Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 Training Check Up

4K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  mtnbean 
#1 ·
Just wanted to start a thread to see where everyone was on their 2012 training.

What is your plan?
How is your training coming along? Results thus far?
What are you doing differently this season?

I'll start:

What is your plan?
16 weeks of base training (8-12 hours/week, Zone 1/2) + 8 weeks of build (8-10 hours week, zone 3/4/5).

How is your training coming along?
I just finished base (started in Oct.) and I'm starting base now. Based on 20 minute TT tests my FTP is up ~15%.

Serious focus on base training. Last year I started base training much too late and lacked discipline during most of the rides. I also decided to work on my pedaling efficiency this year as well. My goals were to increase cadence and workout a pedaling imbalance I had.

See less See more
#2 ·
What am I doing differently?
I actually toned things down a bit and rode a "base" period (which just ended, Yahoo!).
It was fun tooling around for hours on end in z2, riding with different people; I embraced and really enjoyed it.
But now it's time to bring in some intensity.

First race is in the beginning of April, and there are about a half dozen before the end of May.

#4 ·
I was doing 4 or 5 days a week on the rollers since mid november. I started getting pretty burnt out on riding inside, and I've been outside snow shoeing and xc skiing instead. I think I'm going to buy a fat bike tomorrow though, and ride my anthem for another season... :thumbsup:

#7 ·
What is your plan?

Jan: 8-10hrs week. Mixture of XC skiing and riding. May replace aerobic exercise with DH skiing
Feb: 8-12hrs week. Mixture of XC skiing and riding. May replace aerobic exercise with DH skiing. Towards the end of the month start doing long rides on the weekend instead of long skis.
March: 10-14hrs week. Just about all riding, with a bit of XC skiing if the conditions are decent.
April: 12-15hrs week. All riding, with non-structured intensity sessions.
May-June. Structured intensity with racing.
July-August. Mainly base work, with some races thrown in. Too busy traveling to do much racing.

Badly. Two weeks ago the weather went to the craps which really through me off. Last week was good, this week I am sick as a dog. But before that it was going well.

Training a bit more in the winter. Kept a considerably higher level of fitness through fall.
[/QUOTE]

#8 ·
What is your plan?Have fun, ride a lot of z2-3, 20% z4+ building up to Nationals in July

How is your training coming along?Coming along ok, two bad winter crashes slowed me down a bit but rolling well now and ahead of schedule. Raced one, felt crappy and got 4th.

What are you doing differently this season?In mid cross season I was diaged with early onset Parkinson's so I'm doing everything differently for the first time since 1992.
A lot less road, fewer risky moves and a lot more fun.
Strava says I'm 2 months ahead of previous years times on the same trails so thats a plus.

Goal:Do the best I can in every Cat 1 race I enter on the pavement and dirt and beat as many people without a disability as possible.

#10 ·
Thanks, I'm rockin on the MTB........my right hand makes the road bike a little 'shakey' to say the least. Not digging the shifting ect

So I'm not going to worry about pinning on a number any time soon, my team is supportive and I'm focused on the MTB and having fun every day.

Its a good plan I think

#11 ·
What is your plan?
Racing starts in 2 weeks with Old Pueblo then down to Texas for Mellow Johnny Pro XCT, but I'm mostly working on building aerobic endurance at this time period and looking forward to June/July/August racing

Just finished a strength training regiment and loads of base miles. We're having a very mild winter in CO and it's been easy to get out and rack up the time. I'm below race weight for past 2 season and feeling stronger than ever.

Structured work, I know, yes I'm a coach but I never dedicated the time to myself to write a plan and follow it. This year following some structure and working on my weaknesses & really getting after it this season. I'm truthfully really excited to race this year and haven't been the past few season (plus a few new bikes helps the stoke factor)

#13 ·
What is your plan?

No ral plan. I do what I can and try to ride with the wife as much as possible. I do aim for fairly high volume spread as evenly as possible through the week.

Good. I am having fun and my winter weight is coming off nicely. Lots of riding with the wife that I missed dearly last year.

Trail running and swimming on my easier days. Trying to make sure I don't get burned out and adding in some other stimuli seems to be keeping my mind working and my body adapting. I don't know if it will make me a better bike racer but I think it might make me a more well rounded athlete.

#14 ·
What is your plan?
Friel 400 Hours.
12 weeks base
8 weeks build

I am currently halfway through Base 3

My LTHR is up a couple of beats. My power may be up a bit. My last test was during a heavy weight phase of my program, and my legs were a bit tired.

My weight is a bit higher than where I want (about where I was last year), and ~15 pounds higher than where I was at the end of 2010. Feeling kind of "skinny fat" right now.

1) I started my weights earlier (but still not earlier enough).
2) I increased my plan by 50 hours. This should help most in base, and I am putting in the long (~3 hour) days in the saddle through the winter.
3) Racing with gears.

#15 ·
What is your plan?
I've mapped out about 650 hours for the training year. It's some tweak of Friel that I've found works for me.

Very well. I've been solidly doing 12-14 hours a week of training (not all on the bike) thanks to a dry winter in Durango since mid November. My base rides have been faster than they were last year at this time, and I've gotten more hours in by about 10%.

Right now all I'm doing differently is using a heart monitor again. Last year I just did perceived exertion to monitor myself. That has its benefits, but now I'm finding the HRM helps me stay on/off the gas when I need to. Later on, once race season starts, my goal is to not train too much to race effectively. Last year I really raced well when rested, but I REALLY like to go for huge rides when the trails are open. We'll see how this plan goes.

#16 ·
I'm commuting 5-6 hrs a week with a 2 zone focus : get warm, then stay warm. Today I'm looking at a balmy -15 F degree commute and maybe -20 on the way home at night. Aside from that shenanigans, I try and get out for a few runs a week and mix in some kettlebell and yoga. Yeah, it's pretty low key but it's my second year of riding consistently. I did try xc skiing last weekend and was surprisingly good at it and got a pretty good workout for the first attempt.

#17 ·
Plan:
12 weeks of base, 9 weeks of build, 3 weeks of peak/race. 2, one hour rides on T, T then one 1.5 and one 2-3 hour ride on S, S.
Using MBTB for formatting of the plan and "Training Plans for cyclists" (really pleased with the base plans in this book)

Training is going ok. Due to redoing our floors and Christmas vacation out of town, I skipped some training time but on track now. I build in extra weeks into my plan for stuff like this so I'll still get everything in I need.

Different this season-I did significantly more strength training in in prep and build this year and ran a bit which got me feeling really balanced. I've added a power meter to my training. I rarely feel centered on my bike due to elevated/rotated hips so I'm working on correcting "crooked hips".

#18 ·
Great thread!!

PLAN:
Somewhere between 350 and 400 hrs using Friel's MTB training bible. Only my second season riding or racing though or else I'd do more. Due to the birth of my first child in September though my season ended early last year and I'm doing an extended base and adding a "Base 4" period. Goal is to peak June 16 for the Ute Valley Pro XTC. Racing Cat 2, hope to move to Cat 1 after the Ute Valley race.

How's it going?
Great! Been riding 1.5-2 hours every morning before work while playing video games. My wife has no objections to me riding the trainer, it's when I'm gone all day that she objects to it. Luckily I've come to love the trainer more than road rides (weird, I know) so it's going great. In a test last week I realized my LTHR has gone from 167 to 172!

What are you doing differently?

Basically everything. Adding structure and a plan, doing base instead of just building. Did decent mid pack Cat 2 last season my first season riding or racing, hope to move up this year.

#19 · (Edited)
What is your plan?
12 weeks of base training. Started 1st week December integrating long hikes on weekends. Tempo in January, and starting OU work last few weeks. 10-13 hour weeks. Next couple will be 13 and 16 for the biggest hours of the year, targeting a peak in April/May.

Started with an FTP of 3.0 W/kg beginning of December. All signs point to 3.4-3.5 this month, while doing mostly aerobic work. Currently at a good winter weight of 165, targeting 160 for mid summer.

Had some spare change this year so hired a coach again. Going to hit both Nationals this year (mountain (Idaho) and road (Oregon)) since they are both relatively close......just to race something different.

#20 ·
What is your plan?
Have never ever trained with a structured plan in the past. I just ride a lot (10 - 14 hours a week avg) and chase faster riders than me. This year though, since I pulled a lower back muscle in early November that sidelined me for a little while, and I'm not skiing much this winter due to a crappy (for skiing, but great for riding) winter up in Tahoe, I've been doing an 'unstructured structured' kind of plan. Been doing just "base" type long road bike rides since mid November as soon as my back started feeling better. The injury helped force me to just spin with no hard efforts for quite awhile. December came and around the holidays I was able to log a 25 hour week and a 18 hour week back to back so I've been able to get the volume up a bit this year. My first A race is in April (Sea Otter) so now that's its February I'll be starting to ramp up intensity a bit.

Unlike most of you here...I have no idea what my FTP is or any idea what kind of power numbers I should target, or what my zones are, etc. (the only idea I have about my power output is the estimates that Strava spits out post ride). Had first training race of 2012 a week and a half ago and got a second overall while on the SS so I guess things are going well...I definitely notice that I don't have my "punch" right now up climbs, but I know that'll come later.

Not much except riding more during the winter when I am usually skiing. I thought about buying the Bible. Creating a structured plan with so many weeks of base and so many weeks of base II and so many weeks of this and that yadda yadda...but having all that structure would drive me nuts. I don't want to take this that seriously, so I just ride when I want (luckily I'm very motivated) with a flexible goal of logging a certain number of hours per week and let perceived exertion be a guide in the back of my mind.

#21 · (Edited)
PLAN:
Built a great base this year. Mostly unstructured but a ton of zone 2-3 for about 9-13 hours per week. New team this year so big goals; won 4 races last year (Cat 1) and got 2nd in the Southern Classic (Maxxis) MTB series in 30-39. Hope to win the series this year so very motivated.

I would like to earn my pro license this season as well.

How's it going?
Just transitioned to structured intervals (2x/week) and feel great. Doing 2x20's last week I beat my previous best 20 minute power on the second interval without really aiming to do it beforehand. Currently at 4.25 w/kg FTP or so and improving steadily. Weight is right at race weight from last season (145 lbs.) and holding well.

What are you doing differently?
More structured intervals vs. hard group road rides. Seems like a better recipe for long-term improvement. Not racing just to race but picking my battles wisely so I can focus on the races I really care about. Skipped cyclocross this year for this reason and feel it will pay off. Paying attention to core and full-body strength for the first time (prompted by a lower-back injury from running in the offseason) and it is really paying off- lots of bodyweight exercises, unilateral squats, balance stuff, light gymnastics, stretching- seems to really help me put the power to the pedals more effectively, as well as keeping my back happy.

Oh yeah, went gluten-free a couple of months back. Weight did not change but my waist is 1-2 inches smaller now...

#23 ·
What is your plan?
Not ride so much. Last year I carried the highest training load I ever had, but my racing performance ended up no better (and eventually worse) than years past. Ended up developing some nutritional deficiencies, I think partly as a result of riding too much. When I got things sorted with a dietitian I snapped back in a few weeks and had some of my best races ever, but the season was 90% over by then.
I'm racing enduro/super D this year, so working on actually being able to ride a bike downhill fast.

I skipped cyclocross so I could do more mountain biking, it was a good choice because we had an awesome fall. As a result I came into January with a higher than usual training load. First race is first week of March, so I have another week of just riding lots (mostly zone2), then start some threshold intervals and race pace mountain bike rides.

Fitness wise I'm sticking to what has worked in the past: ride lots, alternate easy and hard days, don't forget rest days. Really looking to bump up my riding skills this year for enduro: mtb rides at least 2x per week, learning some trials skills, and riding DH trails on my trail bike. For the first time I've been working on improving fast twitch sprint/neuromuscular power. 10 sec sprint workouts on the bike, and heavy (for me) squats in the off season. I'm quite week in this area and finally managed to break 1k watt in a sprint this last month.

#29 ·
What is your plan?
Ended up developing some nutritional deficiencies, I think partly as a result of riding too much. When I got things sorted with a dietitian I snapped back in a few weeks and had some of my best races ever, but the season was 90% over by then.
I'm curious what kind of deficiencies you had-I know my iron can get low and if I don't eat enough protein it's not good.

I take a vitamin stack and whey protein daily which helps

#24 ·
What is your plan?

Not such as structured plan but just a general idea of what i want to do. Right now try to ride as much as possible mixing in fun rides with friends and so on to avoid burn out later in the season. Tying to ride 10+ hours a week.

Great, way ahead of where i was last year. Although i was just coming off a serious injury. but still i feel great. Have lost some substantial wheight since last year. :)

Much more base miles as i had to jump right into it last year. Also enjoying hiking time with my wife and our new kid. No joke that stroller with our kid in it is tough to push up some hills that i didn't even now were there. ha-ha

Good luck this season everyone!

#25 ·
I wasn't going to play, but I changed my mind.

What is your plan?

Solid base after a long prep/holding phase through the dark and cold of winter, and then setting up for a solid summer of racing.

I think well. I had a low spot about 3 weeks ago and was kind of in a weird headspace. Got out of that right quick and ever since I've been full steam ahead. Cleaned up my diet, shed some weight, focusing on sleep, and nailing my training sessions. Last FTP test wasn't very good, but I've changed a lot in the past few weeks and am re-invigorated, so am hoping the next test goes MUCH better.

Basically everything. I have never had such low volume and intensity in winter as I did Oct-Dec this season. Well, since I started racing anyway. Last year I wound up with a massive foot injury that kept me off the bike (blah blah nevermind). This year I got winter cycling shoes, electric battery powered socks, and wear winter boots almost full time otherwise (like at work). So far it seems to be working.

In addition to the low volume/intensity period in early winter, I've always peaked for early season events here in So Cal like Fontana and tried for Sea Otter (missed it 2010-2011). This year I won't be shooting for an early season peak at all, so will be a bit under fitness and form compared to some, but the plan is set up that way, so hopefully I'll be going full bore a bit later in the year and ready to tackle some exciting big new events (for me).

#31 ·
dark and cold of winter
:D you do realize you live in California, that really doesn't applly :D

I don't even consider Colorado to have winter anymore (as I speak we're getting 20 inches of snow). Pretty much every training day outside here has been above freezing for riding making it pretty easy.

Now my brethren from Upstate NY where I hail from (& all parts of the Northeast, etc) who are out there training 6 hours in 10 degree weather on snow covered roads and won't see the sun until June. That's the dark and cold of winter :thumbsup:

oh and to update my training post since this is about training. I just tried out skate skiing last night for the first time ever. With the snow and new found fun, I pretty much want to rewrite my whole training plan and do like LMN and go ski. It was so much fun and so incredibly hard at the same time. Way harder than I imagined

#27 ·
What is your plan?
Working with a coach. Was off the bike entirely due to school/work for all of the summer and most of the fall. Rode 10 weeks of base at 15-20hrs/wk starting in mid-November. Starting build right now at 14-18hrs/week.

Good I think. 20min TT test show my watts/kg is up significantly since the beginning of base.

Coach and focusing my training on crit racing. Last year I rode half as many hours and had no plan whatsoever. I just went out rode as hard as I could every time. Time will tell if this benefits my mtb'ing.

#28 ·
What is your plan?
650h of training. I want to get some good results at some elite category races but my main goal will be the world championships in Mountainbike orienteering in Hungary in august (the sport doesn't exist in the us - check wiki if you wanna know what it's all about).

My training year starts nov 1. And I've had my ups and downs so far. I was sick for 4 weeks in nov-dec so that put be back a bit. But I've been training well after that. Training gets easier now as we get a little bit more sunlight here in Sweden.

The last couple of years I've been competing in both running and cycling at an elite level and I feel that this has affected my preformance in both sports in a bad way. This year I'm going all in for cycling and I hope it will pay off.

#30 ·
What is your plan?
Focus more on marathons. XC races are dying in my country.

- Increasing total hours from 500 to 700.
- For the first time performing a complete base training program for 4 months. This year I am not skipping weight and efficiency training (speed skills).
- Not skipping endurance workouts throughout the year.
- Avoiding pollution the most I can.
- Training in the morning instead of after work. Training in the night became too depressing.
- Maintaining a strict paleo diet.
- Doing some groups rides, instead of none.

- Since I am doing longer rides and trying to avoid crowded roads because of pollution, the MTB is the tool of choice and the destinations are getting nicer and nicer. It is really great to do a long road ride, hit a trail and then go straight to work with mud on my feet and getting a cold shower just before sitting on my desk. This feels awesome.
- Motivation is up 50%, as well as anxiety. My sleep is crap right now.
- In general I am more tired than I wanted to be. But I got a plan!

#38 ·
What is your Plan
Got a Coach this year, following his plan exactly, watching my diet, and get down to 170-175#
What are you doing different
Coach - what a difference, in the 4 weeks vs my "half-@ss" training plan
How is your training coming along
Fantastic, not only do I feel stronger, but I went down Arizona to race since the snow is so bad in Utah. This is my base period, and I walked away from everyone - I actually "raced" in zone 3 heart rate the entire race and won my catagory. Can't wait to see what happens when I peak.

#39 ·
What is your plan?
Strength training 12 weeks (4 days a week) plus spin 2 days a week and another non cycling cardio (usually boxing). After strength training is finished I will look at circuit training for cutting weight.

Going well. Been on the schedule no missed day since Dec. 1st. Strength is definitely up flexibility and core is increasing more.

Big focus on core strength. Doing what I call classic strength training" focusing on compound exercises (bench, deadlifts, and squats). During cardio I am looking at anaerobic threshold as much as possible and seeing how long I can sustain until fail and how intense I can get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.