mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2010 Spark RC v 2010 S Works Epic

I'm considering either of these two bikes for the 2010 XC season. I would really appreciate some good feed back on both of these beauties positive or negative and experiences with handling,stiffness, too much bob etc! Thanks in advance, cheers.

mtbr member
    either would be a solid race rig. i've ridden both in tyhe past but not the 2010 versions. it is a toss up. either bike is a great xc race rig, i like both. i would have a hard time deciding between the two.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Scott, but I can tell you that the Epic has zero pedal bob thanks to the Brain.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have never ridden a scott but they sure seem nice!

comparing what i do know...

suspension:
    brain is awesome, pedal bob sucks. brain is better than lockouts IMO

geometry:
    seems close enough, 70 deg HTA on both.

weight:
    should be very close. Scott may have an edge here.

i would go with whichever one you can get better support for (providing the Brain doesn't sway you). i have no dealings with Scott so don't know if they are good on support, but Specialized does a great job supporting their products IME.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks to everyone so far for ther input! Saw both these bikes at the Roc! Both looked incredible no test rides however.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The Scott is pretty, the Spec is ugly, that would seal the deal for me. Yeah, I'm shallow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    The Scott is pretty, the Spec is ugly, that would seal the deal for me. Yeah, I'm shallow.
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, since I feel just the opposite.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Never ridden a scott so this is a one sided input: I LOVE my Swork! I do agree that w/ the epic you get no bob w/out ever having to lock out your shock...best of both worlds....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't know about the Epic, but I LOVE my 09 Spark... Can't imagine anything riding any better.. I'm sure they're very close though..

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    I have friends who each own a spark and Epic.

First, the Spark: Climbs crazy fast, and has the ability to change rear suspension travel from Locked, to 2.7" to 4" on the fly w/ handlebar mounts. This is a light race bike.

Friend w/ the Epic: Bikes climbs awesome, however, it took a month of trial and error to get the brain set up properly, which was a real pain but once set, it is great. Also, the Brain is proprietary to Specialized, where, the Spark, can use almost any shock matching the eye to eye length. If the brain breaks, you have to call Specialized.

I am leaning toward the Spark. Lighter bike, adjustable on the fly rear shock adjustment, and, Oh, did I say LIGHT!!!

I used to ride a bit faster than my friend before he purchased his Spark. After purchasing the Spark, our first ride up this grueling 20minute steep climb, he kept pulling away, and ended up being a few minutes faster. Can't believe a bike can make that much of a difference. I guess if it's the right bike!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and opinions! Has anyone total weights and pictures of size large in both these bikes, cheers.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and opinions! Has anyone total weights and pictures of size large in both these bikes, cheers.

Scott RC Spark is : 20.93 lbs or 9.5 kg Just an FYI: the Spark RC comes w/ the new SRAM XX gearing.
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/8281/44689/spark_rc

Epic S works is : 23 lbs or 10.5 kg
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...works-10-35326