FasCat Coaching

2013 PRO XCT Schedule

Schedule has been released USA Cycling Unveils 2013 US Pro XCT Calendar | Cyclingnews.com

Looks to be a good spread out across the US (finally, but always can improve right?). BIG month of racing from June 22- Nationals in July.

Does this still interest the community or has everyone moved on to local/endurance racing. If so, what has made you move on? What would make you come back?
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    About freaking time.

mtbr member
    My question is; if Lance Armstrong is banned from cycling why is a UCI event, on the USAC Pro XCT schedule being hosted and sponsered by his shop/ranch?

What part of total ban isn't being understood?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Ill be there reppin' Alabamastan at BnG in Birmingham on June 2nd!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    My question is; if Lance Armstrong is banned from cycling why is a UCI event, on the USAC Pro XCT schedule being hosted and sponsered by his shop/ranch?

What part of total ban isn't being understood?
    The race is no longer on his property (it wasn't a ranch, by the way; in Texas, ranches have cattle typically). He sold his property. The race is at Flat Creek Crossing Ranch. And before you say Mellow Johnny's is his shop, you might ask what financial stake he has in it. Yes, I think he was an investor, but it's probably a mistake to say it's "his" shop.

mtbr member
    Sorry, didn't know all the details. I was under the impression he owned the shop, and I'm glad to hear the race is not on his property, and is continuing.

Interesting when you Google "Mello Johnny's" it says

Mellow Johnny's
    Mellow Johnny's
    Bicycle store in Austin owned by Lance Armstrong. Carrying Trek and other lines. Commuter center with showers.

FasCat Coaching
    Looks like the race will be back at Juan Pelota Ranch according to VeloNews (but no longer owned by LA)
    FasCat Coaching

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=sprocketjockey9;9960285]Looks like the race will be back at Juan Pelota Ranch according to VeloNews (but no longer owned by LA)[/QUOTE

Hmm. I read the article differently: "Mellow Johnny’s Classic communication director Ted Arnold confirmed to VeloNews Tuesday afternoon that, for the second year running, the race will be held on the Flat Creek Crossing Ranch, owned by nonprofit organization Child, Inc. The previous venue, Juan Pelota Ranch, last hosted the race in 2011." This is correct. I live in Austin and have been to both venues. Last year the race was at Flat Creek but before that it was at Lance A's property. When the article says, “We were able to convince the property owners to re-open it to mountain biking,” he added. “What it offers really is better trails, and then better logistics, especially for the teams,” it's talking about Flat Creek, which is an old mtb venue here in central Texas. Anyway, wherever the race is held I hope you non-Texans come out.

FasCat Coaching
    they definitely went back and did a rewrite, that's not what it said this am but no big deal. Sounds like thats a better venue
    FasCat Coaching

mtbr member
    So the UCI and USAC don't have a problem working with a "banned for life from cycling" title sponsor?

I don't understand how this isn't a problem. Are we so desperate for sponsors that international lifetime bans and being labeled the greatest fraud in cycling can still sponsor and event permitted by UCI and USAC?

mtbr member
    Lance Armstrong has participated a lot in Texas mountain bike racing and helped promote it by his involvement. I'm not going to say he didn't deserve what he got but he's not the devil, either, just a man.

On another subject, ain't nothing wrong with a little Bump N' Grind, can't wait to cheer on the pros again next summer!

Now broadcasting from CO
    Stoked for a Pro XCT race back in VT! I loved racing Mt. Snow, and hopefully Catamount will be just as good. Also, if you don't come to Nats in PA you are an utter fool.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    Also, if you don't come to Nats in PA you are an utter fool.
    Ill be there and Im also an utter fool.

I'd rather be riding
    I'm stoked to have a USAC sanctioned series in VA this year. I'll be doing that and hopefully hitting up nationals in PA too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    are there any vids floating around of the resort trail in PA Nats is being held at?

It'll be my first trip up there...I hope.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I'm stoked to have a USAC sanctioned series in VA this year. I'll be doing that and hopefully hitting up nationals in PA too!
    Do you have an URL for this series?

Thanks in advance.

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    Stoked for a Pro XCT race back in VT! I loved racing Mt. Snow, and hopefully Catamount will be just as good. Also, if you don't come to Nats in PA you are an utter fool.
    I'll be at Nats for sure. Do wish I could make Catamount as I loved the old Mt. Snow WC/Norba race course. Nothing like good ol fashioned east coast gnar.

Hoping to make Missoula, Windham & possibly Subaru Cup (if I decide to drive to Nats)
    FasCat Coaching

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    are there any vids floating around of the resort trail in PA Nats is being held at?

It'll be my first trip up there...I hope.

Not my video but I recognized some of the trails from the races that are part of the MASS series. They are riding in the opposite direction than that of the races that have been held there. Those rocks are a little harder to get over going uphill.

mtbr member
    Heard from a guy that I did the nys series with who did a race on the course this summer... course was really rocky and technical. Keep in mind he was admittedly new to mountain biking but from how he described it, it sounded like it would most likely be much rockier than what many typical mtb races are like. I'm making an assumption about that, so I could be dead wrong. I've been on a mtb since 7th grade so it sounds challenging but not challenging in the way that it will be for the roadies on mtb's.

BTW - raced for the 1st time last year at CAT 3, going to apply for an upgrade to CAT2 (which I should get) and thinking of racing Nationals just to do it. I'm going to assume that I'm going to get absolutely crushed by the competition?
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    Heard from a guy that I did the nys series with who did a race on the course this summer... course was really rocky and technical. Keep in mind he was admittedly new to mountain biking but from how he described it, it sounded like it would most likely be much rockier than what many typical mtb races are like. I'm making an assumption about that, so I could be dead wrong. I've been on a mtb since 7th grade so it sounds challenging but not challenging in the way that it will be for the roadies on mtb's.

BTW - raced for the 1st time last year at CAT 3, going to apply for an upgrade to CAT2 (which I should get) and thinking of racing Nationals just to do it. I'm going to assume that I'm going to get absolutely crushed by the competition?
    There is now way of finding out till you try! Or race singlespeed. In that case, you can make excuses about how you were racing against Pros.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    I've raced the PA nat course and there was a real nice amount of
    rocks, though this was a couple seasons ago.

I also remember that if it rained a day or two before that the course was still
    wet and muddy on race day in some parts because of a tree canopy blocking the sun.

Either way I am stoked about it being at this location and can not wait!