Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 127

Thread: 2013 Race bikes

  1. #76
    nya
    nya is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    72
    Mine is definitely not weight weenie piece
    Orbea Alma Carbon 29er
    RS SID RLT
    Crest + Hope + RaR (tubeless ofc)
    XTR (XT crankset, cassette)
    Hayes Prime breaks
    Bontrager RXL bigsweep 660mm + bontrager stem + ESI grips
    some carbon FSA seatpost + SI SLR Carbonio Flow saddle

    its probably around 10.5kg (23 pounds), could be under 10kg pretty easily, but not worth the money atm, saving for some nice enduro bike also...

    but I love orbea's geometry, great for tech stuff, easy to turn, fun to ride, great bike I built myself

    XCO results, races, riders etc http://mtbcrosscountry.com

    gearing ratios calculator http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com

  2. #77
    Outrunning zombies
    Reputation: 9erfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    I'll be running my stock GF HiFi this year. Ditched the AL hardtail I had, sticking with this one. That old HT is tired and weighs only a pound or so less than this one.

    GF/Trek HiFi | Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
    If you don't eat **** every now and again, you aren't riding hard enough!

  3. #78
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    961

    2013 Race bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Are you gonna have that out at McDowell this weekend? What cat?
    Just saw this.... No I missed racing the McD Meltdown because it was the day before Rock-n-Roll AZ, but I ended up cooking my legs on what was supposed to be a leg stretcher ride on Saturday and blew up (slow 4h07) in the marathon on Sunday anyways.

    Surely see you at Whiskey!

  4. #79
    Happy Trails
    Reputation: Scott In MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    961

    2013 Race bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post


    FRAMESET: Specialized S-Works Epic 29
    WHEELS: ENVE Twenty9 XC with DT Swiss 240s Hubs
    TIRES: Maxxis IKON EXC EVO
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XO Gripshift
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM XO
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM XO
    CRANK: SRAM XO
    BOTTOM BRACKET: SRAM PF30
    CASSETTE: SRAM XX 11-36
    CHAIN: SRAM PC-1091
    PEDALS: Crankbrothers Eggbeater 3 with Titanium Spindles
    BRAKES: Magura MT-8
    ROTORS: Magura Storm SL (Soon to be Kettle Cycles Carbon)
    HANDLEBAR: ENVE Sweep Bar
    STEM: ENVE 90mm Stem
    HEADSET: FSA Carbon Tapered
    SADDLE: Specialized Toupe Pro LTD
    SEAT POST: ENVE Zero Offset
    BOTTLE CAGES: Arundel Sideloader Matte Carbon

    All in all, it comes out to right about 22lbs and it rips! And, yes, I have cut the cables down since the picture

    And I just took my first MTB XC win last weekend on it!
    This is nice.

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    34
    Just purchased and put together my new bike last weekend. Can't wait for the snow to go away.

    2013 Race bikes-titusbyfireplace.jpg
    2013 Race bikes-titusonstand.jpg

    Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock
    Rock Shox Reeba RLT fork
    Magura Louise brakes
    SRAM X-7 shifters
    SRAM X-9 rear derailleur
    Shimano SLX front derailleur
    FSA Comet cranks
    Mega EXO bottom bracket
    11-34 cassette
    Shimano XT wheelset
    Schwalbe Little Albert tires
    Titus carbon offset seatpost
    Titus 120mm 6 degree 31.8 stem
    Titus 66cm wide riser bar
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Titus grips.

  6. #81
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Here she is! No glamor shots here. 20lbs. Rides nice!

    should be a touch over 19 pounds when I upgrade the brakes, crank, and pedals.

    2013 Race bikes-photo-7.jpg

    18in 2013 Optimus Ti frame
    Niner RDO fork
    Specialized Roval Control SL wheels
    XTR cranks
    XX shifter
    X0 derailleur
    1x10 with Paul
    M785 XT brakes
    Ashima AI2 rotors 160mm
    Truvativ T40 seatpost

    142x12mm rear end and 15mm maxle front!

    Cant wait to take it out today and get it dirty!

    Oh yeah, named 'The White Unicorn' by our own Crosstown Stew.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  7. #82
    I'd rather be riding
    Reputation: zippinveedub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    695
    Sweet bike man!

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    499
    That is purdy! Can you make it SS easily if so desired?

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    71
    You are upgrading on XTR? I was glad to be putting XT on my SS.

  10. #85
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    That is purdy! Can you make it SS easily if so desired?
    Thanks fellas for the compliments! I cant wait to get my first ride on it in an hour or so.
    Yep. Very high quality sliders. Here is a pic

    2013 Race bikes-photo-8_zps62276717.jpg


    Enjoy the upside down picture! cuz I cant figure out how to remove it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-photo-8.jpg  

    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Here she is! No glamor shots here. 20lbs. Rides nice!

    should be a touch over 19 pounds when I upgrade the brakes, crank, and pedals.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-7.jpg 
Views:	3168 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	776251



    18in 2013 Optimus Ti frame
    Niner RDO fork
    Specialized Roval Control SL wheels
    XTR cranks
    XX shifter
    X0 derailleur
    1x10 with Paul
    M785 XT brakes
    Ashima AI2 rotors 160mm
    Truvativ T40 seatpost

    142x12mm rear end and 15mm maxle front!

    Cant wait to take it out today and get it dirty!

    Oh yeah, named 'The White Unicorn' by our own Crosstown Stew.

    Congrats. She is a real beauty!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  12. #87
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Here is an update. This is, hands down, the BEST frame I have ever ridden.
    It blew my mind how stiff and solid the BB feels when hammering, but when landing jumps and plowing through roots the frame just soaks it all up! Its like the flex is localized vertically.

    All my steel bikes would bounce around over the rough but this one sticks to the dirt. Not to mention, the steel bikes were noodleier in the BB at the same time!

    Thought yall would like to know
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  13. #88
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Here is an update. This is, hands down, the BEST frame I have ever ridden.
    It blew my mind how stiff and solid the BB feels when hammering, but when landing jumps and plowing through roots the frame just soaks it all up! Its like the flex is localized vertically.

    All my steel bikes would bounce around over the rough but this one sticks to the dirt. Not to mention, the steel bikes were noodleier in the BB at the same time!

    Thought yall would like to know

    As steel is stiffer than titanium, one could design a steel race frame with the same characteristics... 44mm headtube, oversized downtube (though not needed to be as oversized as the one on your Optimus Ti), and a BB30/PF30 bottom bracket shell should easily do the trick.

    I'll have one that ticks those boxes in a week or two; I'll post pics when it's ready.

    Your bike is gorgeous, BTW. A responsive bike is a wonderful thing

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yellowducman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    66
    For the shorter races I'm using this.



    For the endurance races I'm using this.



    I'm using the same bikes as last year because I decided to do a Road Bike this year instead of a new mountain bike.



  15. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Here she is! No glamor shots here. 20lbs. Rides nice!

    should be a touch over 19 pounds when I upgrade the brakes, crank, and pedals.
    What cranks are you upgrading to? XX1? I am putting some XX1 cranks on my epic to make it 1x10. It's a pretty cheap way to get carbon cranks in the single speed variety. Everything I have heard is that they haven't needed a chain retention device as long as it's with a RD w/ clutch.

    What brakes and pedals are you getting?

  16. #91
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    I'll have one that ticks those boxes in a week or two
    Custom steel? Any more details? Im excited to see it. Carbon is cool and all(for a disposable frame).... But steel and Ti have soul!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  17. #92
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,289
    Sneak peek... post-alignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Custom steel? Any more details? Im excited to see it. Carbon is cool and all(for a disposable frame).... But steel and Ti have soul!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-sarif.jpg  


  18. #93
    FasCat Coaching
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,140
    This should be here shortly, Team bike for 2013. Will run it mostly stock, with swap for personal saddle, adding a stages power meter & throwing on some Schwalbe Rocket Ron's. But otherwise as you see it

    2013 Race bikes-alma29s10.jpg
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

  19. #94
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    What cranks are you upgrading to? XX1? I am putting some XX1 cranks on my epic to make it 1x10. It's a pretty cheap way to get carbon cranks in the single speed variety. Everything I have heard is that they haven't needed a chain retention device as long as it's with a RD w/ clutch.

    What brakes and pedals are you getting?
    Yep! XX1 is so cheap compared to anything else. Its gotta be the lack of rings or something(or to make up for that cassette )... Not to mention the tooth profile is designed for 1x. My XTR ring is designed to shift and it does exactly that even when I dont want it to. I want a Type 2 derailleur, but thats on the back burner for now. I would probably run a chain keep anyway for peace of mind. I wouldnt want a flying stick or squirrel to wedge in and toss my chain and cost me a race.

    For pedals, I put on new Time ATAC XC 8 carbons. 40g less than standard ATAC XS pedals. Just installed those today. Work okay... I may do a review thread about the fine details. I looked at the Ti spindled ones, but I value my calf muscles too much to risk it.

    As for brakes, im between formula R1s and XTR race. I love the function of my XTs but I wanna shed some weight where I can. The R1s are lighter and italian, but the XTRs have more pad clearance...

    First world problems.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  20. #95
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    Sneak peek... post-alignment.
    Hot damn! Look at those stays and dropouts! Cant wait to see the end result.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  21. #96
    Let's fly!
    Reputation: MultiRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post


    FRAMESET: Specialized S-Works Epic 29
    WHEELS: ENVE Twenty9 XC with DT Swiss 240s Hubs
    TIRES: Maxxis IKON EXC EVO
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XO Gripshift
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM XO
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM XO
    CRANK: SRAM XO
    BOTTOM BRACKET: SRAM PF30
    CASSETTE: SRAM XX 11-36
    CHAIN: SRAM PC-1091
    PEDALS: Crankbrothers Eggbeater 3 with Titanium Spindles
    BRAKES: Magura MT-8
    ROTORS: Magura Storm SL (Soon to be Kettle Cycles Carbon)
    HANDLEBAR: ENVE Sweep Bar
    STEM: ENVE 90mm Stem
    HEADSET: FSA Carbon Tapered
    SADDLE: Specialized Toupe Pro LTD
    SEAT POST: ENVE Zero Offset
    BOTTLE CAGES: Arundel Sideloader Matte Carbon

    All in all, it comes out to right about 22lbs and it rips! And, yes, I have cut the cables down since the picture

    And I just took my first MTB XC win last weekend on it!
    Sweet!!! What size is your frame? How much do the bars weigh? The seatpost? the wheels (please specify with/without rotors, axle, tubeless strip, etc)?
    Did you buy an S-Works frame and build it? or did you buy a complete bike and then start replacing?
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

  22. #97
    Let's fly!
    Reputation: MultiRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    384
    2013 Race bikes-2012-12-02-new-s-works-frame-105_6493.jpg2013 Race bikes-small-2010-10-spec-epic-down-rocks-mt-falconsam_0400.jpg2013 Spec Epic S-Works size large with Industry 9 wheels with Crest rims, KCNC seat post (pic has Crank Bros Kronolog which I replace with the KCNC for racing), SRM power meter.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

  23. #98
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Hot damn! Look at those stays and dropouts! Cant wait to see the end result.
    HT junction. Should be stiff, but very light for steel. Very stoked. Similar build to yours (1x10, but using a suspension fork).

    BTW, go with the XTR brakes. Certainly light enough and far and away the best brakes I've ever used (Magura, Formula, Hope, etc.).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Race bikes-sarifht.jpg  


  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    494
    my budget racer I just built up w/ some carbon bits....allot different riding style them my rumblefish

  25. #100
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,584
    Dang that Rocky looks good. I hear they pedal like a HT and descend wonderfully. Sweet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •