mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2007 Specialized Epic Expert ( Did I make a good choice?)

So I came across a deal to buy the 07 Specialized Epic Expert in the photo. The bike is in really good cond and I picked it up for $1000. My only concern is.... Did I make the right choice. This is my first full suspension bike and I'm more of a weekend warrior. I like hitting the local trails and not really a racer. I bought the bike because I figured it was a good deal. How much abuse can this bike handle. I like to drop off things every now and then but only like 2 to 3' drops. Nothing extreme and the rest of the time it's just leisure trail riding. My other option would have been a 2009 Felt Redemption. I don't know. Did I purchase a good bike? Will it be ok for me? Thanks for any insight.

The Missing
    May 2007
    For a thousand bucks it is a good value, I would not be doing 2-3 foot drop offs on any cross country bike.

This bike can take a beating assuming the brain does not blow out on you.

get out there and ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Epic is as much of a do everything bike as you will find. You can race it or bomb down some pretty gnarly singletrack on it. It is a great choice.

I agree you probably want to stay away from big drops, unless you are fairly light or know how to land them smoothly. I can hit drops like that on the Epic, which is about the biggest drops I come across, but I've got a slight build so I don't stress the bike too much.

SSOD
    It's a good deal as long as it's been serviced. Forks, shock, hub bearings, and pivot bearings are usually what get serviced at some point. If they're in good shape then ride on. Good bike and good snag.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's certainly not intended to be a big drop super gnar gnar type of bike, it's a XC race bike. That said, the epic is a very versatile bike once you get used to the quick handling. Smaller drops and rock and root infested descents aren't a problem. Just don't expect to do the Red Bull Rampage on it.

You'll love how the bike climbs!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have an opportunity to buy this same bike for $600-750. Since it's ~7 years old at this point, is that still a decent value? Pricing seems in line with the Bicycle Blue Book value.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think that price is good if the bike is in good condition. I bought my 07 Epic new, and it has been trouble free the whole time I've had it. It is also very versatile as others have mentioned, and if it were to get stolen, I'd probably look for another.

Members who have read this thread: 1