What y'all think?

One the bright side this bike rocks! It is an awesome race bike and the carbon wheels are a great!
    Oh man! You were at conyers yesterday!

We all got pretty distracted at the podium watching the van+carbon wheel dilemma.

Sorry that had to happen to you.
    Hopefully his insurence makes it right ASAP

Bro Mountainbiker
    And to answer your question, that would be probably poor karma.
    The insurance company may want to see the bike too...

I would definitely get the fork and frame checked out for alignment issues or possible damage prior to filing the claim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I know this is 2013 race bikes, here is my 2011 with 2013 upgrades
    Stans Crest Rims with Chris King Mango hubs, black DT-swiss spokes and blue nipples
    Specialized s-works ground control front tire Specialized s-works fast trak rear tire
    11-36 SRAM XO cassette
    Shimano XT rotors
    Specialized s-works carbon flat bar
    Specialized s-works carbon seat post

she weighed in at 26.5, not the lightest but solid!!

2013 Race bikes-580082_10200783944341415_1351746189_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Sv: 2013 Race bikes

2013 Race bikes-uploadfromtaptalk1364630443688.jpg

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

Formerly of Kent
    I'm fairly certain that's what every single bike posted thus far is, dude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Isn't the whole post full of xc bikes?

mtbr member
    Here's my weight weenie bike - Soul Cycles Icon. Just under 34lbs. I might splurge on some super light tubes to get the bike closer to 33lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-318830_478691645474192_1557141391_n.jpg  

"Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Also leave the valve stem caps off for more weight savings.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

My 2013 race bike

Originally started life as a Specialized comp carbon 29. The current set-up includes:

Crankset: Specialized S-Works
    Chain Rings: Rotor Q-rings 38/26
    Wheels: Stans Arch Ex rims w/Stan's Ti hubs
    Brakes: Shimano XTR
    Pedals: Shimano XTR
    Tires (F/R): S-works ground control 2.1/S-works fastrack 2.0 (tubeless of course)

I have heard lots of comments (both negative and positive) about the Rotor elliptical chain rings. I just put them on this evening and have not had a chance to try them out, will report back. I ended up going with Arch Ex rims because I wanted something that was both affordable, lightweight, and bulletproof. As we all know you can only have 1 or 2 of the three, so I felt this build was the best compromise.

Should get the bike on the scale this week to see what final weight is.
    Last edited by cuzitsmyUSofwtvr; 04-03-2013 at 08:21 PM.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    My quiver updated.

KS Lev dropper post added to the Anthem Advanced X 29'er 0, and a new one, for select races that I will race SS in, a Giant XTC Advanced 29'er...currently weighing in a 17.24 lbs with a Niner rigid fork, Race Gold wheels, XTR cranks..used a Yess tensioner, for, uh, tension
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-anthem-xtc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    2007 Anthem 2. I just got the wheels (easton ea90s) and running tubeless now. This is my first year racing. I'd like to get a newer 29er next year.
    2013 Race bikes-bike-2013.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My Jabber.

photo-8
    Pedal through it!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    My Jabber.

photo-8
    Good looking bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks Sheepo! I've dug all of your Vassagos, cross set-up and Optimus are both killer.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here's mine. Had planned on using my good ol' 2008 Orbea Alma carbon I've been riding for a while until I cracked the chainstay a week before my first race. A buddy on my team sold me this frame cheap and in like new shape, so I swapped the components over. Only one ride on it but I like it a lot!

Scott Scale RC 29er
    Crest wheels
    SID XX
    XX1 cranks
    X9 type II RD
    XO shifter
    XX brakes
    XTR cassette
    Ikon front/Crossmark rear

All up weight is only 19 lbs 2 oz.

Need to do some better color matching. Think I'm going to ditch the red and go all black. Got the brown Tioga saddle because I found it for a lot cheaper than the other colors. Great saddle even though it looks uncomfortable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-dscf4509-1024x768-.jpg  

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorPRO View Post
    Thanks Tommy! Yup, I'll be there.

Goal: no broken bones next season!
    New race bike... still waiting on the aluminum one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-image.jpg  

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    New race bike... still waiting on the aluminum one
    Nice, I like the look of the oversized down tube. How does it ride?

Formerly of Kent
    Damn. Those seat stays are pencil thin. Awesome.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Nice, I like the look of the oversized down tube. How does it ride?
    You should see the downtube on the frame he built for my friend... who outweighs me by 50+ lbs...

Only one ride so far, with a 120mm stem (geo intended for 100mm as pictured; I put it on after the initial ride).

It's kind of a "test mule", as my friend the builder is just beginning to do race MTB frames (road is his background). We will likely redo the rear end at some point as we prioritized tire clearance and a reasonably short chainstay (17.5") with crazy-huge chainstays. We had to dimple the stays more than intended for the chainring/crankarms to clear, messing up the paint a bit.

Basically, way more tire room than needed (even for the biggest I'll ever run), and not enough chainring room. Chainstays could be shortened as well, as there's no provision for a front derailleur.

It handles very well, very neutral (basically a Superfly geo with a non-G2 headangle, slightly higher BB, slightly slacker seat angle, and the TT of a 19" but the ST of a 17.5" frame). I'm riding it this AM with the 100mm stem. Will also try a non-G2 fork (as intended) soon; just don't have that yet.

The really interesting thing (for Saturday's 6-hour race in the mountains) is the 40t single ring (my 36t modified XTR isn't here yet)...

Will repost with more ride impressions later today. So far, it's so comfy over seated bumps it's crazy. Almost like a softtail. At least part of that is the long seatpost; part is the frame, as standing over roots, etc. at speed is smoother too.

It's fun to try new things. It's very light for a steel frame... True Temper S3 road tubing for the TT and ST...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    We had to dimple the stays more than intended for the chainring/crankarms to clear, messing up the paint a bit.
    I noticed the dent right away. Makes sense now! Sweet looking bike for sure.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    I noticed the dent right away. Makes sense now! Sweet looking bike for sure.
    Yeah, the perils of being a Guinea pig We planned on having a few hiccups, no worries.

Rode it for 1 hour this AM on the trails... with the 100mm stem (and 25 PSI in the Crossmaxes; there was ~19 PSI last night, I didn't check before riding) the bike is a different beast entirely. Very nice handling, compliant enough with just enough flex to feel lively, not too whippy at all (and I don't like overly whippy frames). Steers great, from the hips as a good race bike should.

The slacker ST plus longer TT really gave me what I wanted with a good reach to the bars without a ton of seatpost offset or a long stem. Feels very centered between the wheels, very neutral. Rethinking the need for shorter stays now; might just keep the current geo but swap to a thru-axle rear (just to try it, no practical reason).

Racing it Saturday. Hope my 36t crankset arrives, but if not, I can stand and climb pretty well...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast