Thread: 2010 Early Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. 2010 Early Race

Looking for a race in March/April/May to start training for. Hoping for someplace warmer than Michigan (no ice either.) Just finished up Iceman and need something a little closer than June. Willing to travel about 7 hours south (ish). So looking at OH, TN, AR, AL, GA.

I like the 50 milers, but anything in the 27-50 mile region would be fun.

Love to hear/see suggestions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There's the Snake Greep Gap TT Series:

Jan 2, 2010 Race #1
    Feb 6, 2010 Race #2
    Mar 6, 2010 Grand Finale

As well as Southern 'Cross Jan 9, 2010: http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=9466

Those are some longer ones that'll make your time driving worth it. Those coupled with an XC race as part of my winter base training helped me reach a new level of fitness this past year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks! I'll take a look.

FasCat Coaching
    Ouachita Challenge in Arkansas is in April. 60 miles...
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Make the trip to Sea Otter. Best fields you will race all year. Worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    Make the trip to Sea Otter. Best fields you will race all year. Worth the trip.
    Sea Otter may have the best fields, but the Ouachita Challenge will have a much, much better course. And, it falls within the general geographic area the poster mentioned as a viable option.

Of course, if you're not up for a 60miler that early in the year, it's probably not the right race for early season.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Our first race of the year is in April
    www.root66raceseries.com

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Our first race of the year is in April
    www.root66raceseries.com
    ...And it is ridiculously fun! Why are you afraid to go North?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    +1 on Ouachita Challenge. It is end of march and brutal, but the trails are awesome and people are awesome. Did the 80 this year and have never suffered and had so much fun simultaneously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by amblake50
    +1 on Ouachita Challenge. It is end of march and brutal, but the trails are awesome and people are awesome. Did the 80 this year and have never suffered and had so much fun simultaneously.
    Due to scheduling issues, I did the Tour instead of the Race, and like you just loved it. In fact, I fell in love w/ riding in AR so much I've been back for two more events (Womble Classic & Eureka Springs) that I also highly recommend as well worth the trip (especially Eureka Springs).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out the SERC series
    http://www.goneriding.com/EVENTS_2010.htm

I have done #1(Gainesville, FL) twice and #3(Tsali, NC), both were great courses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The barry roubaix is pretty early in the season and located by yankee springs state rec area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erich
    Check out the SERC series
    http://www.goneriding.com/EVENTS_2010.htm

I have done #1(Gainesville, FL) twice and #3(Tsali, NC), both were great courses.
    The Tsali race in NC should be a staple in anyones spring training. Especially if you are traveling from far away and can stay for a while. The course is super fast, non technical, flowy singletrack with a good amount of climbing in the Smokey Mountains.

Then you can spend the rest of your trip in the neighboring forest known as Pisgah. In Pisgah (around Asheville, NC) you can ride all the epic trails you want. Everything from flowy singletrack to edge of the cliff gnar with all the technical riding you want and plenty of climbing. I think it's something like a million acres of forest with nothing but biking and hiking trails. Plenty of camping too - even free sites that are leveled with firepits!

That would be my vote.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, now I am getting ambitious, thinking I might get down to Florida before 12.31.09. What would be in Georgia/Florida/Ten between now and then yet? I've got my eye on a few for my return trip after Jan 1st.

Thanks for all the feedback.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just finished Iceman as well and support all the props for the Quichita Challenge as well. Better tune up your trail riding skills to goto Arkansas, it's not a 20mph sprint like iceman. The course has some of the finest singletrack I've ever had the pleasure to ride in a race setting. I've come down from Co to do it and it's worth the drive from anywhere. Watch out for reg. opening on dec15, it'll sell out in a day, and is limited to 250 riders. I regard it as one of the best events in the nation, for course quality, and rider support.

The Whiskey 50 in Prescott,AZ is another good one but a much further drive from Michigan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    FSC #8 @ Santos in Ocala 12/13
    http://www.goneriding.com/EVENTS.htm

Santos is one of IMBA's Epic trails
    http://www.imba.com/epics/santos_trail_system.html

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    +1 for the Ouachita Challenge in AR in late March. You have your choice of a 60 mile tour, 60 mile race, or 80 mile race.

http://www.ouachitachallenge.com/

Super singletrack on one of IMBA's Epic Trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Jeff the 80 miler has been discontinued.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    6 hours or Warrior Creek in Wilkesboro, NC - April 2010. www.bmcc.us for details.